K2FS18

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Eric1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: K2FS18

Post by Eric1 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 5:47 am

Paint looks great! I too planned to roll and tip but the paint directions say to just roll it. That really layed down nice. :)

K2FS18
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by K2FS18 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:12 pm

The beginnings of the trailer. Picked up the metal today. All the other "stuff" got delivered early in the week. Plan to start welding middle of next week.

Ordered the motor today as well. About a week or so out. Sooner than I need, but they where having a special of 200 bucks off or 2 years extra warranty. Took the 2 years. I figure the extra $200 would not be enough to fix jack in years 4 and 5.

Boat inspection is scheduled for April 14th. GW doesn't make house calls anymore in my area. I have to drag it to TPWD.

Ha, I just looked at the photo. The iPhone has no depth. No wonder the skiff looks smaller than it is. That is a 16' trailer. The 3" "C" channel are 20' long.

Mikem59
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Mikem59 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:17 pm

You're getting down to the wire. I haven't called TPWD yet, but will make that call soon to see what they do over here in the Beaumont,TX area. I believe they make "house calls" over here. And, I stopped in a McClain Trailers on Monday and placed my order for my trailer. That helps to set my deadline, basically, 5 weeks on the trailer.

Maybe we'll be baptizing our boats at about the same time.

K2FS18
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by K2FS18 » Fri Mar 31, 2017 10:14 am

It' a start! Just a few more items to weld on and then to paint.

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff » Fri Mar 31, 2017 11:13 am

Really nice start!!! Jeff

Dougster
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dougster » Fri Mar 31, 2017 2:58 pm

TPWD just made a house call here in Blanco to inspect my SK14, so if you haven't called it's worth check out. It was no problem, he didn't even look at the receipts.

Dougster

cape man
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by cape man » Fri Mar 31, 2017 3:21 pm

Trailer looks great!
Will also be painting the rub rail and front thing black.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Thought it was just me that is challenged by Nauticalese! Yeah that...that front thing. :lol: No, no, no...not that front thing, the other one, the one close to the front. :lol:
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

gonandkarl
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by gonandkarl » Sat Apr 01, 2017 5:59 am

The trailer looks good and I am sure You will splash soon. I appreciate the discussion how much the whole lot weighs. Thank You Jacques for the detailed picture guide to weigh trailer and boat with a bathroom scale. I will do it Your way instead of towing 20 km to the nearest scale.
All pictures of Micro Petrel AD14 and FS13 :

http://gallery.bateau2.com/index.php?cat=87433

K2FS18
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by K2FS18 » Sat Apr 01, 2017 6:48 pm

Took her for a test spin today.

Not totally crazy about the axle-less suspension system I used. With me standing on the rear of the trailer, it seems I can almost fully compress. Also, there is a lot of flex in the frame, wasn't expecting that either. This kinda goes back to my early post about finding balance points. Never could figure that out so I just moved on and built. Not sure what the load will be on the axles. Maybe they are too light, 1200#, at that forward location. It seems if they are moved back, less weight will be on them. Also, with the design of these axles, the mounting points are forward of the spindles by about 12", thus making that distance from rear of trailer to mounting point further.

K2FS18
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by K2FS18 » Sun Apr 02, 2017 9:52 pm

Got the final coat (3rd) of paint down on the skiff. I will give it a couple of days then tape off the areas for the grip paint and black rub rails.

Also fabricated the trailer light brackets and fender brackets, now just need to weld some seams then these will bolt on. Trailer should be ready to go to the sheriff inspection for their Wednesday inspections (minus paint).

Next up, mill the push pole holders and add bungies to the rod holders.

I am liking the longer daylight.