A Cracker Built GF18- Finished 6/28/15

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.

peter-curacao
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: A Cracker Built GF18

Post by peter-curacao » Tue Apr 29, 2014 7:16 am

peter-curacao wrote:
Cracker Larry wrote:
I was thinking yesterday that the multi-function gauges could be closer together,
I thought that too, right after I drilled the holes
Sorry I have to say I also think he's right, can't you fill them with the plugs and put them closer together? line them op with the "fm/am radio"? underneath? It also gives you a very nice space to put more accessory's like the 12 volt lighter sockets, between gps/ff unit and radio + gauges

robbiro
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by robbiro » Tue Apr 29, 2014 8:30 am

We spent the better part of an hour in the storm shelter. Had a hit in Brandon 8 miles West and then crossed I-20 at exit 68 where I get off to go home (4 miles South). Some damage along the roadway and to a gas station here. Car dealership, HD and others along with a trailer park in Brandon. No fatalities as last I had heard.

Robbie
32.20.0983N
89.48.0787W
GF-16 FIRST LIGHT finished; D-5 Crusader '08 finished, PY 12 plans in hand

Noles309
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Noles309 » Tue Apr 29, 2014 8:48 am

Wow, that think looks like an airplane cockpit! Impressive 8)
Gary
GF-16 Completed

Cracker Larry

Post by Cracker Larry » Tue Apr 29, 2014 9:28 am

Sorry I have to say I also think he's right, can't you fill them with the plugs and put them closer together?
Peter, hush :help: I could, but I'm not. They don't bother me that much and I can't spend the rest of my life building this boat. If that's the worse miscalculation I make, life will be good :D
We spent the better part of an hour in the storm shelter. Had a hit in Brandon 8 miles West and then crossed I-20 at exit 68 where I get off to go home (4 miles South).
Dang Robbie, glad you're OK :!: They are supposed to get here this evening, I better batten down the hatches.

Today I'm going to work out the power outlets, cut out for the side access hatches and get a prime coat of epoxy on it to seal it up, before Robbie's storms get here. We've had 8 dry, warm days and this wood is dry as a popcorn poot, don't want any moisture on it now.

Our rod holder brackets will be in tomorrow from the CNC shop, then back to work on the frames. Still moving forward :D
Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

Cracker Larry

Post by Cracker Larry » Tue Apr 29, 2014 6:21 pm

Does the space directly above the pod make sense as a place for two of the 12Vs? The thing charging could sit in the crook between the pod and the console.
I thought that might work, but it won't. Too tight, looks like crap there.

After...wait, changing the batteries in my new wireless keyboard... so after exploring all the possibilities, they work best right here, and that's where they are. Perfect :D

Moving on to the side access hatches. We have plenty of room to mount everything inside, still using both hatches.

These hatches have a 2 1/4" corner radius. I use the hole saw to mark it and drill it.

Then the jig saw to connect the holes.

Drill the mounting holes over size, sand the edges and call them done.

Hand sanded the fuzz from all the cut lines, cleaned everything up real good and rolled a coat of epoxy on all the raw wood before the rain gets here.

A few more bites out the elephant. I won't mind a rain day just to rest, got 9 straight days of work done.
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

topwater

Post by topwater » Wed Apr 30, 2014 8:03 am

Looking good Larry . After drilling and cutting all those holes and hatches i'll bet its 10LBs lighter now :wink:
Novi 23 finally launched !

jorgepease
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by jorgepease » Wed Apr 30, 2014 8:08 am

That is a very nice console!

Cracker Larry

Post by Cracker Larry » Wed Apr 30, 2014 12:16 pm

Thanks John and Jorge. I'm very pleased with it.

Been some terrible weather across the south, lot of people dead, lots of homes destroyed, lots of flooding, 22 inches of rain in the FL panhandle 8O Hope all our friends are OK. I know GK108s area got hit hard. You OK Gary? No boat building today, it's raining sideways. Glad I got that epoxy on yesterday.

pee wee
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by pee wee » Wed Apr 30, 2014 5:07 pm

Cracker, your console design is more thought out and logical than theirs, but about as gadget packed: :lol:

Hank