ST21 'Skinnydip' build, and boating adventures, Noosa, Australia

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: ST21 Hybrid Powered "SKINNYDIP" Noosa Australia

Post by Fuzz » Sun Apr 12, 2020 4:07 pm

Jeff wrote:
Sun Apr 12, 2020 3:59 pm
GB, glad you are better and happy birthday to the child bride!!!! You guys take good care and enjoy yourself, Jeff
X2 :D

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack » Mon Apr 13, 2020 4:35 am

Thanks cape man, Jeff and Fuzz. :D

I've decided to enjoy myself, while locked down, building an ultralight tender for Great Sandy.

She needs to weigh less than 40 lbs so I can carry her solo, be less than 7' long to store on GS's foredeck, be able to safely carry the two of us under oar, outboard or sail, and she be pretty as.

She'll be a Ian Oughtred Feather Pram, glued ply lapstrake. :D

Currently building Jacques Mertens ST21 "Skinnydip". Boating adventures: Splash testing and using 'Skinnydip, as a basis of further building refinement; Adams 44’ sailing sloop "Great Sandy" (cruising and maintaining); Iain Oughtred Feather Pram "Mini Dip" (building); Jacques Mertens R13 "Wood Duck" (built and due for maintenance).

BarraMan

Post by BarraMan » Mon Apr 13, 2020 4:56 am

Looks pretty sweet Glossie! Did you knock that up over Easter? :lol:
Last edited by BarraMan on Tue Apr 14, 2020 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cape man

Post by cape man » Mon Apr 13, 2020 5:09 am

Under 40 lbs... Going to love this one!
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest » Mon Apr 13, 2020 7:38 am

Under 40 pounds!? Interesting and will be exciting to follow!!
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne

Rogerdog
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Rogerdog » Mon Apr 13, 2020 10:07 am

That pram is a beautiful boat.

One thing about lapstrake construction -- its really hard to put on a layer of fiberglass once its all put together, and if she's going to live on a cruising sailboat, being fiberglassed will help with her maintenance. One work around is to fiberglass and fair the strakes on both sides with very light cloth before stitching it together. The wood is protected and won't check the way plywood just coated with epoxy eventually will.

Good luck.

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack » Tue Apr 14, 2020 8:03 am

OQ and cape man, Iain Oughtred's Feather Pram has eight 1/6" thick lapstrake planks per side, with the overlapping joints being planed to tight tolerances - a challenge I'm looking forward to. The overlapping joints are epoxy glued but not fibreglass taped, so there is little to no filling and fairing - gotta like that. The end result is lighter weight than if the same boat was built stitch and glue. And it can be finished bright inside and out if you wish. I would not have had the confidence to attempt building this way without having tackled a stitch and glue boat like Skinnydip first.

Thanks Rogerdog, good to hear from you. Are you still enjoying your beautiful GF 18?
Currently building Jacques Mertens ST21 "Skinnydip". Boating adventures: Splash testing and using 'Skinnydip, as a basis of further building refinement; Adams 44’ sailing sloop "Great Sandy" (cruising and maintaining); Iain Oughtred Feather Pram "Mini Dip" (building); Jacques Mertens R13 "Wood Duck" (built and due for maintenance).

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen » Tue Apr 14, 2020 10:18 am

GB. remember to use a long shooting plane or you are more likely to get subtle curves in the joint edge. The curves will compound once matched. I'm sure you've got this, but I feel obligated to mention it because... I'm me. :D
Visit my official Class Globe 580 build blog at https://jaysenodell.com/globe-580
Currently starting a build of "Lil Bit More". A Class Mini 5.80
Class Mini 580 welcome post.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Jaysen wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm
I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz » Tue Apr 14, 2020 6:01 pm

You said something about living on the north shore of Noosa and I got to looking. If you do not mind saying are you up or downstream of Goat Island?

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack » Wed Apr 15, 2020 7:32 am

Thanks Jaysen, good advice.

Fuzz, running upstream from the Noosa River bar to the section of the river adjacent to where we live a little inland, Goat Island is a tad over half way.

Spent a lazy sunny Noosa afternoon doing maintenance work on Great Sandy. Messing about in boats therapy to relieve the tedium of the lockdown. :D