Majorgator's XF20 - SPLASHED :)

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
majorgator
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: Majorgator's XF20

Post by majorgator » Sun Mar 07, 2010 7:01 am

Most folks would not appreciate what that means
It was one of the best "feel good" moments I've had in this process :wink:
And now.... fun.... part deux.
Fillets during the evenings this week. Interior glass and stringers next weekend. Framing over the next two weekends after that......Builder's Meet in May :?: Its gonna be tough :wink:

seth

Saved by the Blood of Jesus!
See my XF20 Build Thread

ks8
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *
Location: Now a much longer sail to Tampa Florida! Back to NC, Youngsville FM05tw

Post by ks8 » Sun Mar 07, 2010 2:09 pm

Maybe without paint? :) If she isn't bashful....

Else take your time without regrets. :D

Larry B
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Larry B » Sun Mar 07, 2010 2:28 pm

If everything goes right, I'll be flipping it 2 weekends from now.
Not bad, only 1 week off :wink: I can usually estimate a time frame if I allow myself a 6 month window 8O 8O
btw, boat is looking great :D
Completed: FL14, OD18

Tex 2009
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Tex 2009 » Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:59 am

Major G, how did you put the graphite on? Was it roll and tip or just roll on? Does the graphite make a ridge where it buts the taped off area or is it a flat edge?
Doug Grall
Huntsville, Texas

majorgator
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by majorgator » Mon Mar 08, 2010 12:07 pm

I put the graphite on with a foam roller, no tipping. For me, it didn't turn out quite as good as I was hoping, because I put it on too thick. I spoke with Richard afterwards, and he said that it has to go on real thin. It would have made a big difference in the finished product, as I ended up with quite a few very tiny tiny bubbles. Still looks very good though, nice and shiny, but you'll never see the bottom of this boat :wink: I put on 2 coats, plus a touch-up 3rd coat on a few spots. There is a tiny ridge where it was taped off, maybe 1/64". Its just enough that you can catch your fingernail on it. I don't see any reason to do anything about it.

seth
See my XF20 Build Thread

majorgator
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by majorgator » Fri Mar 12, 2010 10:10 pm

Inside fiberglass went in today. Just like the bottom, I got a few spots to fix up, but overall it looks good. And I'm most thankful that I don't have to sand it because it will generally be below deck.

I did not install the transom board yet, so that area has not been laminated. However I don't see any reason to use 1708 for this purpose. Just some 12 oz cloth will do. Now that I'm done with all the 1708 uses, I can officially say that I hated every second of working with it. Talk about some stuff that doesn't bend over ANY corner and swallows up gallons of epoxy in no time at all. Sheesh. I know we've kicked around the thought of using 2 layers of 1208 instead, so I wonder if Jacques has considered the pros or cons to that?

BTW - I've now went through 18 gallons of epoxy, which includes the graphite on the bottom. And I still have to tape the frames, stringers, and decks, as well the fiberglass on the deck and other misc. fabrications. Maybe I've been a little wasteful, but I don't I've been too bad. Looks like I'll be calling Joel soon.

seth
See my XF20 Build Thread

ks8
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *
Location: Now a much longer sail to Tampa Florida! Back to NC, Youngsville FM05tw

Post by ks8 » Sat Mar 13, 2010 12:31 am

You think you'd bring her to the meet with only primer? The calendar is flipping fast. Enjoy the build instead of a deadline. :)

As soon as there's enough structure in a picture or two, go get your HIN and Regi so there are no last minute surprise delays, if you are still trying to make it. :)

majorgator
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by majorgator » Sat Mar 13, 2010 6:33 am

If she's not 100% done, she won't be at the meet :wink: I've got to get more than the primer done, so I can hide some of the defects. :wink: :wink:
As soon as there's enough structure in a picture or two, go get your HIN and Regi so there are no last minute surprise delays...
Good idea. I'll get started with that as soon as there's a deck in place.

Seth
See my XF20 Build Thread

Larry B
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Larry B » Sat Mar 13, 2010 7:24 am

majorgator wrote:
BTW - I've now went through 18 gallons of epoxy, which includes the graphite on the bottom. And I still have to tape the frames, stringers, and decks, as well the fiberglass on the deck and other misc. fabrications. Maybe I've been a little wasteful, but I don't I've been too bad. Looks like I'll be calling Joel soon.

seth
Seth, looks like your pretty close to what others and myself are doing with the epoxy :D XF20 calls for 9 gallons, looks like you will be into the 20's 8O , OD18 calls for 7 gallons, CL was 21, Craig was 21 and I'll be around 25 :help: But you know we all build these different than each others, I just figure it's going to take as much as it takes 8O
Completed: FL14, OD18

majorgator
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by majorgator » Sat Mar 13, 2010 3:27 pm

XF20 calls for 9 gallons, looks like you will be into the 20's
Without looking at my plans, I believe the BOM for epoxy is 15 gallons when installing the sole. I might be wrong, but nonetheless...Ken told me that he used 13 gallons of epoxy on the double-layered bottom of the XF20 he built a few years back. Oh well...what's a little more money, right :cry: :cry:

seth
See my XF20 Build Thread