Knowing Limitations...

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
mindunderwater
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: Mind's Slow OD18 Build

Post by mindunderwater » Tue Jun 03, 2014 12:07 am

Some concerns put aside today. I tend to over-think things.

1st concern was drawing a consistent line using only a pencil, some bricks, nails and a length of PVC. No trouble there - it's pretty easy.

Revelation - exterior stuff really does have voids, lol. And HOW.... just wow. I'm not really concerned with them in the stringers given the glass, etc going on later. I'll be filling the edge voids before installation on the bottom.

justin_dwyer
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by justin_dwyer » Tue Jun 03, 2014 3:50 am

Better make sure those voids don't go all the way down the wood, you'd hate for your backbone to break :doh:

mindunderwater
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by mindunderwater » Tue Jun 03, 2014 9:23 am

According to Jacques they're acting more as a core for the epoxy / glass. I've actually been considering running a length of tape down them when they get laminated (tape in the middle). Strength is important, but I'm still more confident with this than I would be with a beam of dimension lumber. Too, you notice I indicate this is going to be a slow build. That means that dimensional stability is huge for me as I'll almost certainly be facing warping in any kind of solid lumber, even if properly dried. Humidity is just too variable here to count on anything else.

mindunderwater
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by mindunderwater » Fri Jun 06, 2014 9:16 am

Stringers are cut. Jig saw cuts will henceforth be used where absolutely required ONLY. Circular saw is the way to go as many here have suggested...

I'm going to put the brakes on this build for now. I want to build the GF16 or GV13 (leaning on the former but not outright sold) first to help 'get my feet wet'. I also realized I'm out of shape! Those big 3/4 panels are a pain, though thankfully there aren't many of them.

AtTheBrink
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by AtTheBrink » Fri Jun 06, 2014 12:53 pm

You are right on about the circular saw. You won't use that jigsaw much.

I think you should press on with your OD18 instead of building another boat to learn on. The OD isn't a complicated boat. You will do just fine with it being your first build. If you just just want to get your feet wet with this kind of building, save your money and time and build a canoe.
Mike

"Come, follow me and I will make you fishers of men."
Matthew 4:19

Dougster
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dougster » Fri Jun 06, 2014 2:07 pm

I found the circ saw better too, and only used the jig saw for tight curves. I think Brink is right about the OD not being particularly more difficult than the GF series. I'd build the one I wanted first, which ever that is. Tough choice 'cuz they're both such useful boats.

Watchin the Build Dougster

mindunderwater
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by mindunderwater » Sat Jun 07, 2014 10:13 am

The biggest problems with the OD18 are materials, size and build space. Too, I would definitely not mind having both! A small boat would be great for when its just me or I want to explore somewhere and don't really feel like risking a $7000 outboard, or rowing that eighteen footer home. LOTS of oyster beds etc where I want to go. I hear what you're saying but the smaller boat will give me a much better chance to get started and into something with an initial budget infusion. Too, the panels really ARE smaller and the GF16 is a much simpler boat.

Just a few examples - I don't have the floor space or even driveway space to lay out forty FEET of plywood as the plans indicate... :doh: and that's not assembly I'm saying just to draw the lines.

Cracker Larry
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Cracker Larry » Sat Jun 07, 2014 10:42 am

No need to worry about an OD18 around oysters :lol: Mine has been chewing up and spitting out oysters for 6 years. It doesn't draft much more than a GF16 either.
Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

mindunderwater
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by mindunderwater » Sat Jun 07, 2014 5:51 pm

CL - heh I bet :)

I was more worried about the outboard, though... Oysters vs Outboard = $!

I want to do one that's a bit less of a handful first, get J's construction methods down and get out on the water and LIVE with it a little, then move on to the OD18 which TBH would probably be the last boat I built / owned until I retired... or caught 5' disease.

AtTheBrink
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by AtTheBrink » Sat Jun 07, 2014 6:21 pm

I have lived on the Texas coast most all my life and I've fish it up and down for well over 25 years. From oysters in Galveston, rocks in Baffin and flats and sand bars in between and I have never done more than bend a prop shaft. I think you should build the boat you ultimately want. There is going to be a lot of sweat , tears and a little blood in your build not to mention the $$$. And regardless of what you build it will eventually bump an oyster bed or a rock or a dock or whatever.
Mike

"Come, follow me and I will make you fishers of men."
Matthew 4:19