ST21 Hybrid Powered "SKINNYDIP" Noosa Australia

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Browndog
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: ST21 Hybrid Powered "SKINNYDIP" Noosa Australia

Post by Browndog » Wed Oct 16, 2019 8:36 pm

Good luck with your tests. Hope all goes well. You deserve success after building such a beautiful and unique boat.

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Fuzz » Wed Oct 16, 2019 9:50 pm

Jaysen wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2019 6:17 am
Dang it! I feel like I’ve just realized we are at the last chapter in a favorite novel!
I am feeling like Jaysen.
Hoping all goes well, you deserve it. No matter what we all hope you will do like CapeMan and keep this thread a living record.

BarraMan

Post by BarraMan » Wed Oct 16, 2019 10:44 pm

Fuzz wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2019 9:50 pm
Jaysen wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2019 6:17 am
Dang it! I feel like I’ve just realized we are at the last chapter in a favorite novel!
I am feeling like Jaysen.
Hoping all goes well, you deserve it. No matter what we all hope you will do like CapeMan and keep this thread a living record.
The thread might need a rename!

eg "SkinnyDip'ing with Glossie" !

I am sure that there are many adventures ahead for those two!

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack » Thu Oct 17, 2019 4:02 am

Wow! Many thanks for the well wishes gents. :D

The headline is that Skinnydip's new engine-trannie combo works like a dream. It's silky. :D :D :D :D :D

Today's rat rod tests were conducted in largish tidal flows and windy conditions that produced a short sharp slop when going to windward. Aboard, the two of us weighed around 400 pounds.

In such conditions and loading, the 10" diameter x 12" pitch prop appears to be a little over-pitched - at WOT, the engine flat lined at 2600 rpm. Running lone, my approx. 190 pounds allowed the engine to spin another couple of hundred rpms.

Two-up, rpm x speed in knots were measured up and down stream to average out tidal flow and wind impact.

Results were: 1000 rpm, av. 4.4 knots;1500 rpm, av. 6 knots; 2000 rpm, av. 7 knots; 2250 rpm, av. 8 knots; 2500 rpm, av. 8 knots; 2500 rpm, av. 9.6 knots; WOT 2600 rpm, 10 knots.

Tomorrow, it should be calmer conditions, and I'll measure with myself one-up.

Didn't get to detailed e-drive measurements - though we ran back home at a blissfully quiet 4 knots.

The first three pics were shot up river where the water is still murky after recent rains, the following were shot down near the mouth, where the water is clearer due to tidal flushing, and the last where I have anchored Skinnydip overnight on the pick and two stern shorelines.

Further testing and video shoots tomorrow.

Big and satisfying day. Thanks all for the support gents! :D

Last edited by glossieblack on Thu Oct 17, 2019 4:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Completed R13 two part nesting rowboat. ST 21 under construction .... where seeking perfection is recognized as the enemy of the good.

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest » Thu Oct 17, 2019 4:13 am

It is all good news. She looks perfect on the water.
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne

BarraMan

Post by BarraMan » Thu Oct 17, 2019 4:40 am

Beautiful boat Michael!

I know nothing about this stuff, but what do you expect that diesel’s happy spot rpm to be?

Diesel engines are slower reving than petrol 4 strokes - right? My Disco is only turning at 1600 rpm when towing the boat at 100 kph (60 mph)!

poleposition
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by poleposition » Thu Oct 17, 2019 6:14 am

Somewhat jokingly.......are you really sure you want to put oysters in that boat?

Congrats to you on a beautiful, interesting build and to Jacques on his design. I think it's safe to say that we all learned something on this project...
Last edited by poleposition on Thu Oct 17, 2019 11:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

cape man

Post by cape man » Thu Oct 17, 2019 7:49 am

Fantastic! She's also floating high above the scuppers! 10 knots is plenty fast as well. You have to be floating pretty high yourself right about now 8)
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff » Thu Oct 17, 2019 8:13 am

Congrats GB, all great news and results!!!! She looks great in the water!!!! Jeff

pee wee
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by pee wee » Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:05 am

Sweet looking boat, beautiful lines!

Your thread may have a lot of pages already, but Skinnydip is just starting the first chapter of her life, may she have a long and happy one. :D

Looking forward to seeing a picture of her with the proud papa at the helm. 8)
Hank