BarraMan's Mangusta 21 barraboat in Townsville, AUS

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: BarraMan's Mangusta 21 barraboat in Townsville, AUS

Post by glossieblack » Tue Jun 13, 2017 5:51 am

Good evening Lee,

You must be getting close to installing SeaDek on the Big Barra Boat?

Sounds as though you've been enjoying fishing. :D

Michael.

Completed R13 two part nesting rowboat. ST 21 under construction .... where seeking perfection is recognized as the enemy of the good.

BarraMan
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by BarraMan » Tue Jun 13, 2017 8:57 am

Well! I was kinda surprised to see my build thread pop up again, Michael.

"Enjoying the fishing"? Yes maybe. Lucky they call it fishing not catching cos I haven't been doing a lot of the latter. In some ways I think it was a mistake to put the boat on the water before it was completely finished - but I just had to see if it was gonna work right for me, and we have had a lot of fun with it. The best bit is that it has exceeded my expectations in every way - performance, handling, as a lure casting platform - even as a skinny water boat. I just love the thing and so does anyone who sees it and particularly those who get to go fishing in it.

I have been busy with some other stuff this year and unfortunately have not made the sort of progress towards completion that I had hoped. That is about to change! I have an engagement party for my second son and fishing buddy coming up later this month, followed by a work trip to Tom Price and Fitzroy Crossing in Western Australia. As soon as I get back in early July its full on boat building. The motor is coming off so that I can fix an issue with the motorwell (just cosmetic - nothing serious), finish painting the boat to my satisfaction, complete the plumbing of the livewells and install the rub rail. As you know I now have someone local to do some s/s rails for me. Got a bit of tidying up of wiring that I would like to do as well, and yes, the seadek to go down.

We are going to fish the McArthur River out of King Ash Bay near Boroloola in the NT in late September so I need to get it sorted for that.

Cheers

Lee

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack » Wed Jun 14, 2017 5:57 am

Thanks for the update Lee. You're certainly leading life to the full. :D
Completed R13 two part nesting rowboat. ST 21 under construction .... where seeking perfection is recognized as the enemy of the good.

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 » Fri Jun 16, 2017 9:44 pm

Lee not problem with fishing with fishing with and unfinished boat. You may have even have discovered some things that you want to change. :)

Enjoy her while you can and finish her when you can.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses.

BarraMan

Post by BarraMan » Sat Jun 17, 2017 12:23 am

TomW1 wrote:
Fri Jun 16, 2017 9:44 pm
Lee not problem with fishing with fishing with and unfinished boat. You may have even have discovered some things that you want to change. :)
Enjoy her while you can and finish her when you can.
Tom
You're right there Tom. There are a few things that I will attend to in finishing the boat - and driving it and fishing from it has been a hoot!

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Fuzz » Sat Jun 17, 2017 1:00 am

After running and using the boat for a while is there anything major you would do different?

BarraMan

Post by BarraMan » Sat Jun 17, 2017 3:39 am

Fuzz wrote:
Sat Jun 17, 2017 1:00 am
After running and using the boat for a while is there anything major you would do different?
I've given this some thought since you asked the question, Given that I took Jacques basic 19' runabout design, upscaleed 10%, put fore and aft casting decks on it, built it with a side console and put an electric trolling motor up front - I am a bit surprised that it worked out the way it has. No, I can't think of anything significant that I would change.

Had I known that the motor/prop combination would happily run as high as it does, I would have done the transom a little different - but that's minor.

I am surprised that the boat goes as well as it does. Not sure why am surprised, but I am. As I have said before, the boat has exceeded my every expectation.

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen » Sat Jun 17, 2017 6:20 am

BarraMan wrote:
Sat Jun 17, 2017 3:39 am
I am surprised that the boat goes as well as it does. Not sure why am surprised, but I am. As I have said before, the boat has exceeded my every expectation.
I see (and said) this in post splash reviews. I wonder why? I know I screwed a lot up and figured it would impact performance. I wonder if there's a conditioned thought that the pros are able to do something the basic home builder can't?

That or JM is a wizard in designing hulls so efficient that they aren't impacted by the inconsistency of home builders...

BarraMan

Post by BarraMan » Sat Jun 17, 2017 7:25 am

Interesting isn't it!

JM's plan's are fairly basic compared to some other designers but deliver a well designed hull (or we assume so). Then some of us at least do stuff to it that we think will suit or application.

In my case, after looking at lots of other similar hulls and reading a bit, I put reverse chines on my hull. They are not on Jacques plans. I suspect JM would say that the hull doesn't need them, and he is probably right.

If you look back to some early questions in my build you will see that I was concerned about strakes - what shape, how many etc. The plans give very little detail just a couple of lines indicating where you might put strakes. JM told me that the hull didn't need them anyway. Because I wanted to have the stringers sit over the bunks on the trailer, I only put one strake either side on my hull. They are fairly "aggressive" - triangle in cross-section.

So how did it all work? Well, I can put the hull on the plane in about a boat length with a burst of power, or if I let it come up slowly it will do so around 15 kts. It corners like its on rails - if I pull it into a tight turn at speed (>30 kts) and feed the power in I can just get it to start to slide, with no obvious vices.

I went to a lot of trouble to make sure the hull was true and square etc to within a couple of mm of tolerance and I put a lot of work into ensuring that the bottom was true and flat, with no hook or rocker.

But of course you have no idea what is going to do until you put it in the water.

I have had it up to 48 kts and it is rock steady at that speed, but its sweet spot for cruising is around 27 kts.

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 » Sat Jun 17, 2017 6:09 pm

Dang Lee I converted Kts to MPH and you have some mighty impressive speeds there. 48kts is 55mph and 27kts is 31mph. Very nice. Look forward to seeing the finished boat.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses.