XF20 Mod Flats/Flounder rig build

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
majorgator
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: XF20 Mod Flats/Flounder rig build

Post by majorgator » Wed Aug 10, 2016 5:51 pm

It may not be real easy to see in this picture, but I put the livewell flush/below the rear deck. Its the oval-shaped hole in the middle with the blue paint. It holds about 13 or 14 gallons I think. The only reason I bring it up is because it sits on top of the stringers with a little bit of slope to the drain. When the boat is in the water, it'll drain out with nothing more than a skim layer left behind. Not enough for a minnow to survive.

I have an overflow at the top which is piped to exit out the transom. Its a 1" or 1 1/4" drain, whereas it should have been a 2". To compensate, I use an overflow tube that's shoved down in the bottom drain hole. I use this livewell almost every time I use the boat.

I put lots of tape in the corners/seams and 2 layers of cloth on the sides. Its been 5 years since I splashed her, and I beat the crap out of her A LOT, yet the livewell does not leak.

I considered a livewell above the deck, but I just couldn't find a location to put it that would satisfy me. That area behind the rear bulkhead was wasted space on my boat, so I put it there and couldn't be happier.

On the hatches, if you're not going to build them then spend the money to get good ones. I spent a lot of money on mine, but they don't leak under normal operation. In a downpour, they will seep a little around the seals but not enough to bother me. Regarding money for the boat-build, every time I cut a corner and did something to save money or bought something less expensive, it never turned out good. It took me near the end of my build before I realized this. It was about the time I chose to use Sterling in lieu of the S3.

Saved by the Blood of Jesus!
See my XF20 Build Thread

Mikem59
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Mikem59 » Wed Aug 17, 2016 8:46 pm

On the hatches, if you're not going to build them then spend the money to get good ones. I spent a lot of money on mine, but they don't leak under normal operation. In a downpour, they will seep a little around the seals but not enough to bother me. Regarding money for the boat-build, every time I cut a corner and did something to save money or bought something less expensive, it never turned out good. It took me near the end of my build before I realized this. It was about the time I chose to use Sterling in lieu of the S3.
I've opted for a donated hatch and then most likely a TH Marine hatch for access to the compartment where the fuel tank is between my frames B & C. What hatches did you purchase?

And, your comment on paint, so you used Sterling paint? And, what is the key difference? I hope to be purchasing paint in the near future (for me that's probably 2 or 3 months :lol: ) I was leaning towards the S3 for the Vauchon Gray.

stickystuff
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by stickystuff » Thu Aug 18, 2016 5:35 am

Did you end up with I think they are called, Bomar hatches? They are pretty decent from my experience. :doh:
Capt. Ken Owens

A little saw dust, a little glu

puppydrumn
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by puppydrumn » Sun Feb 12, 2017 10:42 pm

Well Duck season is over and time to get back at it, gonna have two boats going at once...Ordered our Son a SK14 so here we go.. 8O Hope all had a good winter, looking forward to some sunshine.

Did not touch the boat all winter as I did not have time, up at 4:30 am and to bed at 11:00 pm makes for a long day... Worked on cleaning out boat today, it became a catch-all this winter. I did get some battens glued in today, will post up some pics on were i am at soon.
Capt. TW

MrPaul
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by MrPaul » Tue Feb 14, 2017 12:42 am

Thought you had ditched the thread and finished the boat without us. Looking forward to seeing some pics soon.

puppydrumn
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by puppydrumn » Wed Feb 15, 2017 7:31 pm

Not a chance... Fighting with this little monster SK14
Capt. TW

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm » Wed Feb 15, 2017 8:05 pm

Glad to see you back on that project. It will be a very special boat.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://bateau.com

puppydrumn
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by puppydrumn » Wed Feb 15, 2017 8:10 pm

Yes sir it is, not much to post but a lot of cutting and glue cleats for decking, lol a man can only own so many clamps... while your here I posted up pics for the SK14 build, having some issues with frames fitting help would be great. Glad to be back to building (I think) :D
Capt. TW

puppydrumn
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by puppydrumn » Wed Feb 15, 2017 8:11 pm

Mr. Paul, hows your boat coming??
Capt. TW

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin