ST21 Hybrid Powered "SKINNYDIP" Noosa Australia

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
BarraMan
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: ST21 Hybrid Powered "SKINNYDIP" Noosa Australia

Post by BarraMan » Sun Feb 04, 2018 7:52 am

That looks much more like your style, Glossie!

topwater

Post by topwater » Sun Feb 04, 2018 8:28 am

Glossie you have got to stay off the Offcenterharbor web site , its a real bad influence :wink:
Novi 23 finally launched !

Browndog
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Browndog » Sun Feb 04, 2018 8:44 am

If you decide to do the great loop, there are many of us along the route that would be glad to host you or join you for a section of it.

I’m sure from your research you’ve already figured out the Route:

Many people start in the spring in Florida and then travel up the East Coast of the United States, mostly along the intercostal waterway, to New York and then turn West to the Great Lakes where they travel through the Summer, some detouring into Canada. Then as Fall approaches the loop turns South along the Great Rivers, taking advantage of traveling with the River flow. There are some choices to make as to which Rivers to travel on, but usually it is some combination of the Illinois, Mississippi, Ohio, and Tennessee Rivers, down to the Gulf of Mexico and then East to Florida again for the Winter. Depending on your Route and side trips, some 5000 to 6000 miles of on water travel.

I have been planning my Great loop trip for years. My challenge is finding crew to travel with me as I don’t want to do the trip alone and my wife is not interested in a months long adventure. She would probably join the trip for a week or two here and there. My Brother and other friends would do the same. So, I’m putting it off for now.

Hope you do it. In my opinion It is one of the great unsung adventures still available to the adventurous. You will see the United States and Canada in a way that most natives haven’t and will likely encounter unspoiled nature, authentic cuisine, intense curiosity and unbelievable hospitality along the way.

It is a wonderfully fertile trip for day dreaming about too.

peter-curacao

Post by peter-curacao » Sun Feb 04, 2018 9:00 am

Browndog very interesting now you have me looked into it also :D , but a year? a little to long for my taste :?

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest » Sun Feb 04, 2018 9:35 am

When my EX and I were talking about retirement we considered buying a trawler style boat and living on it instead of a house. One of the things I heard about was young people wanting to learn to sail would PAY to be a crew member. They are the crew and you teach them as you travel. Sometimes they want to just travel to "see the world" and you pick them up at one spot and drop them off somewhere along the way.

Like the ranchers do to herd cattle. Something to thing about.

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack » Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:07 am

Well today I bit the bullet and started making the adjustments required to install a robust rubber rub rail along the gunwales of Skinnydip.

I had previously set up the rub rail bases for an overlay of visually delicate and pleasing vertically tapering raw teak rails, as the classic builders of yesteryear did. It would have looked great. But now practicality has sunk in, and I accept that I need to be able to raft up Skinnydip to Great Sandy without damage while I organise fenders, spring lines etc.

Which means I need a wider and uniform height rub rail base on which to install a uniform profile rubber rub rail guard. (I'm going with Tessilmare 50 radial).

Once again two steps forward and one step back ...... or is it one forward, two back .... or what does it matter, just get it done.

Thanks for the interest in my Great Loop day dreaming capeman, BarraMan, Topwater, Browndog, Peter C, and OrangeQuest.

Browndog, as I understand it, the full Loop can be enjoyed at a leisurely pace in one year. Is this the conventional wisdom?

Capeman, if cruising Great Sandy via the Suez Canal was safe, we'd cruise the Med then the Great Loop like rats up a rope. Alas, the child bride is not even vaguely interested in tackling either Cape Horn or Cape of Good Hope. :cry:
Completed R13 two part nesting rowboat. ST 21 under construction .... where seeking perfection is recognized as the enemy of the good.

BarraMan

Post by BarraMan » Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:45 am

Michael, I’ve got Tessilmare 50 radial on my boat. Works well and is easy to put on. I went with white - shoulda gone with black!

I’m heading south with the boat on Wednesday to get the new trailer custom fitted - will give you a ring when I know what I’m doing.

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack » Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:59 am

Lee, Does the white get marked easily? I'm thinking white or grey. If you've got a 10cm offcut of the TM 50 plastic base and rubber overlay, it would be appreciated. Look forward to hearing from you. Michael.
Completed R13 two part nesting rowboat. ST 21 under construction .... where seeking perfection is recognized as the enemy of the good.

cape man

Post by cape man » Mon Feb 05, 2018 6:45 am

It sucks when humans are more dangerous than the Capes...

If it is grey or white, my choice is grey. Sure you can't make a bunch of bumpers work?
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

BarraMan

Post by BarraMan » Mon Feb 05, 2018 6:53 am

Yes, the white marks easily - I’ll replace it with black sometime.

I think I dumped the excess, unfortunately, but I may have a small piece.
Last edited by BarraMan on Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:51 am, edited 1 time in total.