willg's PH18 - "Yepper" launched 6/11/17

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
BarraMan
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: willg's PH18

Post by BarraMan » Sun Oct 16, 2016 9:13 am

The way I figure it I won't be using either the jacking plate or the trim tabs unless the motor is running, so I am going to connect them to my start battery.

Thanks for the Weld mount tip!

willg
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by willg » Sun Oct 16, 2016 10:28 pm

Thanks, BarraMan. What you say is what I've seen online also. I will wire the jp to the starting battery. I have a Blue Sea battery post attachment with 4 fused circuits, and I think I'll use one of them for the trim tabs.

Will

flyfishingmonk
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by flyfishingmonk » Tue Oct 25, 2016 11:41 am

Will, what are your thoughts on one continuous hatch hidden under the cushon of the bench seat? I am planning on three in the back like yours. I was ondering if this would reduce the work. I am planning on one in the middle that is dry, and one on each side for used as a bait well and a live well.

Casey
Do not withhold good from those to whom it is due, when it is in your power to act. PR 3:27
Build Photos at Fly Fishing Monk's Phantom 18
Work Bio at Provision Retirement

willg
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by willg » Wed Oct 26, 2016 12:12 am

Casey, my hatch lid behind the console is 31 3/4" x 17". I picked that dimension somewhat arbitrarily, wanting a longish hatch but not so long as to risk having a bow in the hatch lid, and also to jibe with what I had in mind for the other hatches. I plan to make or have made a cushion which will seat 3 people. I have just accepted it that the edges of the cushion will extend beyond the hatch lid. I don't think there'd be an issue making a longer hatch, though, depending on construction technique. With the 1/2" of backing I put on the 3/8" hatch lid there is essentially no flex, probably would have been OK to go longer if I wanted.

I think I've got my front hatches worked out but I'm sitting on that for now to make sure. I'll post up when done.

I'm enjoying watching your progress, btw.

willg
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by willg » Mon Oct 31, 2016 9:30 pm

Got the front hatches cut out, using the same process as on the back. Andy (SmokyMountain), as you can see I lifted some (more) of your ideas. Thanks!

And installed scuppers for the cockpit. Nothing fancy, just a hole.

flyfishingmonk
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by flyfishingmonk » Mon Oct 31, 2016 10:54 pm

Can you point me to this process you are referring to? (Page or thread)

Thanks!

Casey
Do not withhold good from those to whom it is due, when it is in your power to act. PR 3:27

flyfishingmonk
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by flyfishingmonk » Mon Oct 31, 2016 11:00 pm

Never mind. Found it. =)

BarraMan

Post by BarraMan » Mon Oct 31, 2016 11:10 pm

The hatches look great!

Its a shame that the author of the original video to which I posted a link saw fit to take it down. I think he has a bit of a hang up on people using his construction information to build boats to other than his plans. Very short sighted IMO as builders often build more than one boat and for their next may well buy one of his plans - among which there are some great designs.

When I finish my build I may make another video of this simple method for making hatches - so it is there to help others.

willg
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by willg » Tue Nov 01, 2016 1:32 am

I like the simplicity of doing the hatches this way. I admire anyone who designs and builds hatches that route water away, I just couldn't see doing that for the 9 hatches I planned. Plus, the slam latches I bought basically allow water to pour through like a sieve and I didn't want to switch them out. The truth is I will have little time to spend on my boat over the next several years, and I just don't care if water gets into the hatches. All the spaces are drained, so I won't sink, and I'll keep important stuff in a dry bag. I also have pondered whether to rout out a channel for foam stripping, to help with water intrusion, but I'm going to skip that too.

I like the slam latches. What I did was to tweak the position of the metal catch just right so when the lid closes it's nice and tight, with no rattle. At least not yet. I'll post a picture of that soon.

flyfishingmonk
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by flyfishingmonk » Wed Nov 02, 2016 6:09 pm

Helpful comments for sure Will.

I am going to post on my thread about hatches and would like your feedback, when you get a chance to look at it. I wont bother placing it here so as not to get off the topic of your boat.

Casey