ST21 Hybrid Powered "SKINNYDIP" Noosa Australia

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: ST21 Hybrid Powered "SKINNYDIP" Noosa Australia

Post by Jaysen » Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:50 am

glossieblack wrote:
Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:19 am
Jaysen wrote:
Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:59 am
I've been told that I'll never learn AND that it appears I'll never grow up.
Yeah, there are those around who wouldn't know which end was theirs. :wink:
And, as married men over a "significant number of years" we only really ever learn one thing... "yes dear". Is yours ever wrong?

On a serious note... I've been instructed to
1. Plan a multi-week trip to "the land down under"
2. "Fine, plan for your boaty stuff too"
3. and "I want to see that dome thing"

You really only care about #2 :)

Do we have a hotel preference that will put us close to the Skinnydip and Barraboat launch points? Looking to start making a few reservations now, but it looks like there may be more than a few folks coming to witness the glory of the splash so I thought we'd coordinate some of this.

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack » Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:30 pm

Jaysen, it's wonderful news that you could be coming to the bateau2 builders meet in Oz next year.

Barra Man has suggested the last week in April or first week in May.

I suggest from lunch Tues May 1to lunch Thurs May 3, 2018, to avoid the crowds of April school holidays, and weekends.

The Sofitel Noosa Pacific is a wonderfully positioned hotel from which to enjoy Noosa on foot or by boat. If you prefer more budget accommodation, there is a good range of places along the Noosaville foreshore.

Let's make this meet happen! :D
Completed R13 two part nesting rowboat. ST 21 under construction .... where seeking perfection is recognized as the enemy of the good.

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack » Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:10 am

Robbie Burns noted that the best-laid plans of mice and men often go awry.

As mine did when the electrical engineer phoned me late this afternoon to advise he cannot connect up the e-drive subsystem this week, and that there's only a 50% chance he will get to it next week.

After sulking for a couple of hours, I've just poured myself a glass of red, decided to not get the shits, and toasted Robbie Burns. Tomorrow's a brand new day. :D
Completed R13 two part nesting rowboat. ST 21 under construction .... where seeking perfection is recognized as the enemy of the good.

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen » Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:53 am

Booo!

Let me see what we can come up with for that week. We will likely make if a full week there in Noosa. I'm thinking fly into Adelade and get a tour thing to that dome. Then hop over to Brisbane via air and a bus to Noosa. I'm not comfy driving (or voting) on the left so public transport it is. Hopefully that will keep costs down a bit.

I've marked your end of the trip as "committed" so everything else will shift to accommodate. Now we just need to go rob a bank...

cape man
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by cape man » Tue Sep 26, 2017 1:20 pm

As long as your looking for wisdom from Robbie Burns...

“There is no such uncertainty as a sure thing.”

I want to see her with the diesel at least before you take off with the breeze...
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack » Tue Sep 26, 2017 6:54 pm

Sounding very promising Jaysen!
cape man wrote:
Tue Sep 26, 2017 1:20 pm
I want to see her with the diesel at least before you take off with the breeze...
That's the contingency plan. :D

gonandkarl
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by gonandkarl » Wed Sep 27, 2017 2:44 am

Hi,
Yes why dont You try the diesel and show us more pictures of Your lovely boat. In Your case the delay is somebody elses fault which I cannot say for my build. Yesterday evening when I read your electrical engineer not showing up I celebrated my own slow progress also with some South African cabernet and then I felt much better that we will only really splash next spring.
Greetings from Karl
All pictures of Micro Petrel AD14 and FS13 :

http://gallery.bateau2.com/index.php?cat=87433

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack » Wed Sep 27, 2017 5:44 am

gonandkarl wrote:
Wed Sep 27, 2017 2:44 am
Yesterday evening when I read your electrical engineer not showing up I celebrated my own slow progress also with some South African cabernet and then I felt much better that we will only really splash next spring.
Karl, that's the way! As proud CLOOFs, we’re in the privileged position of knowing that making slow progress deserves its own reward, like a glass or two of good red. :lol:

This afternoon I went and collected the F-N-R and gear change control cables ordered a couple of weeks ago. They are now connected to the control unit, and ready to be connected to the diesel engine.

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack » Fri Sep 29, 2017 6:24 am

We’re in a holding pattern for the next three to four days, until it’s known if Skinnydip’s electrical drive subsystem will be ready for rat rod sea trials by the end of next week.

The iron laws of tidal highs and lows dictate that we must cross the Noosa River bar to go cruising in our sail boat at the seasonal daylight high tides that fall on October 8 or 9, or we will need to wait for a couple of months for the next chance.

The pic below shows what a challenge the Noosa bar is, even with the best tidal and sea state conditions.

So we’re now on board the sailboat and spending the next couple of days preparing for cruising, in order to free up a few days in a week or so to conduct last minute hybrid-drive Skinnydip rat rod tests, if the e-drive subsystem is ready, and conditions allow.

Otherwise, we’ll just rat rod test the diesel subsystem late next week, get over the Noosa bar if conditions allow, and go sailing until the New Year.

No matter what happens, you wouldn’t be dead for quids would you? :D

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen » Fri Sep 29, 2017 7:06 am

That's the main outlet? I guess you guys take the "keep it natural" seriously. Around these parts someone would have dredged that then conned the state into maintaining it as "needed for industry".

Enjoy the cruise.