Mikem59 FS18 Build

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
seaslug
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: Mikem59 FS18 Build

Post by seaslug » Thu Oct 06, 2016 3:58 am

To make squaring it up while stitching it together just cut 2 pieces of ply to the inside dimension, 1 for the top and 1 piece at the bottom and stitch it up tight to the ply, using nails or whatever for spacers. Tack it all together, pull the ply and stiches, and you should be perfectly square. Once you fill everywhere, block sand off the square outside corners and use a 1/2" or larger radius round over bit in a router to get perfect outside radius corners. Make sure to use 2" masking tape on the inside of the box pressed tightly into the corners to prevent excess epoxy creating a mess on the inside. Than make a nice fillet on the inside corners and you're ready to glass. I like to lay the cloth while the fillets are still soft, using a small metal roller to press the cloth into the inside corners, and it squeezes right into the soft fillet and makes a great bubble free bond. Personally, I would only use cloth on the outside, than epoxy coat the inside really good and paint. Good luck. Mike

Mikem59
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Mikem59 » Thu Oct 06, 2016 8:10 am

Thanks again for all the input. Stitch and glue it is :!:

tcason
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by tcason » Mon Nov 14, 2016 12:40 pm

:D

Mikem59
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Mikem59 » Tue Nov 15, 2016 9:45 pm

Have been managing some more boat work in the evenings. Since last update have finished fairing the interior, meaning I finally gave up and moved on :lol: The fairing actually went pretty well in the main cockpit area which is what will obviously be the most visible area.

I've also completed applying 2 coats of primer to the main cockpit and just 1 coat in the bow and transom sections. I plan on one more coat in the bow and transom sections. After applying the primer, it really helps to display some of the flaws that need additional fairing work. To move forward on that, will need more quick fair. Sure like that over trying to mix up a fairing slurry with epoxy, balloons, and filler. I'll add that I probably won't get too crazy with additional fairing as I plan to apply the kiwi grip to the interior decking.

I'm also getting ready to install the last of the cleats for the gunwales, bow and transom decking. Just waiting on the hatches to finish out how I'll do the cleats for the bow deck. I also will need a hatch door for my console.

And, I've begun stitching together my little center console to get it glued together as well. Thanks guys for the input, stitching along with the pvc and some nails for spacers is going to work out great.

Only have a pic of the primer effort right now. By the way, frame A from the CNC kit had a notch in the bottom, you can make it out in the photo. I'm guessing that should be filled :?: How should the bow compartment be drained :?:

Pressing forward! This boat will float soon, don't believe it will be before the end of the year, but it will be early next year!

Dutch1
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Dutch1 » Sat Nov 19, 2016 9:51 pm

Looking good. I've got a ways to go before I get where you are in your build. Please keep posting the finish. Previous builders posts didn't provide much detail towards the end of the builds.

Mikem59
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Mikem59 » Mon Nov 21, 2016 7:23 pm

Thanks Dutch. I'll try my best to post pics as I continue to approach the "finish line". I had some problems awhile back posting pics, but the latest post went fine. Going to enjoy the Thanksgiving Holiday before I get back to the build. All I've managed to complete since last post was to cut to length the inboard cleats for the gunwales. And, gave them a coat of neat epoxy.

And, I filled in the "hole" in frame "A" as I know darn well that isn't supposed to be there.

Lastly, needing to make a decision on the hatches to really nail down some final fit issues.

Happy Thanksgiving All!

Mikem59
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Mikem59 » Thu Dec 29, 2016 11:31 pm

A lack of posting thankfully hasn't meant I've not been making progress. Although slow, I feel I have come a long way lately. I've installed the cleats for the gunwales and the transom decking, drilled holes for the rod tubes, and applied 2 coats of topside paint.

Gluing in these cleats required more clamps than I had, so piecemealed my way through. Also, since I've already faired and primed the interior, put in some plastic as a drip cloth. Definitely needed those in place.

This first pic shows Frame E with the notch for the gunwale cleat, then a small section before the wide cutout and cleats for the storage locker hatch.

Frame B notches, one set of notches for the gunwale cleats, the other set for cleats between Frame A and B for bow deck support. The notches in Frame A are somewhat obscured by my light stand.

Glued in the inner gunwale cleat. If anyone was wondering, I purchase 1"X4"x10' boards and ripped them to make the 1"X1" s for my cleats. As such, I was able to have the inner clear run the full length between frame B and frame E. And, had to borrow some bigger clamps to span between the hull exterior to the inside of the gunwale cleat. Thanks to my friend Gerald who is an avid car and truck restorer.

Cleats for the transom decking.

And, the last 3 pics are of the first coat of topside paint. I went with the Pettit Easypoxy, Platinum color. It's "medium gray". I rolled it on with a 3/16" nap roller and then tipped with a brush. I was very pleased with the outcome of the 1st coat. No doubt, the roller does leave a stipple that the tipping with the brush took out. And, the paint is self leveling, so the brush marks all but disappeared. After the 1st coat, there was a slight "orange peel" look, but not bad at all, and very glossy. Again, I'm quite pleased 8) , just hope subsequent coats will only improve the appearance. They recommend a minimum of 2 coats, I plan on at least 3. I bought a gallon of this paint, and it appears that it will be more than enough to do 3 coats as well as do 2 coats in my below deck storage lockers and the open area beneath the transom decking.

Looking promising to get this build finished soon. After I get the 3rd coat on the hull, I'll finish up some touch up work in the cockpit area and then apply some non-skid paint. I went with the Kiwi Grip in white, but will get it tinted to be a very light gray or off-white. I'll apply that before I install the gunwales and the transom and bow decking as it will be easier than with the gunwales already installed. I'll also install the Lenco trim tabs, the Atlas Micro Jacker, and mount the engine to prep for doing the electrical. Have a friend that rigs boats to assist on the electrical. Rather someone with experience do that to make this a clean and sensible install. Still have the bow eye, transom eyes, the fuel tank to install as well as my small console. Still a long list of things to do, other than the electrical, I don't see anything to prevent me from completing soon.

But, my last need is a boat trailer. Priced an aluminum trailer through McLain, $1850, ouch :x . But, there is a local boat trailer builder in Beaumont that should be able to beat that price, I've been a good customer of his in the past, so hope that will count for a nice discount :P And, I may go to the Houston Boat Show as Coastline and others are typically there, maybe I can get a better deal.

More to come!

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff » Fri Dec 30, 2016 6:31 am

MikeM59, nice progress!!! Jeff

Dutch1
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Dutch1 » Fri Dec 30, 2016 9:47 am

Thanks for the update and the pics! Do you plan on any kind of standing platform?

Mikem59
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Mikem59 » Fri Dec 30, 2016 5:26 pm

Thanks Jeff!

And, Dutch, yes I do plan to install a poling platform as well but will splash'er first and see how she does, how she responds to standing on the back of the boat, and then decide just how I want to install the platform. As for up on the bow, probably just stand on a cooler.