A Cracker Built GF18- Finished 6/28/15

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Cracker Larry
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: A Cracker Built GF18

Post by Cracker Larry » Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:36 pm

I was dripping wet by the time I pulled away from the landing. Was 97d/106 humiture at that time. Too danged hot to do anything but drink beer and stay in the A/C. :lol:
I hear you there. Almost too hot to even drink beer :help: It was so hot this afternoon that I watched old Gunsmoke, Bonanza and Big Valley western re-runs on TV, and I seldom turn on the TV. Dog was inside from 1000 until 1800. he didn't want any part of it. Didn't even want to swim.

After the sun went down past the trees, I went back out and trimmed the glass edges and cut out the glass from all the holes. It's perfect right now for trimming with a pocket knife, still too green to sand. Going to have to get up early tomorrow to do that. Going to try to get the rub rail glassed too, before I have to run inside again. My Droid keeps telling me there is a severe heat advisory and the elderly and pets should remain indoors. I think that's us :lol:
Last edited by Cracker Larry on Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

Cracker Larry

Post by Cracker Larry » Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:15 pm

"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

Cracker Larry

Post by Cracker Larry » Fri Aug 22, 2014 3:06 pm

Sanded all of yesterday's glass work, it took about 6 hours, longer than I thought, everything does :?

Got too hot, had to quit and get in the pool.

robbiro
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by robbiro » Sat Aug 23, 2014 4:55 pm

Larry, You are the textbook!!! Phenomenal work and PONDERIN''.

Keep on Buildin'

Robbie

Oh, yea, I have thought about Dori aver the last several months, everything still going well!
32.20.0983N
89.48.0787W
GF-16 FIRST LIGHT finished; D-5 Crusader '08 finished, PY 12 plans in hand

Cracker Larry

Post by Cracker Larry » Sat Aug 23, 2014 5:51 pm

Thanks Robbie. Dori is still doing well we think, has a 6 mo. checkup next week. Time will tell. Thanks for asking.

I got another early start today and glassed the rub rails with 6 oz. woven cloth, overlapping the gunwales a couple inches all around. Wow, that cloth goes invisible when it's wet out, and it doesn't take much epoxy to wet it out. Very cool 8) Had to cut 40 feet of 8" wide strips of cloth from a full sized roll and piece them together.

Still 100 degrees at almost 1800 !

topwater

Post by topwater » Sun Aug 24, 2014 8:33 am

Larry i thought you were going to put a ipe rub rail on her .Did you change your mind :?:
Great work as always.
Novi 23 finally launched !

Cracker Larry

Post by Cracker Larry » Sun Aug 24, 2014 5:31 pm

Still planning on an ipe rail over the mahogany.

Got the motor well glued, filleted and glassed in today. That was the last piece of plywood to install, except for a couple of backing blocks. Still have to cover the sole with glass and then we can switch from building mode to finishing mode :D

Also cut out and drilled over sized mounting holes for a pedestal seat base on the front deck. Backed those up with duct tape, gave the big hole 3 coats of epoxy and filled the bolt holes with thickened epoxy. Still need to work out the trolling motor mount, and cleats and chocks on the bow deck. I think that will account for everything on the decks.

Pictures might follow if Droid and Photobucket start playing nice again.

The temp was cooler today, nice change, only 92 and windy. That's a lot better than 102 :!:

Cracker Larry

Post by Cracker Larry » Sun Aug 24, 2014 9:20 pm

I use a lot of masking paper and tape. Don't want to mess up what we have finished so far.

Pre-cut the glass for the motor well, then moved it aside.

Glued and filleted it in, then wet it out, all wet on wet. That picture sucked :?

Cut out and filled holes for seat pedestal..

I see light at the end of the tunnel :D

peter-curacao

Post by peter-curacao » Sun Aug 24, 2014 9:28 pm

This boat after many years one can cut in: 3 , 4 , 5 or 500 axes and double it in 3d! they won't find a flaw! great work as always captain! 8)

cottontop
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by cottontop » Mon Aug 25, 2014 1:41 pm

Work just keeps on looking fine 8) . If you can use some "quik fair" I have an unopened gallon you can have. Let me know where to mail it to you. No Charge. Won't ever use it more than likely. John