FS17 Build

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
seaslug
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: FS 17 Build

Post by seaslug » Mon Nov 21, 2016 10:51 pm

You should have enough of a gap to see light show through the opening. From your description it sounds like where the plywood meets for example, at the chine, 2 edges of the plywood are tight together, and the gap you're describing is only on the outside, essentially forming a v shaped gap with the inside edges tight together. You need to use a spacer of some kind, I use a common nail, to achieve a small gap of 1/16" to 1/8" so that at no point does the plywood actually touch the adjoining piece of plywood. The added benefit using spacers is the hull panels lay down nicely, with no hard spots causing tension between the panels as you work down the hull tightening the zip ties. Having this gap also allows you some play room adjusting as you go, not worrying whether the gap varies a little, as long as everything flows nicely without any hard spots. Gaps are your friend. Just take your time, working methodically tightening the zip ties slowly and evenly a little at a time. Hope this helps. Mike

willg
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by willg » Mon Nov 21, 2016 11:06 pm

seaslug wrote:You should have enough of a gap to see light show through the opening. From your description it sounds like where the plywood meets for example, at the chine, 2 edges of the plywood are tight together, and the gap you're describing is only on the outside, essentially forming a v shaped gap with the inside edges tight together. You need to use a spacer of some kind, I use a common nail, to achieve a small gap of 1/16" to 1/8" so that at no point does the plywood actually touch the adjoining piece of plywood. The added benefit using spacers is the hull panels lay down nicely, with no hard spots causing tension between the panels as you work down the hull tightening the zip ties. Having this gap also allows you some play room adjusting as you go, not worrying whether the gap varies a little, as long as everything flows nicely without any hard spots. Gaps are your friend. Just take your time, working methodically tightening the zip ties slowly and evenly a little at a time. Hope this helps. Mike
Slug, great advice. I was in the process of posting a reply when I saw that you had written this - can't be improved upon.

Rat, after you get the gaps set up and before you put in putty, run some tape along the inside of those seams so putty/epoxy won't drip in. It will save having to fix it later. Also be sure apply some neat epoxy to the gaps before you apply the putty so it sets up good and strong.

Be prepared to be a happy guy when you remove the zip ties and your boat is still there! Good stuff!

topwater

Post by topwater » Tue Nov 22, 2016 6:29 am

Do it like SeaSlug says , he's right on the money on the gaps and how to keep them.
Novi 23 finally launched !

Browndog
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Browndog » Tue Nov 22, 2016 6:59 am

The nice thing about building a boat is that you learn as you go. If you don't make some mistakes, you don't learn as much. I've built two kayaks and now am building a canoe. The second kayak went together much faster than the first, The canoe is going together even better than the kayaks. None of the three are from Bateau, so I haven't posted anything here yet. Although I did just buy some quick fair, some kiwi grip and some paint for the canoe from them. The Kayaks were both bright finished. The canoe is going to have an epoxy/graphite bottom, paint on the top sides, a bright finish deck, gunwales and interior top sides with a kiwi grip non skid floor. All in preparation for a similar treatment on the FS 19 to come next.

The best thing I've done on all of the projects is to work a little bit each day on them. Sometimes, just a half hour or hour. Keeps the momentum up. My TV just crapped out on me a couple of weeks ago and I've made a lot of progress on the canoe because of it!

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff » Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:37 am

Browndog, there is no problem in loading your canoe and kayak photo's!! We accept and look for all boat builds, repairs, etc!! Jeff

Parkrat
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Parkrat » Tue Nov 22, 2016 2:14 pm

narfi wrote:I haven't built one yet (just bought the FS19 plans)..... I understood that the transom is used as one of the mold pieces and glassed in with the bottom and sides?
http://bateau2.com/howto/jig.php
Yes, it is. It was up for a little bit and everything fit well. I just removed it to plane it some more.
seaslug wrote:You should have enough of a gap to see light show through the opening. From your description it sounds like where the plywood meets for example, at the chine, 2 edges of the plywood are tight together, and the gap you're describing is only on the outside, essentially forming a v shaped gap with the inside edges tight together. You need to use a spacer of some kind, I use a common nail, to achieve a small gap of 1/16" to 1/8" so that at no point does the plywood actually touch the adjoining piece of plywood. The added benefit using spacers is the hull panels lay down nicely, with no hard spots causing tension between the panels as you work down the hull tightening the zip ties. Having this gap also allows you some play room adjusting as you go, not worrying whether the gap varies a little, as long as everything flows nicely without any hard spots. Gaps are your friend. Just take your time, working methodically tightening the zip ties slowly and evenly a little at a time. Hope this helps. Mike
Exactly! Your description is spot on. I'll put a spacer in there to make sure there is a small gap. I've looked at a lot of threads and some have spaces and some are tight. I'll try for a small space. Thanks
willg wrote:Rat, after you get the gaps set up and before you put in putty, run some tape along the inside of those seams so putty/epoxy won't drip in. It will save having to fix it later. Also be sure apply some neat epoxy to the gaps before you apply the putty so it sets up good and strong.
I guess this would help in not having to sand the extra that leaks through before I putty the inside seams?

Browndog, please post some picks of the kayak and current canoe in this thread.We would love to see them!

Browndog
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Browndog » Tue Nov 22, 2016 7:13 pm

Ok. A couple of photos of the finished kayaks. One is 14 1/2 feet that I built for my wife. The other is 17 feet that I built for myself. They track beautifully and are very light. The other photos are of the canoe in progress with a picture of the seats being assembled. I'm a little further along than these photos show, but I didn't take any more recent photos. I hope you enjoy them. Thanks Jeff for the encouragement.
Attachments
IMG_0012.JPG

peter-curacao

Post by peter-curacao » Tue Nov 22, 2016 7:16 pm

WOW just WOW 8O I'm speechless beautiful work really ! 8) 8)

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff » Tue Nov 22, 2016 7:36 pm

Browndog, beautiful work!! Post photos of your canoe when you have time!!! Jeff

Cracker Larry

Re: FS17 Build

Post by Cracker Larry » Sat Nov 26, 2016 8:30 am

Wow! What they said! Beautiful yaks 8)
Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose