ST21 'Skinnydip' build, and boating adventures, Noosa, Australia

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: ST21 'Skinnydip' build, and boating adventures, Noosa, Australia

Post by Jaysen » Sun Sep 13, 2020 10:50 am

So the uneducated dingle bat has a question about the "fairing" you are doing. I'll lay out my assumptions then you can tell me how I'm wrong...

Assumptions:
1. The battens are all the exact same dimensions.
2. The battens are made of a synthetic material to ensure uniform bending.
3. The battens are not the final stringer that will permanently attach in those locations.

Questions:
Are you adjusting the frame notch/placement to ensure lines fair to a projection on paper?

Qualifying statement:
The method for the 580 uses the final stringer for "pre-planking" fairing. We have to fiddle with the frame notches a bit to get the stringers smoothly bend. Much of this seems to be to account for imperfections in the wood.

As always, your build is frustratingly beautiful.

Visit my official Class Globe 580 build blog at https://jaysenodell.com/globe-580
Currently starting a build of "Lil Bit More". A Class Mini 5.80
Class Mini 580 welcome post.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Jaysen wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm
I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack » Mon Sep 14, 2020 6:42 pm

Jaysen wrote:
Sun Sep 13, 2020 10:50 am
So the uneducated dingle bat has a question about the "fairing" you are doing. I'll lay out my assumptions then you can tell me how I'm wrong...

Assumptions:
1. The battens are all the exact same dimensions.
2. The battens are made of a synthetic material to ensure uniform bending.
3. The battens are not the final stringer that will permanently attach in those locations.

Questions:
Are you adjusting the frame notch/placement to ensure lines fair to a projection on paper?

Qualifying statement:
The method for the 580 uses the final stringer for "pre-planking" fairing. We have to fiddle with the frame notches a bit to get the stringers smoothly bend. Much of this seems to be to account for imperfections in the wood.

As always, your build is frustratingly beautiful.
The battens are hardwood dowell, and assumptions 1 and 3 are correct. I'm adjusting frame notches as necessary to achieve fair 3D batten lines.
Currently building Jacques Mertens ST21 "Skinnydip". Boating adventures: Splash testing and using 'Skinnydip, as a basis of further building refinement; Adams 44’ sailing sloop "Great Sandy" (cruising and maintaining); Iain Oughtred Feather Pram "Mini Dip" (building); Jacques Mertens R13 "Wood Duck" (built and due for maintenance).

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack » Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:26 am

I spent this afternoon creating a 1/6" thick MDF pattern for the bottom plank of Feather Pram. I thought it would be a quick job. Instead it turned out to be surprisingly time consuming.

While previous fairing of moulds with battens had refined planking edge lines, I learnt it had not refined the moulds for a smooth planking flow over them. Removal of 1/16" of parts of moulds here and there, using a sharpened spokeshave, was required.

Eventually, the MDF pattern of the bottom plank lay snugly over every mould in a fair arc. Deeply satisfying work. :D
Currently building Jacques Mertens ST21 "Skinnydip". Boating adventures: Splash testing and using 'Skinnydip, as a basis of further building refinement; Adams 44’ sailing sloop "Great Sandy" (cruising and maintaining); Iain Oughtred Feather Pram "Mini Dip" (building); Jacques Mertens R13 "Wood Duck" (built and due for maintenance).

cape man
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by cape man » Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:12 am

40lbs... 8)
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen » Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:35 am

Thanks GB. So the batten is just helping to adjust depth for a fair curve and the curve is to the plan. How thin are the planks?
Visit my official Class Globe 580 build blog at https://jaysenodell.com/globe-580
Currently starting a build of "Lil Bit More". A Class Mini 5.80
Class Mini 580 welcome post.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Jaysen wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm
I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:42 pm

Hi GB I been gone a while and had to go back a ways to catch up. "Skinn[ydip" turned out fine. Nice little pram you have going. Glad all is well in Noosa and you did not have the fires. Summer is coming up fast for you. Our leaves are beginning to change a beautiful site.in mountains where I live. I am sitting in our cabin on the Mississippi watching old man river flow by instead of at the house so have time to catch up on things. Take care and enjoy life.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack » Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:40 am

Thanks capeman, Jaysen and Tom. :D

And Tom, what a pleasure to hear from you. Great to hear that life id good for you in the mountains .Trust that No Excuses is fine and dandy too. :D

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz » Thu Sep 17, 2020 1:40 pm

I am following this build but have very little to say as this is all new to me. Thanks for putting on the master class for us dummys :D

BarraMan

Post by BarraMan » Sat Sep 19, 2020 12:54 am

Fuzz wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 1:40 pm
I am following this build but have very little to say as this is all new to me. Thanks for putting on the master class for us dummys :D
I'm with you, Mate! I have no idea what he is doing - but it looks great! :lol:

cape man

Post by cape man » Sat Sep 19, 2020 4:43 am

Did you get the 4mm okume?
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman