silicone bronze air staples or nails

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
THE WALRUS
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

silicone bronze air staples or nails

Post by THE WALRUS » Mon Nov 30, 2009 9:16 pm

I am building frames for a 16' boat using 7/8'' thick african mahogany and 3/8'' marine plywood gussets. The gussets will be glued to the frames using System 3 GelMagic which I understand is a very strong glue. I was going to screw the gussets to the frames with silicone bronze screws, 5 screws in each frame part but started thinking that if I could get silicone bronze air staples or air nails 1'' long that it would really be quicker and easier than screws. Has anyone else used this method of building your frames and if so where would you buy the bronze staples or nails. The Walrus

Steven
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: silicone bronze air staples or nails

Post by Steven » Mon Nov 30, 2009 9:55 pm

What boat are you building? The boats built here do not use nails or screws, aside from temporarily screwing pieces together while the glue cures.

THE WALRUS
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by THE WALRUS » Mon Nov 30, 2009 10:29 pm

The boat I am building is called ''Wood Nymph'' a 16ft. cabin cruiser with a 6 1/2 ft. beam. The plans came from Clark Craft. I was not aware that this forum was only for stitch and glue builders and if it is then I am sorry for posting here. I thought boatbuilders were the kind of people who shared their knowledge and experiences and not snobby people who don't help others because they build using a different method of construction. The main thing is that you build. The Walrus

D2Maine
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by D2Maine » Mon Nov 30, 2009 10:54 pm

THE WALRUS wrote:The boat I am building is called ''Wood Nymph'' a 16ft. cabin cruiser with a 6 1/2 ft. beam. The plans came from Clark Craft. I was not aware that this forum was only for stitch and glue builders and if it is then I am sorry for posting here. I thought boatbuilders were the kind of people who shared their knowledge and experiences and not snobby people who don't help others because they build using a different method of construction. The main thing is that you build. The Walrus
that is a pretty unfair statement to make. this forum is for the support of bateau plans and products. as such the majority of the expertise is in other methods of boat building.

this question may best be directed to the support from clark craft or the wooden boat forums. but i gaurantee this is the best source of epoxy/glass/ply useage info available anywhere.

Steven

Post by Steven » Tue Dec 01, 2009 12:11 am

THE WALRUS wrote:The boat I am building is called ''Wood Nymph'' a 16ft. cabin cruiser with a 6 1/2 ft. beam. The plans came from Clark Craft. I was not aware that this forum was only for stitch and glue builders and if it is then I am sorry for posting here. I thought boatbuilders were the kind of people who shared their knowledge and experiences and not snobby people who don't help others because they build using a different method of construction. The main thing is that you build. The Walrus
The boats built from plans here, and for which this forum exists, do not use nails or screws. Thus, it is not the best forum to provide answers to questions about using the fastners for which you inquired. If you felt my response was snobbish, I'd suggest it's you who has a problem. Take 5 minutes and peruse this forum and you will find a community that is as friendly and helpful as any you'll come accross on the internets. I asked what boat you are building because this is a diverse community and it's possilbe some of our members might have experience with the construction technique and could thus provide an anser.

TomW
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW » Tue Dec 01, 2009 12:27 am

Walrus to put your mind at ease this forum is sponsered by Bateau.com for the purchasers of there plans and products or those interested in possibly purchasing a plan and building from those plans. If you purchased your materials from here or have questions on materials sold here, please feel free to ask questions on any of them at will. As far as asking quesions like the one above you won't get much help as it is not in our vocabulary and you would be better off using Clark Craft's forum if they have one.

Good luck on your build and sorry you took the answers of some as snobby we are not like that and will give you as much help as we can if we can in our area of expertise. It just doesn't happen to be in Clark Craft boats but in Bateau boats. Someone may have built a Clark Craft and have an answer for you.

Tom
Good fishing and red skys at night sailors delight
C17ccx, Mirror Dinghy

THE WALRUS
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by THE WALRUS » Tue Dec 01, 2009 12:39 am

Thanks Tom, you are one of the good guys. The Walrus

TW28RJ
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by TW28RJ » Tue Dec 01, 2009 7:14 am

You won't find staples in silicon bronze. They're made in SS and monel, but I don't believe in the size you're looking for. You can however find a large assortment of screws and nails in silicon bronze- however if I were you I would use screws. If you wanted to be slick dado the frames to accept the gussets use epoxy and screws.having said that the best advice is to follow the instructions in the plans and if you want to make changes ask the designer-

Good luck on your build!

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm » Tue Dec 01, 2009 8:35 am

Walrus, you are not "unwelcome" but we do not want to go all over the place in tech. support. This would confuse our builders.
I can already imagine the question "but you talked about screws in another thread" . . .

Solutions: either post in the section "Anything else" or post at amateurboatbuildign.com.

About your question:
I know the Clark Craft plans, they sell some of my early designs. All stitch and glue.
My opinion: if you use GelMagic, there is no need for permanent screws.
GelMagic is much stronger than any screws.
You may need temporary screws to keep the parts together while the Gel does it's Magic but you can remove them after wards.
If you want to leave them in, then go for the type you propose but it is a belt and suspenders way of building things.
That boat was designed when glues were less reliable.
Trust the epoxy, it is incredibly strong.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://bateau.com

ks8
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *
Location: Now a much longer sail to Tampa Florida! Back to NC, Youngsville FM05tw

Post by ks8 » Tue Dec 01, 2009 1:36 pm

Hello Walrus,

Dimitri built a more traditional method sailboat, that used some epoxy, and chronicled the build here. We are not allergic to fasteners, though this site is primarily S&G. You are very welcome here, though you may find a wider base of experience in other methods at amateurboatbuilding.com, which is somewhat like an *affiliate*. :D

I have about half a dozen SB screws in my S&G sailboat. The screws are embedded forever, unnecessary, but convenient at the time, and do not have the same rust risk or cost as SS screws, when starved of oxygen. Monel staples might fill your requirements if SB are unavailable (I never searched for them myself). Monel are available, as are SS staples, but I think Monel are cheaper (not much). I have only one reservation about staples, and that is the risk of them vibrating loose and working up through your epoxy seal and finish layers. Where I used screws, they are deeply embedded and shouldn't back out, ever. :lol:

Maybe someone here could comment on whether they ever had or saw a monel staple back out through a finish layer, from any reason at all. :) :?: Regarding the simplicity of screws vs staples... screws are pretty easy with a good screw gun, and much easier to remove once epoxy is cured, so the hole can be filled with epoxy and filler. :D Of course this ease drops off if you are using hundreds of them. :wink:

I'd push the *welcome* a little further and would like to see a couple of pictures of your build as you progress. :D Since you are using products purchased here, there should be no objections to posting them under the Builder's boats section, but, you will get more views posted on amateurboatbuilding.com. If you post on the abb site, please post a link to it on this thread, and tell us the username you use on abb so we can go have a look see, and enjoy your build progress with you. :D

When doing a search for say, Silicon Bronze staple, or monel staple, there would be a greater likelihood of more responses at abb, and more S&G related responses here, by design of having the two different sites, with this one primarily focused on S&G designs from Bateau. Enjoy! :)