ST21 'Skinnydip' build, and boating adventures, Noosa, Australia

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: ST21 'Skinnydip' build, and boating adventures, Noosa, Australia

Post by glossieblack » Sun Jul 12, 2020 3:48 am

Installed a muffler into Skinnydip's exhaust line today, ran it in in neutral up the rev range at anchor, and it sounds far more civilised. :D

Then the heavens opened and bucketed rain, so postponed sea trials.

Currently building Jacques Mertens ST21 "Skinnydip". Boating adventures: Splash testing and using 'Skinnydip, as a basis of further building refinement; Adams 44’ sailing sloop "Great Sandy" (cruising and maintaining); Iain Oughtred Feather Pram "Mini Dip" (building); Jacques Mertens R13 "Wood Duck" (built and due for maintenance).

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest » Sun Jul 12, 2020 5:24 am

With our current heat doom forming over most of the southern US we could use a few afternoon heat showers. But the bayou just drained down enough to start using it again form the last shower we got.
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack » Mon Jul 13, 2020 3:01 am

OrangeQuest wrote:
Sun Jul 12, 2020 5:24 am
With our current heat doom forming over most of the southern US we could use a few afternoon heat showers. But the bayou just drained down enough to start using it again form the last shower we got.
Wow OQ, I've just discovered how extensive the bayou system in your neck of the woods appears to be.

Are all the mayor waterways shown in the pic below considered part of a single bayou system, and if so, what's its generic name?

Currently building Jacques Mertens ST21 "Skinnydip". Boating adventures: Splash testing and using 'Skinnydip, as a basis of further building refinement; Adams 44’ sailing sloop "Great Sandy" (cruising and maintaining); Iain Oughtred Feather Pram "Mini Dip" (building); Jacques Mertens R13 "Wood Duck" (built and due for maintenance).

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest » Mon Jul 13, 2020 5:22 am

It is all part of the San Jacinto water Basin. Which is controlled by the San Jacinto River Authority but managed by Texas Water Development Board. Most of those bayous flow into the Buffalo Bayou and on out into Galveston. Our section of the bayou is maintained by Harris County Flood Control but Army Corps Of Engineers controls the routing and 10 feet from the water's edge of the bayou. There are two reservoirs ( Baker and Addicks with storage capacity of about 410,000 acre feet) that are used for flood control of Downtown Houston. The ACOE also controls the flow of the bayou with each reservoir having controllable flood gates that are closed during heavy rain events and then opened after the water runs off all the watersheds.

The highest point of the reservoirs is about 112 feet above sea level and Houston is about 50 feet above sea level. From the flood gates to sea level is about 20 miles so it moves very slowly. Normal flow rate is around 100 cubic feet per second but seen it as high as 80,000 CFS during flooding of Harvey.
Clip of the flooding of Harvey. This is where we rent boats at.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dW54QnHyFNI

Here is a link to Harris County Flood control that is useful for seeing the water sheds and the flow gauges we look at to tell if it is safe to paddle on the waterways.
https://www.harriscountyfws.org/
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack » Tue Jul 14, 2020 6:05 am

Thanks OQ. very interesting. Buffalo Bayou Seems like a highly regulated waterway where flood control rules, with optimal environmental flows are a secondary consideration? Regardless, when conditions are right, are your customers able to paddle into natural riparian environments free of urban development intrusions?

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack » Sat Jul 18, 2020 5:40 am

glossieblack wrote:
Sun Jul 12, 2020 3:48 am
Installed a muffler into Skinnydip's exhaust line today, ran it in in neutral up the rev range at anchor, and it sounds far more civilised. :D

Then the heavens opened and bucketed rain, so postponed sea trials.
I'm starting to fear CLOOFs messing around in boats. :help:

I grabbed a couple of hours of winter sunshine today to sea trail Skinnydip's new muffler setup. Up to hull speed, great, easing up to WOT, great. Then what the F***, overheating! 8O :help:

Given prior commitments, I had no time to properly troubleshoot. I suspect raw water impellor failure caused by this stupid CLOOF installing the muffler back to front, thereby causing exhaust hose and hence raw water resistance, causing impellor failure. 8O :oops:

Time for a settling glass of red. :wink:

cape man
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by cape man » Sat Jul 18, 2020 5:55 am

Ain't nothing but a thang. 8)
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack » Mon Jul 20, 2020 5:48 am

cape man wrote:
Sat Jul 18, 2020 5:55 am
Ain't nothing but a thang. 8)
Agreed, and it's rarely anything more. :D

I grabbed a few hours on Skinnydip this afternoon under glorious sunny winter skies. The muffler is installed with input and output the right way around. So CLOOF error is not the problem this time. Phew! :D

Further testing has seemingly isolated the problem to the raw water impellor that I replaced not so long ago. Shifting CLOOF syndrome? :wink:

I hope to have time to check out the impellor tomorrow. :D

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz » Mon Jul 20, 2020 12:48 pm

Do you have a picture of the pump? I had a similar problem one time. I solved it by installing a bigger pump and turning it much slower.

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack » Tue Jul 21, 2020 8:02 am

Fuzz, the raw water pump is stock standard for both Beta and Nanni marine versions of the same 20hp Kubota marinised diesel engine in Skinnydip, so I'm confident there is not a pump specification issue at play here.

I spent a coupe of hours trouble shooting the problem today. The impellor looks good, and there are no raw water flow restrictions. What I did find was a loose raw water hose connection on the inlet side of the raw water pump, and two out of six loose screws fixing the cover plate of the raw water pump.

My current hypothesis is that the raw water impellor has recently been is sucking more air than water due to screw loosening caused by engine vibration, causing overheating.

Once I receive a new raw water pump gasket ordered today, I will ensure all connections are air tight, and hopefully all will be well.

As Rick would say, stand by. :D