CX25

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
rkhosid
New Poster
New Poster

CX25

Post by rkhosid » Wed Jun 15, 2011 2:09 am

I have been a keen follower of this forum for some time now and trying to get the nerve up to start a project in building a CX 25. One question that I really need the answer to is it possible to lower the MAX BEAM to 2.5 meters as this is the legal towing limit in Australia. Your input would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Roland

tech_support
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: CX25

Post by tech_support » Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:18 am

What is the permitting needed to tow over 2.5 meters?

I would gladly go through the trouble of a permit vs. building a less than ideal boat. Changing the beam on a balanced design is not a good idea if it can be easily (a permit, if available, is easy) avoided.

You could scale the design down by 10% and end up with a CX22.5, of course then you will need to raise the sole a bit and there is a lot of scaling work to be done.

Prarie Dog
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Prarie Dog » Wed Jun 15, 2011 3:01 pm

It looks like your talking about taking 3.6" out of a 8.5' boat. Shouldn't be that big a deal to take a little less than 2" per side out of the flare on the front of that hull.

wej
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by wej » Wed Jun 15, 2011 8:37 pm

Build it then take a power hand planer to it!!! Oh sorry, my smart ass gene has been very dominant today :lol: :lol: :roll: :roll:

mad_mat222
New Poster
New Poster

Post by mad_mat222 » Fri Mar 10, 2017 3:39 am

Were the plans ever redisgned for beam of 2.5? Are the available on request? Did it negatively effect the handling and aesthetics of the hull?

Cheers
Mat

pee wee
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by pee wee » Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:37 am

Prarie Dog wrote:
Wed Jun 15, 2011 3:01 pm
It looks like your talking about taking 3.6" out of a 8.5' boat. Shouldn't be that big a deal to take a little less than 2" per side out of the flare on the front of that hull.
I think the easier way is to take 3.6" out of the center of the boat, leave the flare alone.
Hank

mad_mat222
New Poster
New Poster

Post by mad_mat222 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:42 am

Forgive my ignorance because I only speak Australian :lol: but 3.6" is inches?? How do you actually go about it? As you said keep the bow flare because that is why you are building this sexy money magnet. Is it a simple matter of narrowing the beam, maintain the flare and loose the distance by removing it out of the middle and maintain the draught. This would result in a sharper keel would it not? If you changed the draught you change the CG of the boat? Just my inexperienced thoughts.

Cheers
Mat

pee wee
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by pee wee » Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:57 am

You should post this kind of question under "plans and building" rather than where it is, Jacques often doesn't read the posts here. What I was saying you could do was remove a slice of boat from the center, as if you took the drawings and folded them to remove the middle bit- that would not make a sharper keel.
Yes, you are correct that when you change the scale of a boat you will change things like draft and center of flotation, and the boat probably won't perform as well as originally designed.
Hank

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm » Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:28 am

I am here but please post in the other section next time.
The CX25 is 8,59 m wide, 9 cm too much but that includes the rubrail.
There are several possible solutions:
. build her without the rubrail or
. trim at the point of max. flare. Look at the plan view, that extra 4.5 cm is at the flare and you could cut it straight there without affecting the looks or performance of the boat.
. cut a 2 cm slice form the middle of all frames and form the bottom panel. This may sound complicated but it is not bad at all
and then my preferred solution:
I will send you a copy of the first page of the plans with a nominal beam in metric equal 2,50 m. You make copies and keep them if they ever want to check but they will almost certainly never check.
It is a nominal dimension like saying that a boat is a 25' model when she is really 24-9 or 25-2.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://bateau.com