ST21 Hybrid Powered "SKINNYDIP" Noosa Australia

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: ST21 Hybrid Powered "SKINNYDIP" Noosa Australia

Post by glossieblack » Thu May 31, 2018 4:42 am

Spokaloo wrote:
Wed May 30, 2018 12:04 pm
More importantly, I have to see how your boat does on the water. I've been quietly watching over the years, so please throw the throttle to the pins and get her in the water! I'm dying to see the video of her wake at WOT.
The child bride is itching to go cruising in our blow boat again, so I'm pushing hard to get Skinnydip to the point where she can be rat rod run tested again, this time at WOT, before we go cruising. Like you, I want to see how she performs!

Through-hull drain tubes were installed port and starboard today in both the anchor locker and the e-drive locker. The four through hull holes were cut, then each tube was glued into position with protrusions of approximately 1/8" internally and externally. They will be trimmed back flush with the hull after the epoxy has cured.

The first pic shows the glass tubing, which were offcuts from the tubes fabricated up to house the stainless steel grab bar.

The second pic shows how the tubes have been glued into position ready for trimming.

Completed R13 two part nesting rowboat. ST 21 under construction .... where seeking perfection is recognized as the enemy of the good.

OrangeQuest

Post by OrangeQuest » Thu May 31, 2018 8:41 am

Interesting!! These are just drain through so they will not get any plugs or nothing? My guess is this is a lot easier than drilling over size holes and then filling and then re-drilling to the correct size and hoping that the hole is perfectly centered. And it should be strong enough to handle an expanding plug? Could this method be used for below the water line holes for strainers and such?

I love the things you come up with but when you stop and think about this stuff over a glass or two of wine you must go through a lot of wine! :wink:

:lol:

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen » Thu May 31, 2018 8:55 am

or does he use a different sized "glass" than the rest of us?
Jaysen wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm
I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack » Fri Jun 01, 2018 5:43 am

Thanks for the interest and humour OQ and Jaysen. :D

This afternoon I started building backing blocks for the deck cleats.

For strength, the blocks for the cleats forward and aft of the cockpit span between two frames, and are let into them.

The blocks for the cleats adjacent to the centre of the cockpit consist of an upper layer of marine ply straddling a frame, glued to solid ¾” thick pine blocks underneath. These also serve as butt blocks for joining deck panels.

The first and second pics show the starboard blocks for the cleat forward and aft of the cockpit respectively.

The third pic shows the backing block for the cleat adjacent to the centre of the cockpit and for joining deck panels.

All backing blocks will be glued and glassed in.

Completed R13 two part nesting rowboat. ST 21 under construction .... where seeking perfection is recognized as the enemy of the good.

OrangeQuest

Post by OrangeQuest » Fri Jun 01, 2018 8:37 am

I really like the center picture of SKINNYDIP, puts the boat into perspective.

With all the reinforcement you are putting into the cleats they should hold up to all kinds of abuse.

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Fuzz » Fri Jun 01, 2018 2:39 pm

Looking at the photos it does not look like you are very far away from being able to put the decks down.
I am sure hoping for a full power rat run before the cruising itch must be scratched. But if the itch wins out the boat will still be there.

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 » Fri Jun 01, 2018 4:04 pm

Ah shoot she WMBO has risen her head again. Take her for a month long cruise and say honey do the motor is acting up and we need to go home. :lol: :lol:

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack » Sat Jun 02, 2018 4:40 am

Thanks for your responses OQ, Fuzz and Tom. :D
Fuzz wrote:
Fri Jun 01, 2018 2:39 pm
Looking at the photos it does not look like you are very far away from being able to put the decks down.
I am sure hoping for a full power rat run before the cruising itch must be scratched. But if the itch wins out the boat will still be there.
The hold up with getting all the decks down is progress on finalising the e-drive wiring and programming by Eco Boat Australia. I'm not going to gamble on getting on gluing down the aft deck until the e-drive subsystem has been properly rat run tested.

I'll probably settle on a rat rod test run for only the diesel drive subsystem before we go cruising, which would allow the forward deck to be glued down, while the aft deck could temporarily screwed down.

The priorities for me are a WOT rat rod test run under diesel, and to get cruising asap. It's no biggie for me if the e-drive installation and the full build are not completed until we return from cruising.

I enjoy building Skinnydip, but once we need to put a blanket on the bed at night,or wear more than a tee shirt and shorts during the day, we like to cruise Great Sandy up the Australian Coral Coast to warmer climes. :wink:

BarraMan

Post by BarraMan » Sat Jun 02, 2018 5:12 am

I enjoy building Skinnydip, but once we need to put a blanket on the bed at night,or wear more than a tee shirt and shorts during the day, we like to cruise Great Sandy up the Australian Coral Coast to warmer climes. :wink:
Good to go with the latter Glossie, but you’ll need to go further north than Townsville to avoid the former! :D

I had to make a quick search for a blanket about 2:00 am a couple of nights ago to keep my bride and I snug. :lol:

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack » Sat Jun 02, 2018 6:20 am

BarraMan wrote:
Sat Jun 02, 2018 5:12 am
Good to go with the latter Glossie, but you’ll need to go further north than Townsville to avoid the former! :D

I had to make a quick search for a blanket about 2:00 am a couple of nights ago to keep my bride and I snug. :lol:
You're a lazy bastard Lee. There's an easier and more pleasurable way to keep the child bride warm at 2.00 am. :D