ST21 Hybrid Powered "SKINNYDIP" Noosa Australia

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: ST21 Hybrid Powered "SKINNYDIP" Noosa Australia

Post by Jaysen » Sat Sep 21, 2019 6:32 am

Call the manufacturer of you cells. Each cell may have a built in charge regulator. If it does then you may be chasing your tail.

The regulator monitors he cells to prevent overheating and over charge. This may literally make it impossible for you to charge them with matched voltage at percentages without some level of super smart charging.

Jaysen wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm
I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest » Sat Sep 21, 2019 7:57 am

"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack » Sun Sep 22, 2019 3:38 am

Thanks for the lead to a great article OQ!

I had no idea how little I knew about lithium ion batteries, and how to care for them. :help:

I think I can now ask the suppliers of the batteries the right questions, starting with Jaysen's suggested one.

Thank again. :D
Completed R13 two part nesting rowboat. ST 21 under construction .... where seeking perfection is recognized as the enemy of the good.

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack » Mon Sep 23, 2019 4:28 am

Jaysen wrote:
Sat Sep 21, 2019 6:32 am
Call the manufacturer of you cells. Each cell may have a built in charge regulator. If it does then you may be chasing your tail.

The regulator monitors he cells to prevent overheating and over charge. This may literally make it impossible for you to charge them with matched voltage at percentages without some level of super smart charging.
Called the Australian distributor of the 3.2V cells. They don't have a built in charge regulator. Instead an external battery monitoring system (BMS) at monitors the 16 x 3.2v battery bank and shuts it down if its charge is too high or too low.

The new 10" diameter right hand propeller with a 12" pitch is ready for collection from the custom prop builder. :D

I'll wager there's not many such props being used in today's world. :wink:
Last edited by glossieblack on Mon Sep 23, 2019 4:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Completed R13 two part nesting rowboat. ST 21 under construction .... where seeking perfection is recognized as the enemy of the good.

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Fuzz » Mon Sep 23, 2019 4:35 am

So with the new prop you will be able to test the E-drive system soon? When is the expected date for the return of the diesel with the new tranny?

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack » Tue Sep 24, 2019 4:21 am

Fuzz wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 4:35 am
So with the new prop you will be able to test the E-drive system soon? When is the expected date for the return of the diesel with the new tranny?
The e-drive can be tested with either the old LH prop of the new RH prop, because the electric motor can be made to spin either way by switching its electrical connections.

The engine and new trannie is due next week.

The rest of this week is cactus, so the plan is to reinstall the diesel engine next week and do rat rod tests either late next week or the following week as follows: 1. diesel only drive; 2. electric only drive; 3. if diesel only and electric only both ok, then and only then hybrid diesel-electric drive.

Builder's decision final, no correspondence entered into. :wink:
Last edited by glossieblack on Tue Sep 24, 2019 7:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen » Tue Sep 24, 2019 7:04 am

Backing up to the battery charging... unless your charger is monitoring individual cells, how will you ensure common charge rate? Most manufacturers use “in cell” monitoring for drop in replacement type so existing tech can be used for charging. “New” style systems put the logic in the charger to reduce the cost of cells and provide better feedback to controllers.

I feel like I’m diving into the weeds unnecessarily as you’ve done a crap ton of research. I’m struggling to understand how charging will work to spec with existing cell/charger config.
Jaysen wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm
I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

cape man

Post by cape man » Tue Sep 24, 2019 12:56 pm

The rest of this week is cactus,...
Had to look it up, but I knew it was Aussie slang...

(Australia, slang) Broken; ruined; no longer working, more recently especially related to a technical system. My computer is cactused!

Sometimes its a piece of piss to know what ya are saying in Straya, and other times it is just plain hard yakka.
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

BarraMan

Post by BarraMan » Wed Sep 25, 2019 6:35 am

Not “cactused” - just “cactus” !

ie My computer is cactus!

cape man

Post by cape man » Wed Sep 25, 2019 11:01 am

Yall are just crazy buggy loony, knock kneed and liver lipped!

(Quick Michael! Post some boat stuff! Jaysen is surely trolling around!)
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman