ST21 Hybrid Powered "SKINNYDIP" Noosa Australia

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: ST21 Hybrid Powered "SKINNYDIP" Noosa Australia

Post by glossieblack » Fri Oct 20, 2017 6:40 am

Thanks gents one and all for your generous responses to the rat rod test posting.

Have put in a big day today preparing the sailboat to get away cruising, and now feel stuffed beyond redemption

Will respond to your queries and comments tomorrow.

Completed R13 two part nesting rowboat. ST 21 under construction .... where seeking perfection is recognized as the enemy of the good.

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack » Sat Oct 21, 2017 4:12 am

Jaysen wrote:
Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:08 am
No apologies needed.

Are you using g8 bolts on the pulley?

From the sparky statements, do you have enough capacity for the inevitable cell death and "oops we've been here longer than expected"?

With the water line, are you counting humans forward as well?

Just my initial questions.
The pulley had three ¼” diameter bolts that pulled opposing tapered faces together in order to grip the shaft. I should have picked that they were lighter than the fixing bolts elsewhere in the drive train. The sparky is satisfied that he’s programmed the e-motor controller to progressively reduce power to, then shut down, the e-motor, if things like controller and/or motor temperature, voltage differences between cells, or overall voltage, move above or below programmed levels. The waterline was measured without anybody aboard.

cape man wrote:
Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:51 am
All in all you learned a lot! 10 kts on e-power is awesome! 9 hours is also awesome, especially if the regeneration works as designed. How fast do they predict you could get the battery banks back to full strength on a regeneration setting?

How much damage from the sheered bolts?
Don’t know regen time from depleted to full battery bank yet. From memory, the prediction is about three hours, but I'll check. The pulley will need to be replaced. The shaft is a little scratched, and will need to be wet sanded to avoid damaging the lip seals of the dripless seal when the shaft is being withdrawn for servicing.
BarraMan wrote:
Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:04 am
Congratulations Michael! Sounds like you are well on track for Skinnydip to meet all of your expectations.

Please forgive me for a little glimmer of refief that all did not go according to plan, but I look forward to driving the chase/camera boat for the real”splash” and sea trials in 2018, when I am confident that all outstanding issues will have been resolved.

I have four high resolution video cameras on the F’ing BIG Barra Boat to record the event for prosterity!

Best wishes

Lee
Really looking forward to Skinnydip being a movie star Lee! Let’s make a video of all boats participating in our Aussie builder’s meet next April, and show our north American friends how to document a builder’s meet. :wink:
topwater wrote:
Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:34 am
With a few modifications she should be spot on , nicely done :!:
:D
peter-curacao wrote:
Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:42 am
Thanks for the report it was a very good read 8) about the sprayrails are your sure they are necessary? Reason I ask is: my CS separates the water fantastically from the hull trowing it all far to the sides, but because of the never ending trade winds here it happens that the spray is blown back in, making a perfectly dry ride a wet ride again. You probably had a good look at it but since you were reporting 20+ knots wind I thought I should mention. 8)
Good question Peter. On reflection, spray was not an issue when we had the wind behind us. But our top speed was 8 knots. I’ll now reserve judgement on the need for spray rails to manage bow spray until we can test her under diesel power at WOT in a chop, but without a lot of wind.
pee wee wrote:
Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:25 am
Thanks for the narrative, this was a big day for all of us! I know you were anxious to get that testing done before you take off, glad you were able to get that done. :D
:D
fallguy1000 wrote:
Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:29 am
I enjoy Peter's comment about a wet dry ride. I can't tell you how many times in my little open boat I've been wet from wind spray. The boat can only do so much if it is open. period.
Point about wind borne bow spray taken.
jacquesmm wrote:
Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:10 am
Thanks for the report.
The propulsion system is very different from what most builders will use in that boat but the figures looks good.
Sorry about the mounting bolts failure but it's better for it to happen during this type of trial.
This type of rat rod trial has helped reduce the uncertainty that’s been building in my mind as I’ve progressively modified the propulsion system, and hence weight distribution.
MrPaul wrote:
Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:56 am
peter-curacao wrote:
Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:42 am
Thanks for the report it was a very good read 8) about the sprayrails are your sure they are necessary? Reason I ask is: my CS separates the water fantastically from the hull trowing it all far to the sides, but because of the never ending trade winds here it happens that the spray is blown back in, making a perfectly dry ride a wet ride again. You probably had a good look at it but since you were reporting 20+ knots wind I thought I should mention. 8)
Yup...I've been soaked in the cockpit of a 52 hatteras because of the wind. The cockpit was normally a very dry place but at cruising speed with a strong wind coming from the side the bow spray was blow into the cockpit. Great info gathered on the trial run. The e-motor numbers are fantastic. It will be interesting to see how she runs under diesel power when the e-motor mounts are replaced. Congrats!
Point taken about wind borne bow spray.
poleposition wrote:
Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:29 pm
Welp....I reckon one positive is that you may be able to test the theory of whether the spray rails can actually increase speed....

Congrats on the splash---given the craftsmanship displayed so far, I'm sure she will be fine-tuned in no time
Spray rails will go on if spray reaches the cockpit in still conditions but with a chop, or if the bow is burying at WOT and speed is being lost.
icelikkilinc wrote:
Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:53 pm
First of all, congratulations on a successful trial.
Electric drive has unbelievable torque from 0 rpm.
Glad you have planned the test and learned a lot.
The difference in low revs torque between the electric motor and the diesel motor surprised me.
TomW1 wrote:
Thu Oct 19, 2017 6:07 pm
Well done Glossie. You learned a lot today. Go up a couple strengths in strength of SS bolts. Our metals expert Eric should be able to help you.

Tom
Bigger bolts for sure, and probably a more hefty pulley too.
Completed R13 two part nesting rowboat. ST 21 under construction .... where seeking perfection is recognized as the enemy of the good.

cape man
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by cape man » Sat Oct 21, 2017 6:23 am

Have a blast on the cruise . As to documenting a builders meet, you and Lee should come next year to Florida and show us how... all though some things should not be documented...
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 » Sat Oct 21, 2017 1:33 pm

Now that the Rat Run is done, get on that beautiful sail boat with SHMBO and enjoy your self for a couple of months. Make sure you send photos like last year. I and I am sure everyone else enjoyed them.

Tom

t
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses.

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack » Sun Oct 22, 2017 5:57 am

Thanks for the cruising well-wishes Craig and Tom. :D

I'm very much feeling the need for a break.

I'm in awe of those who can keep on keeping on building from start to finish, without needing one. 8O

After all ,even the Cracker grabbed an occasional break. Or perhaps I'm rationalising ..... :?

gonandkarl
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by gonandkarl » Sun Oct 22, 2017 6:37 am

Hi,
You are not rationalising because at a certain ( our ) age one should enjoy everyday as a nice present and that is why I also booked the other day a 2 weeks stay in January at a sunny spot in Egypt at the Red Sea or as my wife always says your boat does not run away its still there tomorrow for You to work on it. Have some happy cruising time.
Greetings from Karl
All pictures of Micro Petrel AD14 and FS13 :

http://gallery.bateau2.com/index.php?cat=87433

reefie
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by reefie » Sun Oct 22, 2017 7:33 am

Congratulations Glossieblack on getting the "rat rod trails" completed before your cruise. I know it probably didn't quite go as planned, but I guess that's what the trail was all about. All-in-all a pretty minor technicality in the scheme of things.

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Fuzz » Sun Oct 22, 2017 1:37 pm

Congratulations on the rat rod testing, it did just what testing should do. Now go take that break and enjoy that beautiful boat and area. Taking a break is a good thing many times and you will return refreshed and ready. I know it works that way for me. And as has been said PLEASE post pictures of the trip when you can.

ahinkle
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by ahinkle » Sun Oct 22, 2017 6:14 pm

Congrats on the test GB! Glad you were able to sneak it in before your cruise. All the best on your trip!
Andrew

Building my first boat to be named Slow Motion, a.k.a. R13

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack » Wed Oct 25, 2017 3:56 pm

Thanks Karl, reefie, Fuzz and Andrew.

We slipped Great Sandy 's lines on Tuesday morning and had a pleasant run down to Moreton Bay, dropping the pick at Peel Island (first pic) just in time to enjoy a wonderful sunset. We're tucked up in Horseshoe Bay (second pic), sheltering from building northerlies.

It's so good to be back cruising again. :D