XF20 Mod Flats/Flounder rig build

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: XF20 Mod Flats/Flounder rig build

Post by Jeff » Sun Jul 24, 2016 11:55 am

Your XF20 is really coming together nicely!! Please keep the updates and photos coming!!

jorgepease
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by jorgepease » Sun Jul 24, 2016 12:19 pm

Mine doesn't have any battens but my jig did and it was a real pain fussing with dimensioned lumber, use ply if you can.

puppydrumn
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by puppydrumn » Sun Jul 24, 2016 1:31 pm

Thanks all,

Boat is going to be a beast and the way it's built I would assume it will take much more pounding than I will lol.

I have a table and miter saw so I think I will give pine a try. There is a lumber yard here that has some very clear lumber with little to no knots.

The tape of the frames is outrageous (three layers of biax on each joint). That's 36 lay ups per frame. I hope I understood jacques correct.
Capt. TW

puppydrumn
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by puppydrumn » Fri Jul 29, 2016 9:01 pm

Well the boat is tough for sure, 80 + mph winds couple nights ago, boat got slammed into 8x8's and not so much as a dent. got her back straight on the strong back strapped down :D will post up in a few days. Dam glad I had the framing in. 8O
Capt. TW

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm » Sat Jul 30, 2016 9:43 am

puppydrumn wrote:Thanks all,

Boat is going to be a beast and the way it's built I would assume it will take much more pounding than I will lol.

I have a table and miter saw so I think I will give pine a try. There is a lumber yard here that has some very clear lumber with little to no knots.

The tape of the frames is outrageous (three layers of biax on each joint). That's 36 lay ups per frame. I hope I understood jacques correct.
Yes, it is a lot. For a standard boat, I would specify only one layer but your boat is special. You know how you will use the boat. If you don't expect any excessive banging against docks, you can stay with one layer.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://bateau.com

puppydrumn
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by puppydrumn » Sat Jul 30, 2016 7:34 pm

No worries Jacques,

No problem with the way you suggested just wanted to make sure earlier on. Only one frame left to tape and then I guess it will be time to figure out rigging. I will defiantly need some help from you on that.

I.e. Pipe size, location, how many.

Lol need more tape and epoxy.

Thanks
Capt. TW

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff » Sat Jul 30, 2016 9:23 pm

Sounds like good progress!!! Jeff

puppydrumn
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by puppydrumn » Tue Aug 09, 2016 11:22 pm

Thought I would check in and post up what has been going on.

Not much pictures as I have spent a lot of time with paper and pen staring at the boat. Measure draw measure and draw again. Finally settled on a layout for the deck so now I am trying to shop for hatches as I am no way qualified to build them any suggestions on what's works for you guys would be great.

decided to go with above deck live well and will be mounted directly behind lean post, reason being for my sanity is that if I ever had a problem it would be an easy fix.

Framing has started for the decking, main chase tube (decide on 4") with sweeps. So there has been a lot of ink flying I guess it's all part of it. Wood flour showed up so I guess it's time to start gluing all the sticks together (cleats) will post pics soon.
Capt. TW

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm » Wed Aug 10, 2016 10:38 am

Good decision about the livewell. Those things are impossible to clean and drain properly in a shallow boat if below the deck.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://bateau.com

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff » Wed Aug 10, 2016 1:05 pm

I fully agree on the live-well be external and mobile as most production boats require cutting into the fiberglass to even work on live-wells!! Jeff