Mikem59 FS18 Build

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
K2FS18
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: Mikem59 FS18 Build

Post by K2FS18 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:53 am

Mike, looks like you put in high gear!

I don't believe you need glass on the decks. But if you decide to install, any of the above should work. I used 4oz on mine and wrapped up and over the rub rail and trimmed flush with the bottom eased edge of the rub rail.

Mikem59
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Mikem59 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:03 pm

K2, thanks for the suggestions. And, I'm in high gear when I get to work on the boat. Spring break took me away for several days, then some travel for work. But, I am making progress.

Here are some pics of the gunwale issues I mentioned.

This is the port side gunwale. As you can see, as it approaches to the aft, a gap widens between the gunwale and the hull.

Similarly, on the fore side, a gap forms and widens. I've already added an additional support cleat along the inner support cleat, and I'll do the same along the hull cleat to make sure there is plenty of gluing surface and support for the gunwale.

And, here the bow decking leaves sizable gap between the gunwale as well as not quite wide enough to extend to the edge of the cleat. I'm not thrilled about another trip to Houston Hardwoods and another $90 for another sheet of Okume. So, I feel pretty comfortable using what I have left to scab in and fill the gaps.

Here's the fuel tank compartment with all the cleats along with the nav lights wiring

And, a shot of the storage compartment beneath the transom decking. Right now it's a snake pit. Have the negative and positive buss bars in, a battery switch along with the jack plate and trim tab wiring. A lot to sort out, but it's coming along.

Although I am making progress, I had to do some TLC for my Blue Wave as it's feeling pretty ignored. Oil/filter change along with some chine repair work with some Marinetex. Doing all the work on the build has given me the confidence to do minor repair work on my Blue Wave.

Mikem59
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Mikem59 » Mon Apr 03, 2017 11:15 pm

Have pretty much finished up running and cleaning up the wiring "pit". I've also glued in some additional cleats as needed to support my gunwales. And, I've masked off and put down some plastic to prevent glue from leaking/spilling onto my painted cockpit and below deck areas. But, I still need to also finish up the rod tubes.

A few pics:

The wiring is pretty well cleaned up, will need to tidy up just a little more, still have some wiring work to finish up, I have some under gunwale wiring to pulled for installing some LED's under the gunwales.

Another view of the wiring.

And, hey, the navigation lights work, as did the jack plate, bilge pump, and trim tabs. The nav lights are under the plastic skirting, so, not the best of views.

K2FS18
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by K2FS18 » Thu Apr 06, 2017 9:09 pm

Looking good. I see you got the good wire as well. Its crazy how a simple wire job can become complexed pretty quickly.

Mikem59
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Mikem59 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:14 pm

K2 - Yep, I always looked under the console of my bay boat and past boats and always wondered what the heck all that wire was for. Surely a little ole FS18 wouldn't require nearly that much wiring. I certainly figured the wiring for this little boat build would be quite simple. I wracked my brain :doh: quite a bit over the wiring. But, it wasn't too bad even though it is still quite a bit of wire.

Mikem59
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Mikem59 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:55 pm

Made some more progress, I glued down the bow decking tonight. A big step and, well commitment as well. Looking at this as the first really big step to getting this boat finally finished.

Pics of the latest progress:

Saw somewhere about how to flange the PVC for the rod tubes. Used an 1 1/4" shower flange.

Then used a heat gun to heat the end enough to then apply pressure to begin to flatten out the end. I learned you have to apply the pressure evenly and slowly. If you don't the PVC will split at the edge.

This is a pic of the rod tubes after install. I'm not 100% satisfied with them. And, this pic is an improvement over the initial pics. I had to heat the ends again and use a piece of wood as a flat surface to get the tubes to be more flush with the face of the bulkhead. Still not perfect, but will silicone in to seal up real good. OOOPs, this picture isn't rotated 90 deg. clockwise.

Starboard side rod tubes

Plastic laid down and masked in to make sure I don't get glue all over the place.

And, now, the deck is glued down

By the way, here's the surface mount LED's from Oznium that I will install under the gunwales. Came highly recommended from a friend of mine that rigs boats for a local dealer. I bought 8 of them for a total of $32.12 including the shipping. I'll be installing one on the underside of each section of the gunwales, and one in the transom deck storage compartment. The other, possibly in the storage in the bow compartment, not sure just yet.

Lastly, put a coat of paint on the underside of the gunwales so I won't have to paint after installed.

I also made a trip to TPWD in Beaumont, needed to file for a lost title for the motor i bought 3 years ago. Couldn't find the title, or maybe the dealer never mailed, I don't remember. I'll be making a trip to TPWD in Beaumont soon for the inspection!

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff » Wed Apr 12, 2017 6:25 am

Really nice progress!!! Jeff

Mikem59
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Mikem59 » Wed Apr 12, 2017 2:55 pm

Jeff, Thanks. Gotta call from McClain Trailers in Houston, to their credit they got my trailer built in 3 weeks. My progress plan was counting on them taking 5 weeks. Just more motivation to finish. I just have to find a higher gear to git'er done.

Dutch1
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Dutch1 » Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:26 pm

Looks great Mike! What kind of hatches are you going to use?

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff » Wed Apr 12, 2017 9:37 pm

Mikem59, nice turn around time on your trailer!! Jeff