ST21 Hybrid Powered "SKINNYDIP" Noosa Australia

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Heimfried
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: ST21 Hybrid Powered "SKINNYDIP" Noosa Australia

Post by Heimfried » Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:54 am

glossieblack wrote:
Wed Mar 15, 2017 5:55 pm

Hi Heimfried, When I asked for a quote for the components for the e-drive subsystem, I specified that the e-motor had to be able to handle the radial loads involved. Eco Boats Australia has guaranteed that the supplied motor can.
OK then.

glossieblack wrote:
It's interesting to learn that you are building an electric powered boat. What type of boat, and what type of motor and batteries are you using?
I twill be a katamaran house boat, L = 6.2 m (20.3'), B = 2.5 m (8.2'), weight of empty hull: 410 kg (904 lb). Probably a motor similar to yours:
Heinzmann PMG 132, http://www.heinzmann.com/en/electric-mo ... e/dc-motor
48 V LiFePO-Batteries (Pylontech), plus solar panels.

glossieblack wrote:
All the best for your project. :D
Thanks!

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack » Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:12 am

At last I've completed the rear locker sub sole work required to supply forced cool air to the e-motor engine box, and to house the engine beds to it.

Referring to the picture below, the rear locker sole is the raised area. The aft cut out in the sole is the opening from the forced cool air duct below the sole that will feed into the e=motor box above it. This forced cool air duct runs on the port side of the hull stringers from the bow of the boat through a series of acoustic baffles to the -e-motor box aft, and includes an in-line bilge blower to force cool air aft.

The forward cut out is the start of the one required for the drive belt connecting the main propeller drive shaft below the sole to the e-motor box sitting above it. The plenum below this belt cut out is isolated from the forced cool air duct just to its rear.

Completed R13 two part nesting rowboat. ST 21 under construction .... where seeking perfection is recognized as the enemy of the good.

Eric1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Eric1 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:44 am

Very Nice Work Glossieblack!

Jaysen
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Jaysen » Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:40 am

that thing will be amazing. The sound dampening will really set this build apart in the world of eboats. When I make a trip to AUS I'll have to see if I can come and take a spin out to the oysters on her.

I'd love to see a layout diagram. Any plans to make one?

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack » Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:45 pm

Glass taped the edges of the e-motor box inside and out as per Jacques' suggestion. It will need fairing and painting before it looks ship shape. Next step is to glass on the flanges to receive the engine mounts.

Thanks for the kind words Eric1. Jaysen, make it to Oz so I can take you for a spin in Skinnydip.

Completed R13 two part nesting rowboat. ST 21 under construction .... where seeking perfection is recognized as the enemy of the good.

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm » Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:24 pm

It certainly is a very compact motor.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://bateau.com

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack » Wed Mar 22, 2017 6:30 pm

Now that I've got the air cooling of the e-motor sorted, I'm turning my attention to the other electrical component that needs to be kept cool if the e-motor drive is to perform as efficiently as possible.

The motor controller is the computer brain of the system, and controls the electricity being feed to the motor. The second picture below shows the back of the controller, and is a heat dissipater. I intend mounting the controller in a box fed by forced cool air from the same ducting system as the e-motor, and in a way that the cool air can flow over the dissipater. The box will have a computer fan outlet to assist air expulsion.

Jaysen
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Jaysen » Wed Mar 22, 2017 6:53 pm

Does the manufacturer sell a cast heatsink that you could install? If not you might want to consider attachment of metal channels using thermal compound to assist with heat dissipation. The mosfets in there will get very hot. The manufacturer should have a dissipation guide or recommendation. Should talk about surface area and min airflow. You can always exceed the recommendations but not meeting them will drastically shorten the life of the controller.

I need to find a reason for a business trip to you part of the world.

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Fuzz » Wed Mar 22, 2017 8:59 pm

Jaysen wrote:
Wed Mar 22, 2017 6:53 pm

I need to find a reason for a business trip to you part of the world.
You will need a helper :!: Take, take me :D

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack » Thu Mar 23, 2017 2:38 am

Jaysen wrote:
Wed Mar 22, 2017 6:53 pm
.... you might want to consider attachment of metal channels using thermal compound to assist with heat dissipation. The mosfets in there will get very hot.
Thanks for the advice to attach heat dissipation fins.

This afternoon I purchased four recycled aluminium heat sinks and a tube of thermal compound from the local computer repair guy, all for ten bucks :D

Tomorrow I'll clean them up and adhere them.