XF 20

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
tails
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

XF 20

Post by tails » Wed Nov 23, 2011 12:12 pm

I finally made the decision to go with the XF20 instead of the PH 18. Most of the water we fish down here in the Laguna Madre is very shallow and the XF 20 comes with a tunnel and I can get by with a 50 Hp motor I chose the XF 20. The epoxy kit and plans are on the way and Jacques e-mailed me the plans for the Carriage which I now know is a strong back. Build it today.

I hope to stick pretty much to the plans but have already heard that the tunnel might need venting. Since all modifications add to the building time, Do you think it would be worth the time if I use a jack plate and a 20" shaft 50 Hp motor?

Looking forward to the building process I Think ! I have pics to insert but don't know how, could someone tell me how?

[img]C:\Documents%20and%20Settings\Jim\My%20Documents\My%20Pictures\XF%2020[/img]
Last edited by tails on Wed Nov 23, 2011 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

peter-curacao
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: XF 20

Post by peter-curacao » Wed Nov 23, 2011 12:15 pm

Welcome and good luck hope to see a lot of pics viewtopic.php?f=7&t=8718

Mad Dog
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Mad Dog » Wed Nov 23, 2011 12:43 pm

tails wrote:I hope to stick pretty much to the plans but have already heard that the tunnel might need venting. Since all modifications add to the building time, Do you think it would be worth the time if I use a jack plate and a 20" shaft 50 Hp motor?
I'm not exactly clear what your question is but the study plans indicate a recommendation of a 20" engine shaft. http://www.bateau.com/studyplans/XF20.PDF

If I were building the XF20 I would add a jackplate. First, it sets the engine just a bit further back from the transom and into a little less disturbed water. Second, it gives you the option to lower the prop into "hard" water when you are running in channels and such, increasing economy a bit and jacking the engine at idle to keep from leaving prop scars when you have the most draft. Third, I like the thought of jacking the engine up on the trailer instead of tilting it.

MD :wink:

majorgator
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by majorgator » Wed Nov 23, 2011 12:44 pm

Welcome to the forum. There's plenty of information on here from previous XF20 builds. The link to my build is referenced at the bottom here. FWIW, I'd vent the tunnel, use the the jack plate, and go with the 20" shaft.

seth
Saved by the Blood of Jesus!
See my XF20 Build Thread

peter-curacao

Post by peter-curacao » Wed Nov 23, 2011 1:38 pm

peter-curacao wrote:Welcome and good luck hope to see a lot of pics viewtopic.php?f=7&t=8718
Made you a small movie, only thing for you left to do is create an album
click for movie clip -> http://youtu.be/scBeYCe88V0 <-click for movie clip

Doc_Dyer
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Doc_Dyer » Wed Nov 23, 2011 2:16 pm

outstanding video Peter,

the only thing better would be your voice narrating it :roll:
:wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:
. sanded on a canoe, bought a used boat, stayed at a holiday inn last night

Cracker Larry

Post by Cracker Larry » Wed Nov 23, 2011 2:33 pm

Peter, that is great and will be very helpful 8) It does need some narration to be perfect :D

After looking at that, I came across some of your other videos. Big Bamboo has me rolling on the floor :lol: :lol:
Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

peter-curacao

Post by peter-curacao » Wed Nov 23, 2011 3:01 pm

LOL my voice had to many rum showers for narration :lol: but be my guest narrate the heck out of it 8)
Larry totally forgot I made that one, thanks for pointing out http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T8mVL8UI ... re=related
Funny song same as this one http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5rIKIvZVj7M

TRC886
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TRC886 » Wed Nov 23, 2011 6:07 pm

peter-curacao wrote:[Made you a small movie, only thing for you left to do is create an album
click for movie clip -> http://youtu.be/scBeYCe88V0 <-click for movie clip
That's an excellent video :!: I think you should post that link in its' own thread, where it will be easy to find.

:idea: Maybe Joel or Jacques will post it in the "read this first, how to post a photo" section.

trc

peter-curacao

Post by peter-curacao » Wed Nov 23, 2011 7:15 pm

TRC886 wrote: That's an excellent video :!: I think you should post that link in its' own thread, where it will be easy to find.

:idea: Maybe Joel or Jacques will post it in the "read this first, how to post a photo" section.

trc
Well thanks! but since that forum is locked I can't post there.