FS17 Build

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Parkrat
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: FS17 Build

Post by Parkrat » Sun Mar 05, 2017 10:12 pm

Haven't posted in a while, but I think I'm finally finished sanding. Learned my lesson about using a lot of ez fillet. :roll: I have nice rounded edges. How smooth should it be before I can start laying fiberglass?

pee wee
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by pee wee » Mon Mar 06, 2017 9:08 am

It looks like you're good to go, it doesn't need to be all that smooth.
Hank

Eric1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Eric1 » Mon Mar 06, 2017 11:08 am

Wrap that Rascal! :lol:

bateau-webmaster

Post by bateau-webmaster » Mon Mar 06, 2017 12:24 pm

I concur, do it up! Pre-fairing never hurts, but you still wind up having more sanding to do at the end.

Edit: by that I mean smoothing everything out ahead of time, never use fairing compound under the glass :P

Parkrat
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Parkrat » Mon Mar 06, 2017 9:43 pm

Cool.. I'm going to start wrapping her!

willg
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by willg » Tue Mar 07, 2017 12:06 am

Please make sure your chine and transom edges are rounded over well. At the bow your edges look good to me but I wonder if they're too sharp aft and at the transom. Maybe they're fine and I just can't tell from the picture.

On my PH18 I wound up grinding away all the glass from the aftward edges. It was a serious pain to do and the right thing, but I wouldn't want to see anybody have to do what I did. I don't think an edge could be too rounded, as it's going to be built up anyway after the glass is down.

Parkrat
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Parkrat » Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:06 am

I get what you're saying and I'll go over it one more time. There are a few spots where I want to add a little ez fillet anyway so I'll need to bust the sander out again.

I guess you really can't go too round. Looks better that way

Mikem59
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Mikem59 » Tue Mar 07, 2017 11:10 pm

I agree on making sure your edges/corners are rounded. I had some issues on a section of my chine where the glass just won't make that angle. Here's my result of my error. One good thing about these builds, I haven't had a mistake I couldn't recover from, along with the help of this forum.

Mike

Parkrat
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Parkrat » Wed Mar 08, 2017 9:45 am

Thanks for the pic Mikem59. I've decided to do some more rounding. Not like I don't have the time. :lol:

Parkrat
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Parkrat » Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:56 pm

I have a couple questions and would like a little advice. I'm ready to fiberglass the outside! Sanding and rounding turned out great. I won't be able to fiberglass all the seams and outside at once. Is it okay to fiberglass the keel and bow first? Offset the 2 layers by an inch or so. Then come back another day and do the other seams? I know at some point the fiberglass will overlap and I'll need to sand it first. I guess it some spots as it overlaps it could be 4 layers thick? Like at the transom and keel. It's warming up there so it's time to fiberglass! Thanks guys. :D