FS18 by Hooter

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
hooter
Active Poster
Active Poster

FS18 by Hooter

Post by hooter » Sun Dec 27, 2009 1:57 pm

I have been building for a little while and figure its about time to post up on the build.

FS18 with rounded chine, modified plans to decrease sheer height and lower sole.
No plans for self bailing due to lowered sheer and sole.
Plans include tiller steer 20 HP and no deck opening for motor well.

All input on issues appreciated.

hOOter
Last edited by hooter on Wed Oct 26, 2011 6:30 pm, edited 3 times in total.

hooter
Active Poster
Active Poster

Re: FS18 by Hooter

Post by hooter » Sun Dec 27, 2009 2:18 pm

standyby....the posting of pictures has me baffled.

...all the reason I have been working for 3 months and have yet to post a picture. Darn computers get the best of me. I'd rather be building right now than tryin to figure this out.

hOOt

hooter
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by hooter » Sun Dec 27, 2009 4:01 pm

Rounded chine stitched with zip ties

finally figured out the picture thing...

hooter
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by hooter » Sun Dec 27, 2009 4:09 pm

Tabbed/filleted and ready for glass

hooter
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by hooter » Sun Dec 27, 2009 4:10 pm

Glass going on....that was a long night.

hooter
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by hooter » Sun Dec 27, 2009 4:13 pm

Some might remember I made a mixing error on that long night....

I scraped off the uncured epoxy and glass....

hOOter

TJS Redchaser
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by TJS Redchaser » Sun Dec 27, 2009 7:51 pm

hooter,

Lookin good. I debated about whether I wanted the round chine or not, I eventually decided against. Yours looks good though. So I guess there's at least three FS 18's that have build threads going now. Look forward to seeing yours progress.
The fishermen know that the sea is dangerous and the storm terrible, but they have never found these dangers sufficient reason for remaining ashore.

Vincent Van Gogh
ImageImage

hooter
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by hooter » Sun Dec 27, 2009 8:01 pm

Glassed hull

I decided to add a layer of 6 oz biax along the sides. This is a modification not called for in the lamination schedule. I wanted a little extra protection on the sides. I just have the fear of a small defect in the side of the boat leading to dreaded wood rot. Based on that I figured the added weight was worth the extra protection.

hOOter

hooter
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by hooter » Sun Dec 27, 2009 8:17 pm

fairing in process.

i hate fairing...probably because I am so bad at it and it shows all your prior imperfections.

You can see the blue line on the transom. This is the outline of my next major modification.

Overall I loved the design of the FS18 but I wanted a skiff with a lower profile and less wind influence. Most of the areas I fish are protected and accessible without large open water crossings. Based on this and a few measurements of another manufacture (they make a "skiff" that goes in the "glades") I lowered the sheer a few inches. I will also lower the sole (1 inch) to offset the loss of height. The lowered sole creates a loss of the self bailing nature of the boat. I will manage this with a bildge pump added later if needed. I will also place a drain in the sole to drain the open "cabin" to behind frame E.

thoughts appreciated.

hOOter

hOOter

longrod
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by longrod » Sun Dec 27, 2009 11:06 pm

Hey hooter, glad you started a thread, i been waitin to see what you got going on there.I am seriously debating wacking the rubrail off and lowering the sides also.That looks great .Keep it up man, and keep the pics coming .How much are you taking off the sides?
Man i love TEXAS! My FS-18 photo gallery http://gallery.bateau2.com/thumbnails.php?album=1095
Seabrook tx is home