XF 20

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Tex 2009
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: XF 20

Post by Tex 2009 » Tue Feb 07, 2012 7:46 pm

Looks good Jim. Me and my boss want to schedule a trip to padre when you finish. We are anxious to see how she operates in the lower laguna.

Doug Grall
Huntsville, Texas

majorgator
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by majorgator » Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:23 pm

This is by far the fastest I've ever seen a boat come together. Makes me feel inadequate that it took over 2 years to build the same thing :wink:

I like the step in front of the bow deck. How about making that an insulated fish box?

seth
Saved by the Blood of Jesus!
See my XF20 Build Thread

wegcagle
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by wegcagle » Thu Feb 09, 2012 8:45 am

Dang you guys are not only fast, but REALLY clean too. I'm more of the slow and messy type myself :lol: :oops:

Will

Edit: I do have one question for you. On your front deck framing picture, it looks like you have 2 vertical 2x4s from the deck to the hull. Are these permanent? or did you put them in just while the frame was setting up?

I ask because Jacques has mentioned in the past that he doesn't like vertical braces, because they concentrate too much force on one small spot of the hull, and can set up that area for damage/failure.

It may be worth posting that picture under the Powerboats section with a question for Jacques there. He watches that area more than this one.

GV15, D4 done! Dreaming about the next one

tails
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by tails » Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:15 am

Tex,after the TURTLE has splashed, you and your boss can come on down, the LATCH STRING is always out .

tails
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by tails » Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:19 am

Will, the vertical supports are 2x4 and they are permanant. Each are resting on a 12x12" piece of 1/2" scrap plywood that has been glued and glassed to the hull.

Seth, I'm pretty much a fly fisherman and dont use bait ( some say you will go to hell if you do ) and the few fish I keep I put in the Ice box thats going behind the console because it so hot done here in South Texas. I want the Turtle to look really nice ( probanly not near as nice as yours ) but its going fishing not to a boat show. I have had a lot of boat people look at the XF 20 and check it out on the web site, and if it performs as advertized they might build one. They are tired of the really heavy fiber glass boat and 150 plus HP motors which are costing well over $30,000 that still can't get up in 18" of water without tearing up our vital sea grass and making scars all over the Laguna Madre.

Uncle D
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Uncle D » Thu Feb 09, 2012 11:07 am

wegcagle wrote:Dang you guys are not only fast, but REALLY clean too. I'm more of the slow and messy type myself :lol: :oops:

Will

Edit: I do have one question for you. On your front deck framing picture, it looks like you have 2 vertical 2x4s from the deck to the hull. Are these permanent? or did you put them in just while the frame was setting up?

I ask because Jacques has mentioned in the past that he doesn't like vertical braces, because they concentrate too much force on one small spot of the hull, and can set up that area for damage/failure.

It may be worth posting that picture under the Powerboats section with a question for Jacques there. He watches that area more than this one.

Jim, I agree with Will. It looks as if you have tons of support without the vertical's. Ask Jacques for sure.

tails
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by tails » Fri Feb 17, 2012 4:25 pm

Need a break in the weather, I know its a sin to want it to quit raining in Texas but its sure holding up progress on the turtle. Got the last coat of epoxy on last night but need sunshine before it gets its final sanding. Hopefully it will get its first coat of White Interlux TOP DECK and a first coat of Interlux light blue BRIGHTSIDE with Teflon on the out sides Monday Second coats Tuesday weather permitting, It will then need to cure for about a week before the console, guages, controls etc. can go on then to Bayside Marina for them to install jack plate and motor so it looks like i'm going to miss my first week of march deadline.

Did get the trailer in that I had built for the XF 20

gstanfield
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by gstanfield » Fri Feb 17, 2012 4:38 pm

Rain or not you're making good progress :D

peter-curacao
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by peter-curacao » Fri Feb 17, 2012 4:42 pm

gstanfield wrote:Rain or not you're making good progress :D
Indeed he does I think he's gonna beat the estimated hours in the study plans 8)
very nice trailer btw

Tex 2009
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Tex 2009 » Fri Feb 17, 2012 6:03 pm

Jim, where did you have the trailer built?
Doug Grall
Huntsville, Texas