Mikem59 FS18 Build

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
MrPaul
Active Poster
Active Poster

Re: Mikem59 FS18 Build

Post by MrPaul » Wed Sep 14, 2016 12:22 am

Your boat is looking great!

That 12 gallon fuel tank is going to take you a long way in that boat. I have a 15 ft john boat with a 25 hp 4 stroke Yamaha with a 6 gallon tank. I frequently have to dump old gas into my truck's gas tank before it goes bad. I've made some long runs with that tank and never used it all.

Keep up the good work. Looking forward to seeing this one splash.

Mikem59
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Mikem59 » Wed Sep 14, 2016 2:16 pm

:lol: You're right about that 12 gallon tank. After I purchased it, realized it was probably overkill. By the time I finish this boat, I hope to have a lot of time to get out and do some fishing and burn some fuel.

RCC-SKIFFS
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by RCC-SKIFFS » Wed Sep 14, 2016 3:48 pm

Looking great so far. And unless you plan on running cross country trips a 6 or 9 gallon is efficient imo.
Mikem59 wrote:I also have to buy a few more hatches, one for the bow to access the fuel tank compartment, a door/hatch for the console, and deck access plate to access the compartment.
I believe Bateau is fixing to offer some really nice hatches in the next few weeks. Keep an eye out for them. Jeff might have more info on them if he is watching this thread Maby he can chime in.

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff » Wed Sep 14, 2016 4:12 pm

Mikem59, Yes, RCC-Skiffs is correct. We have been able to source some new, really well built hatches. We will initially have three different sizes/types. It will be a few weeks though as the local Florida builder needs time to get started. We have already agreed and I know he is working on them!! Jeff

topwater
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by topwater » Thu Sep 15, 2016 9:29 am

Thats great because good hatches are hard to find.
Novi 23 finally launched !

Mikem59
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Mikem59 » Sun Sep 18, 2016 9:17 pm

Jeff,

I was considering a TH Marine hatch for the fuel tank compartment access, and possibly their hatch door for my console. I'm just going to put in a screw in deck access plate for the bow compartment. But, sounds like I ought to wait a little while longer. I'm getting close to needing the hatches so I can finalize the cleats, but I still have to tape in the rod holders and complete the fairing. At my pace I can wait to see what you'll have to offer. :lol:

Thanks for the heads up! :D

Mike

Mikem59
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Mikem59 » Wed Oct 05, 2016 10:04 pm

Have begun fairing the interior. One round completed in the transom area,aft storage compartment, and the compartments in the bow. In the main deck area, I've applied a fairing slurry along the interior tape along the chine areas. Like I've read on many posts on other builds, fairing sucks, and I suck at it :lol: I think I just have to accept, especially along the seams that it'll be two applications minimum, one to, fill the weave, and the second to fill the gap along the edge of the tape and the main deck.

At least it's started, and like the exterior of the hull, I'm sure it'll be fine after some cussing, sweat, and a beer or two.

Now, I have a question :?: :help:

I had cut out the pieces I need for the console I plan to install. I'm not exactly sure how to assemble. What I've done to this point is basically cut out some 1x1 cleats to "frame" it and provide a gluing surface. Here's a pic/mock up of what I mean. Is this the best way to do this?

The panel with the cleats clamped is the port side panel with the rear panel that would then be glued to the cleats. I would have to do some shaping on the exterior corners to get the 1/2" radius to glass. Anyway, looking for some suggestions on the best path forward.

Thanks,
Mike

willg
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by willg » Wed Oct 05, 2016 10:55 pm

I made my console using similar steps as the hull assembly. I drilled holes for zip ties then tightened the ties up with nails in the joints to create uniform gaps. Once everything was nice and square I tacked it together with putty welds, then pulled the ties and put fillets and biax tape on all inside joints. Outside joints were rounded over for biax tape. Then the whole outside was covered with biax cloth. That might be overkill but it is very sturdy.

Mikem59
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Mikem59 » Wed Oct 05, 2016 11:20 pm

Thanks for the quick reply. That certainly makes sense and would be a heckuva lot easier than the path I was about to take. Sometimes I make things too complicated :oops: .I've got enough speed squares to aid in getting it squared up.

I'll give this a go when I get tired of fairing which probably won't take too long :)

BarraMan

Post by BarraMan » Thu Oct 06, 2016 12:45 am

Yep - me too. Stitch and glue, fillet and tape inside and out - all external surfaces covered with 6 oz biax cloth. :D