ST21 Hybrid Powered "SKINNYDIP" Noosa Australia

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
cape man
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: ST21 Hybrid Powered "SKINNYDIP" Noosa Australia

Post by cape man » Sat Mar 11, 2017 7:49 am

So my hat is off and my foot in my mouth. :oops:

The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack » Sat Mar 11, 2017 8:21 pm

Good hearing from you Karl, and Craig, it aint nothin but a thang. :lol:
Completed R13 two part nesting rowboat. ST 21 under construction .... where seeking perfection is recognized as the enemy of the good.

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack » Sun Mar 12, 2017 5:07 am

Making progress on the electric motor installation layout.

The motor sits within an engine box with the drive shaft protruding from its front. Drive pulleys connected by a belt sit on the electric motor shaft and on the main propeller shaft approximately 14” below.

The electric engine box sits on four flexible engine mounts, so as to reduce engine vibration being transmitted to the hull. The height of the motor on the mounts can be adjusted vertically to tension the belt.

Inspection hatches will be installed in the two openings of the locker sole shown in the picture below.

Completed R13 two part nesting rowboat. ST 21 under construction .... where seeking perfection is recognized as the enemy of the good.

Jaysen
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Jaysen » Sun Mar 12, 2017 11:27 am

Given the torsional loads, did you consider a metal backing plate glues and bolted to the ply?

Was ply chosen for weight/ease?

Is forced air through bottom and port side?

Sorry for the questions. Trying to make sure I understand the set up.

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack » Mon Mar 13, 2017 4:19 am

The electric motor has an inbuilt fan drawing air through its forward side and expelling through its rear side. I'm mounting the motor in the engine box in a way that forced cool air entering the engine box has to pass through the motor. This is being done by building an obstructing baffle, parallel with the front a rear faces of the box, which the cylindrical motor case passes snugly through. The baffle will be where the case is joined, as seen in the first picture below.

Forced cool air from a duct running below the sole of the rear locker enters a cut out in the forward section of the sole of the engine box, and exists through a vent cut into the rear face of the box. The second picture below shows the cut out in the locker sole.

Marine ply and fibreglass were chosen for the motor box because they were at hand.

willg
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by willg » Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:15 am

Your build is impressive in every way. Really, every step has been so thought out, clean and well done. I always look forward to your updates.

Jaysen
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Jaysen » Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:25 am

That makes a lot of sense. I'm really looking forward to seeing this come together.

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack » Tue Mar 14, 2017 2:54 am

Thanks for the kind words Will and Jaysen.

Could only squeeze in one and a half hour's boat building today, so temporarily fitted the electric motor into its box, and dry fitted the internal baffle and the vented back face as discussed yesterday. Also test fitted the engine mounts.

Aripeka Angler
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Aripeka Angler » Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:10 am

Fascinating build! I love this hull and your hybrid concept. Keep up the great work :D
Richard
Completed boats...XF20 "Red Alert", Aripeka Angler's Strip Canoe
Currently building...PY12 Kayak
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. - Loren Eiseley

cape man

Post by cape man » Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:55 am

Can't wait to see how all that connects together. Hard to tell the scale from the pics. How big is that electric motor? Looks small for such a big boat.
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman