ST21 'Skinnydip' build, and boating adventures, Noosa, Australia

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: ST21 Hybrid Powered "SKINNYDIP" Noosa Australia

Post by glossieblack » Thu Jan 30, 2020 3:26 am

It's been a beautiful sunny day on the water in Noosa today, so I've mucked around on Great Sandy doing a few odd jobs and installing the new mixing eblow.

I'll touch-up the attachment bolts and hose clamps with Volvo green paint in due course.

Currently building Jacques Mertens ST21 "Skinnydip". Boating adventures: Splash testing and using 'Skinnydip, as a basis of further building refinement; Adams 44’ sailing sloop "Great Sandy" (cruising and maintaining); Iain Oughtred Feather Pram "Mini Dip" (building); Jacques Mertens R13 "Wood Duck" (built and due for maintenance).

Eric1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Eric1 » Thu Jan 30, 2020 4:24 am

Nice job Glossie. :D

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff » Thu Jan 30, 2020 6:41 am

Nice work GB!!!! Jeff

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack » Sat Feb 01, 2020 6:18 am

I hurt my head today, to no avail.

These past four months I've resisted reflecting on why Skinnydip's 20 hp diesel engine destroyed three difference damper plates of a 1:1 ZF Hurth hydraulic trannie rated to 300 hp, but comfortably co-exists with a Twin Disc 1.5:1 mechanical trannie rated to around 50hp.

I've been quietly confident the answer would just pop up from my subconscious sooner or later, given the amount of time I'd spent thinking it through over previous years of frustration. But nothing even vaguely popped.

So today I thought about it long and hard. Still nothing. :roll.
Currently building Jacques Mertens ST21 "Skinnydip". Boating adventures: Splash testing and using 'Skinnydip, as a basis of further building refinement; Adams 44’ sailing sloop "Great Sandy" (cruising and maintaining); Iain Oughtred Feather Pram "Mini Dip" (building); Jacques Mertens R13 "Wood Duck" (built and due for maintenance).

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest » Sat Feb 01, 2020 9:27 am

I will admit, I gave it a lot of thought as it was happening and after. I know everything possible has been tested, checked and measured. But without touching it the only thing it seems can cause such a strong dampener to destroy itself in such a short time with so much under power compared to what it is rated for is alignment between engine block and transmission. Which I understand that was checked many times. Anyway, I gave up on figuring it out over the web a few months ago. :)
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen » Sat Feb 01, 2020 10:58 am

Is it possible that there just wasn’t enough pressure between them? Ex the alignment was good but the bell housing needed faced by a couple thousandths?

Not that it matters now. Just the one thing I don’t recall being mentioned.
Visit my official Class Globe 580 build blog at https://jaysenodell.com/globe-580
Currently starting a build of "Lil Bit More". A Class Mini 5.80
Class Mini 580 welcome post.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Jaysen wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm
I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

Spokaloo
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Spokaloo » Sat Feb 01, 2020 12:39 pm

Has the opportunity presented itself To get some performance data on the boat? All up weight, speeds at each 200rpm increment, estimated draft at each 500rpm increment?

Still hoping for some good data, some good video, and an understanding of what the performance means to you.

E

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz » Sat Feb 01, 2020 1:55 pm

While I very happy you have the tranny problems in back of you I do wonder how much performance you are giving up with the slower turning prop. I know the normal answer would be to use a larger prop with more pitch but I do not believe those options are available to you on this build :doh:
On a side note I regret for you Aussies that one of your own did not win the AO. It did work out for us pretty well so I will not complain.

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack » Mon Feb 03, 2020 3:23 pm

Thanks guys. :D

Skinnydip was stored on her build cradle in the shed while we went cruising in Great Sandy. Fortunately the bushfires ignored her.

She's still there, awaiting the availability of a trailer to relaunch her. That should be any day now.

cape man

Post by cape man » Mon Feb 03, 2020 4:54 pm

Glossie,
We just had two weeks with my father in law, a 89 year old, retired helicopter engineer. His last job was working on the V22 Osprey and figuring out how to make the wiring harness below the wings that rotates 90 degrees do so without the 500 or so wires in it not tangle (guess he figured it out).

He and my wife spent most of the time visiting aeronautic and train museums around the state... He came home, and for his last two days here was drawing the engineering diagrams of how a 12 cylinder rotary engine can operate with a single cam...

Send me an email with everything you can about the transmission, motor, prop, etc. and I'll give him something else to ponder. If nothing else, you will be exercising a brilliant mind that's about to turn 90. 8)
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman