N FL FS 18

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Dutch1
Active Poster
Active Poster

Re: N FL FS 18

Post by Dutch1 » Mon May 28, 2018 8:06 am

Jeff,
I'll post updates on my thread to bring everyone up to speed.

Steve

johna
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by johna » Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:36 am

I'm slowly getting back in gear and have begun to tackle the details that take up mental bandwidth. I'm having to sort through boxes to find the precious stuff I thoughtfully purchased then later thoughtlessly shoved into boxes when I moved a while back. One issue that I'm struggling with is the fuel vent location. I recall reading that some builders just locate the vent in the cockpit to avoid any possibility of spray getting into the vent. That was my initial intention but the FS18 is small. That means segregating unfriendly elements (such as gas and electricity) is a challenge.

To get to the point I have decided that for safety I need to vent outside the hull. Can anyone provide some guidance about the best location for the vent in relation to the bow and waterline? My fuel tank is a small (8 gal) custom built tank that fits up in the very front of the boat. I'm thinking closer to the tank is better and somewhere close to the bow, ahead of where most of the bow spray will occur is best. There isn't much clearance between top of tank and deck so I will need to place the vent slightly below the rub rail to create some downhill run for the hose so any water that does get into the vent can drain back out. I'm thinking about 1-2 " below the rub rail and a foot or so aft of the very front of the boat. I know that is an area vulnerable to getting plunged. If I go further aft I have a longer run but have more potential for bow spray and the same potential of getting dunked if the boat lists heavily or a wave or wake hits broadside. Maybe I'm overthinking this but I'm really puzzled here. :doh:

A follow on question to this is should I close that forward compartment off completely so I can put my trolling motor battery in the next compartment aft? I am pretty sure the answer is- absolutely. In that case do I need to allow for ventilation in the forward space with something like clamshell vents? Are there vents that do a better job of creating airflow while limiting water intrusion?
Thanks.

Dutch1
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Dutch1 » Mon Jun 25, 2018 1:34 am

Oh man, decisions, decisions. I was right there where you are not too long ago. For the vent, I'm putting mine close to where Cracker Larry put his on the FS18 he built. Port side in the B compartment.

I'd spend some time going through others completed builds so you could arrange things that fit how you plan to use the boat.

johna
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by johna » Fri Jul 06, 2018 5:41 pm

Thanks Dutch. I think I am going to complete isolation of forward compartment and vent outside hull as far aft in that compartment as possible. For the fuel filter/water separator- I am thinking I should create a small well forward of transom and keep the below deck aft compartment fume free so I can have peace of mind for that area as well. Batteries will both be in the second compartment forward or one battery there (trolling motor battery) and the other (electronics, lights, etc.) aft. That boat that blew up in the Bahamas the other day makes this decision really relevant! Fire on boats- No Thanks!