ST21 Hybrid Powered "SKINNYDIP" Noosa Australia

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: ST21 Hybrid Powered "SKINNYDIP" Noosa Australia

Post by glossieblack » Fri Jun 15, 2018 3:49 am

Thanks Fuzz, cape man, Jeff and Reefie. As you note Reefie, with fuel, the fix is usually easy, once you've found the problem. :D

Completed R13 two part nesting rowboat. ST 21 under construction .... where seeking perfection is recognized as the enemy of the good.

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack » Fri Jun 15, 2018 4:48 am

OrangeQuest wrote:
Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:32 pm
I am guessing here, but the pre-engine filter is before the low pressure pump? If so the filter placement could be the cause and the smaller diameter hose is hiding the problem better. I was thinking this when you first stated there was a pre-engine filter. If the filter assembly is using a filter medium with a low micron number than it may need to be on the pressure side of the low pressure pump. The low pressure pump can't effectively pull enough fuel through the filter medium to supply the engine when under load or off idle. But when installed after the pump pressure will force more than enough fuel through the medium. Here is an article I found on it. http://fuelab.com/pre-and-post-pump-fue ... derations/
Hope I am wrong, OQ
Interesting hypothesis and article thanks OQ. The pre-engine filter is a coarse one. Over the years I've successfully used exactly the same type between fuel tank and engines between 18 and 40 hp. Skinnydip's donk is 20hp. I'm convinced the problem was air being sucked in between said filter and engine, caused by a faulty hose to barb connection at the engine end. Time will tell, once she's tested WOT.

Thanks again OQ for bending your brain to the problem I was facing. :D
Completed R13 two part nesting rowboat. ST 21 under construction .... where seeking perfection is recognized as the enemy of the good.

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest » Fri Jun 15, 2018 5:32 am

I was hoping I was wrong and it sounds like I am. If it is a coarse filter and sounds like been tested many times on other engines so I will go back to just watching. I blame it on my many years of diagnosing engine problems so I will go back to retirement. :D

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack » Fri Jun 15, 2018 6:45 am

This morning I laid down coat four of varnish on the coach house trims of Great Sandy.

This afternoon I started constructing lifting eyes at the aft quarter knees of Skinnydip.

When anti-fouling Skinnydip in the future, or when servicing her rudder and external drive chain, I want to be able to lift her using a block and tackle attached to her anchor sprit (first pic taken a few months ago) and a second block and tackle attached to a split bridle to lifting eyes at aft her quarter knees (second pic shows lifting eye starting to be constructed at aft starboard quarter).

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen » Fri Jun 15, 2018 7:20 am

What size are those eyes? Are they g8s?

I have some opinions on how one might want to go about this based on what I've seen in the back wood of east-jesus-nowhere Pennsylvania when we've tried to extract Jeeps from the depths of gullies. You seems to have everything well engineered so I don't want to throw ideas around and monkey up the plan if every things is already thought out and vetted.

BarraMan
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by BarraMan » Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:26 am

Michael, will SkinnyDip have a bow eye?

I lift my boat by running a circle cargo sling through the bow eye then up either side of the bow - then hooking each loop into the hook of an endless chain. Ditto for the heavy U-bolts either side of the transom.

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz » Fri Jun 15, 2018 2:27 pm

Watch out for eye bolts. They are made for in line lifting only. No side load allowed, none nada :!: The only exception is a shouldered eye bolt and they are still weak. If you are thinking of lifting the whole boat at some point I think I would just plan on using a nylon sling. No more than what that boat will weigh a sling to lift it will not cost very much at all.

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen » Fri Jun 15, 2018 3:15 pm

Fuzz wrote:
Fri Jun 15, 2018 2:27 pm
Watch out for eye bolts. They are made for in line lifting only. No side load allowed, none nada :!: The only exception is a shouldered eye bolt and they are still weak. If you are thinking of lifting the whole boat at some point I think I would just plan on using a nylon sling. No more than what that boat will weigh a sling to lift it will not cost very much at all.
That was kind of where I was heading... you can use a g8 eye, but even then... be careful. You'll also need to really beef up the backing and use a wide (think lots of threads) as you can. we typically went to 3/4 solid 1x1 that we tapped to match the bolt thread. That was welded to 3/8 thick 3x3 plate and put into the structure. Granted we were lifting jeeps, but you really don't want to drop SkinnyD... Something more reasonable than our crap but I think a bit more than the eye would be a good idea.

I like Fuzzy's idea of the sling. That's how they move the Great One isn't it?

BarraMan

Post by BarraMan » Fri Jun 15, 2018 7:54 pm

My bow eye is a very solid bit of metal - 3/8”(?). On my boat there are 27 layers of 12 oz biax tape/cloth where the bow eye U-bolt passes through the hull, which is built up to about 2” thick at that point. By running a cargo sling through the eye bolt, the load is spread across the bow with the bow eye not doing much more than holding the sling in place.

I have no hesitation lifting my boat using the bow eye and the similar U-bolts either side of the transom.

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack » Sat Jun 16, 2018 1:34 am

Thanks gents for your cautions on using lifting eye nuts. I hadn't done my homework sufficiently.

On checking the safe working loads based on 25% of breaking load, their use would have been borderline safe, which is not good enough. I've decided to use 3/8" 316 U-bolts, as Lee has done, which will provide the safe working load approximately four times over.
BarraMan wrote:
Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:26 am
Michael, will SkinnyDip have a bow eye? I lift my boat by running a circle cargo sling through the bow eye then up either side of the bow - then hooking each loop into the hook of an endless chain. Ditto for the heavy U-bolts either side of the transom.
Lee, the bow eye is the same size a 3/8"316 U-bolt that I'm now using at each of the aft quarter knees. Assuming that half the lifting load will be carried by the bow U- bolt, and 1/4 of the load by each of the aft U-bolts, then the bow one will provide the safe working load approximately twice over.