ST21 Hybrid Powered "SKINNYDIP" Noosa Australia

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: ST21 Hybrid Powered "SKINNYDIP" Noosa Australia

Post by Jeff » Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:56 am

GB, the TM Rubrail is very nice and using the 50 I think will give you great protection!!! There is a film at TM of one of our Texas builders installing it but I think it was 30!! Great build!! Jeff

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack » Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:17 am

The positive spin is that the weather gods smiled on me today, sparing me from boat building labour. :wink:

The first two thirds of today were stinking hot, with the health police warning that CLOOFS like moi should lay low. I needed no persuading. I waited until late afternoon until the temperature was approaching the civilised, before venturing forth to the shed for an early evening build session.

I had been at it for about an hour, only to be thwarted by the child bride (who almost religiously follows weather warnings, an invaluable legacy of blue wter cruising), dictating that our cars be protected in the sacred inner sanctums of the boat building shed. A fast approaching severe hailstorm was bearing down on us, with hail the size of golf to tennis ball balls no less.

So boat building was abandoned, the cars stowed, and four hours later there is no hint of hail. :roll:

Enjoying a good book though.

Completed R13 two part nesting rowboat. ST 21 under construction .... where seeking perfection is recognized as the enemy of the good.

icelikkilinc
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by icelikkilinc » Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:47 am

I am sure you gotta a trailer tow for the boxster :lol: :lol:
nice wheels :wink:
Ilker

TW28 launch: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=23369

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen » Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:26 am

That empty spot right in the middle of the boat... can't wait to see the motor back in there.

It's a shame that very few of the folks that will see SkinnyD on the water will ever know how she came into existence. Have you thought about putting together some type of video about the decision making process and then building? Might be something for an educational/information site.

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack » Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:23 am

Thanks for the interest and amusing quips cape man, Jeff, Ilker and Jaysen. :D

The temperature had dropped to a civilised level when I awoke this morning, so today I finished re-profiling the rub rail bases for half round rubber Tessilmare R50 rub rails.

Then I spent the last couple hours of the afternoon experimenting with various ways of carrying the 15lb Manson Supreme anchor on the bow.

I've been avoiding this issue for too long, trying to by convince myself that it's practical to always stow the anchor in the forward locker when the boat is not at anchor. But off course on days when you're often dropping and retrieving the pick, the ability to stow the pick on the bow for a time makes life a lot easier.

I haven't been able to find an off-the-shelf bow roller that can house the Manson in manner that isn't visually bulky/clumsy, and which doesn't cost a motza.

So I'm considering building a simple timber & glass anchor sprit, with a forward split to house the Manson's high shank. Something like the mock-up below.

I'm hoping the strong horizontal line of the anchor sprit, by visually dissecting the high anchor shank, will reduce its bulk?

Completed R13 two part nesting rowboat. ST 21 under construction .... where seeking perfection is recognized as the enemy of the good.

cape man

Post by cape man » Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:27 am

I like that a lot. Simple and functional.
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen » Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:34 am

That seems nice. How will you tie the sprit to the deck though? It feels like it needs to be flush and not adding a vertical disruption to the deck.

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack » Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:47 am

Really appreciate the feedback on the anchor sprit cape man and Jaysen.

I further tested the sprit mock-up today to see how far it needed to cantilever beyond the bow to prevent a heavily swinging anchor, while being retrieved in a rolling sea, hitting the bow.

Turns out it's going to need to cantilever some 16" beyond the bow to the roller within the sprit. So the sprit itself becomes a strong visual statement.

Jaysen, I agree that the top of the sprit should be contiguous with the crown of the deck. And I think it's going to be possible to make it appear a visually compatible extension of the rub rail's profile.

Now I'm trying to figure out how to keep the connections between the anchor shank, wire or chain rode, and nylon rope warp as slim as possible. I want to keep the slit in the sprit not much wider than anchor's shank, to stop it rattling around when stowed through the sprit.

On previous boats, I've used shackles to make the connections, but their pins protrude too much for this application.

So I'm wondering if robust anchor shank-wire cable rode-nylon rope warp connections can be made using thimbles and wire or rope splices down the line?

cape man

Post by cape man » Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:17 am

I'll try and find a picture, but I've been on boats with a small cleat behind the sprit with a nylon cord attached. Run the cord through the shackle or a link in the chain, pull it tight and cleat it off. Pulls the anchor snug into the sprit.
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen » Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:56 am

Splices are the only way to make the shackles go away but they aren’t any smaller. Just smoother. The thimbles are pretty large when you think about it.

As I’m thinking about it, the chain will jamb in the split or slide off the sprit without some type of guide. A 1/4 circle would do but I think you’ll need to put something like aluminum or even rubrail in there to prevent it getting torn up.

Hope that makes sense.