ST21 Hybrid Powered "SKINNYDIP" Noosa Australia

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: ST21 Hybrid Powered "SKINNYDIP" Noosa Australia

Post by glossieblack » Thu Feb 01, 2018 5:46 am

Fuzz wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2018 2:38 am
You have no idea how happy it made me to learn you too had to fill a gap once in a while :D
Happy to be of service Fuzz! :D

But seriously, the point I was trying to make was that because JM's approach encourages the moderate gap, whereas traditional timber boat building forbids it, JM gives the likes of me an alternative entrée into the boatbuilding world.

Completed R13 two part nesting rowboat. ST 21 under construction .... where seeking perfection is recognized as the enemy of the good.

BarraMan
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by BarraMan » Thu Feb 01, 2018 7:12 am

glossieblack wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2018 5:46 am
Fuzz wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2018 2:38 am
You have no idea how happy it made me to learn you too had to fill a gap once in a while :D
Happy to be of service Fuzz! :D
But seriously, the point I was trying to make was that because JM's approach encourages the moderate gap, whereas traditional timber boat building forbids it, JM gives the likes of me an alternative entrée into the boatbuilding world.
I’ll second that!

icelikkilinc

Post by icelikkilinc » Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:17 am

Glad I helped

Below is another very cool boat
Owned by one of the richest guys in Turkey - he has several but he is not only showing off and restoring old

Below pics from his daughters wedding where instead of a limo, they used his boat and all other guests in small boats to a small island in North Aegean.
I believe this baby was salvaged, was a lifeboat from a ship that was sent to Aliaga ship breakers..

Ilker

TW28 launch: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=23369

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack » Fri Feb 02, 2018 6:10 am

Thanks Ilker, she's a beauty!

I spent nearly half a day today clumsily learning, by frustrating trial and error, that for an inboard diesel engine installation, correctly setting up the forward-neutral-reverse gear shift operation involves choices at both the shift lever and gearbox shift arm ends of the connecting shift cable.

When I'd finally worked this out, I rang my boat building mate to check that this was right.

"Every stupid bastards knows that you stupid bastard" was his serially illogical but supportive response.

The pic below, taken some five months ago, shows the longer dual purpose diesel engine revs and gear shift lever to the left, and the shorter dual purpose e-motor engine revs and gear sift lever on the right.

Until today, I hadn't realised that it was possible, by reconfiguring the internals of the shift lever assembly, long stroke, standard stroke and short stroke options for the cable connecting the change lever to the gearbox F-N-R lever were available. I'd assumed that stroke length could only be adjusted at the gearbox change arm end.

No wonder I've been having difficulty getting the gearbox to do with precision what the change lever was trying to tell it to do.

The joys of being a stupid bastard that doesn't know what every stupid bastard knows! :lol:

Last edited by glossieblack on Fri Feb 02, 2018 7:30 am, edited 2 times in total.
Completed R13 two part nesting rowboat. ST 21 under construction .... where seeking perfection is recognized as the enemy of the good.

cape man

Post by cape man » Fri Feb 02, 2018 6:20 am

Too funny.
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

peter-curacao

Post by peter-curacao » Fri Feb 02, 2018 6:24 am

Would have been cool if you could had rebuild the Edrive control into a double gas lever, something like this
Boat looks fantastic 8)

OrangeQuest

Post by OrangeQuest » Fri Feb 02, 2018 6:31 am

Just think, You are the one that put it in, tinkered with it and now know all is it's every component. Any break down you will not need to consult anyone else.

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack » Sun Feb 04, 2018 6:22 am

It's becoming a recurring daydream ...... flying to the States, buying a boat, casually cruising the Great Loop for a year, selling the boat for around what it cost, and flying back home. The latest candidate:

http://newimages.yachtworld.com/resize/ ... 5238022000

cape man

Post by cape man » Sun Feb 04, 2018 7:02 am

Do it! Our lives are the sum of our experiences. That would be a good one.
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

cape man

Post by cape man » Sun Feb 04, 2018 7:04 am

Better yet, bring Great Sandy over... 8)