K2FS18

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
K2FS18
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: K2FS18

Post by K2FS18 » Sun Feb 26, 2017 4:09 pm

Dougster wrote:
Sat Feb 25, 2017 9:07 am
Beautiful work K2, you've obviously thought things out well. Way better than I could. Ditto to Jeff's comment on the electrical system. I see you're in Central Tx. I'm in Blanco, the hill country, maybe just a bit south of you? Hope you can bring that beauty to the Port A boatshow this Oct. I'll be there, the big guy willin' and the creeks don't rise :wink:

Dougster
Dougster, tell me more about the boat show in Port A during Oct.

K2FS18
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by K2FS18 » Sun Feb 26, 2017 4:23 pm

Trailer

This is not as straight forward either. An aluminum trailer runs around 3k. If I build an aluminum trailer, it is not saving much because of the full lengths of material I have to purchase. So, it looks like I may be going the route of building a steel trailer.

I have talked to a local trailer manufacture to get some input. They don't recommend torsion axles due to the skiff/trailer being to light. Their experience is that the lightest torsion axle that is any good (2200#) beats up the boat during travel. Suggested going with a springer so the load can be adjusted with the leafs. OK. I will need to adjust my design to maintain the dry launch/load capability.

I plan on using 3" "C" channel for the frame and 2x2 tube for the cross members. I will post up a drawing soon. I have never welded before, but I have help to learn. I can use both or either stick and mig.

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen » Sun Feb 26, 2017 4:33 pm

Go MIG. Easier to do right as a novice. Especially with clean metal and above water.

Just remember that you can fill holes you burn with molten metal just like filling holes in the hull with epoxy.

Dougster
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dougster » Mon Feb 27, 2017 9:42 am

K2, here's a link to last year's meet. I can't find any reference yet to this year. I know they intended to have one but maybe something happened. I'll stay tuned. It substituted for a Tx Bateau builders meet. Jacques came and gave some presentations while hanging out and talking boats all day. It was my third one and really fun so I hope it'll happen again. BTW, I sure admire you being up for learning to weld and build a trailer. I just bought one :oops:

http://www.portaransasplywoodenboatfestival.org/

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm » Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:17 am

We did not go this year because of a hurricane: we canceled our flights and hotels at the last minute in order to secure our homes and business.
There was some damage.
We plan to try again next year.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://bateau.com

Newt
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Newt » Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:00 pm

The Festival dates for 2017 are October 20-22, 2017.

Newt
ALLIGATOR LAKE

K2FS18
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by K2FS18 » Tue Feb 28, 2017 9:21 pm

I should be able to button up all the little items under the decks by the end of the week and most likely get the decks glued down by the end of the weekend. I have several mods and need to fab a plate for the hatch, that may slow things down.

Looking like I may finish by the end of March. Need that motor and trailer sooooooon.

cape man
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by cape man » Wed Mar 01, 2017 6:35 am

Peterson trailers in Riverview Florida built an aluminum trailer for my OD18 with a torsion axle for $1800. He was shipping to Australia at one point so getting it to Texas shouldn't be a big deal. $3000 seems way too much. I will never go back to steel. Rebuilt the old trailer 3 times over the 10 years I owned it.
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 » Wed Mar 01, 2017 12:07 pm

There is a builder in Texas that some of the guys have used, can't remember the name but hopefully some one will see this and give you the info.

Or you can start a separate post like Trailer Needed:
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses.

Dutch1
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Dutch1 » Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:54 pm

Can you post a few more pics of what you did behind station B? I can't see cutting out a foot of deck either and I'm toying around with how I can use that space. The boat looks great!