ST21 Hybrid Powered "SKINNYDIP" Noosa Australia

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: ST21 Hybrid Powered "SKINNYDIP" Noosa Australia

Post by glossieblack » Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:45 pm

Spent the morning filleting in the stringers to which the beds for the e-motor mounts will be glued before glassing the lot (centreline of boat towards top of picture).

Also installed cleats to support the inspection hatches to the bilge housing the Aquadrive.

Looking forward to the day I can glue down the sole in this part of the boat, to hide all the mess! :oops:

Completed R13 two part nesting rowboat. ST 21 under construction .... where seeking perfection is recognized as the enemy of the good.

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Fuzz » Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:08 pm

Sorry but I do not see any mess that really needed to be covered up :doh:

I do agree it is a great day when the deck can be glued down. If for no other reason than it is wonderful to be able to walk around on a level surface. As we have come to expect from you things are looking really nice. :wink:

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen » Sat Mar 18, 2017 9:04 am

I'm with fuzz in this... can't find the mess. I'd be more than happy to fly over there and make a mess for you if needed. ;)

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack » Sun Mar 19, 2017 12:34 am

Glassed in the stringers that anchor the e-motor engine beds. Then glued them to the sides of the stringers. The beds will be glassed to the stringers next.

Completed R13 two part nesting rowboat. ST 21 under construction .... where seeking perfection is recognized as the enemy of the good.

Heimfried
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Heimfried » Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:54 am

glossieblack wrote:
Wed Mar 15, 2017 5:55 pm

Hi Heimfried, When I asked for a quote for the components for the e-drive subsystem, I specified that the e-motor had to be able to handle the radial loads involved. Eco Boats Australia has guaranteed that the supplied motor can.
OK then.

glossieblack wrote:
It's interesting to learn that you are building an electric powered boat. What type of boat, and what type of motor and batteries are you using?
I twill be a katamaran house boat, L = 6.2 m (20.3'), B = 2.5 m (8.2'), weight of empty hull: 410 kg (904 lb). Probably a motor similar to yours:
Heinzmann PMG 132, http://www.heinzmann.com/en/electric-mo ... e/dc-motor
48 V LiFePO-Batteries (Pylontech), plus solar panels.

glossieblack wrote:
All the best for your project. :D
Thanks!

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack » Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:12 am

At last I've completed the rear locker sub sole work required to supply forced cool air to the e-motor engine box, and to house the engine beds to it.

Referring to the picture below, the rear locker sole is the raised area. The aft cut out in the sole is the opening from the forced cool air duct below the sole that will feed into the e=motor box above it. This forced cool air duct runs on the port side of the hull stringers from the bow of the boat through a series of acoustic baffles to the -e-motor box aft, and includes an in-line bilge blower to force cool air aft.

The forward cut out is the start of the one required for the drive belt connecting the main propeller drive shaft below the sole to the e-motor box sitting above it. The plenum below this belt cut out is isolated from the forced cool air duct just to its rear.

Eric1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Eric1 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:44 am

Very Nice Work Glossieblack!

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen » Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:40 am

that thing will be amazing. The sound dampening will really set this build apart in the world of eboats. When I make a trip to AUS I'll have to see if I can come and take a spin out to the oysters on her.

I'd love to see a layout diagram. Any plans to make one?

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack » Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:45 pm

Glass taped the edges of the e-motor box inside and out as per Jacques' suggestion. It will need fairing and painting before it looks ship shape. Next step is to glass on the flanges to receive the engine mounts.

Thanks for the kind words Eric1. Jaysen, make it to Oz so I can take you for a spin in Skinnydip.

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm » Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:24 pm

It certainly is a very compact motor.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://bateau.com