Build Progress - Panga 25

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Build Progress - Panga 25

Post by jacquesmm » Mon Dec 26, 2016 5:14 pm

I would wait for the resin to cure, grind them down and over it with a new layer of tape.
Grinding is fast, give it a larger radius, 1/2" or more: less risk of air bubbles.
It's a 25's boat, an extra layer of tape is not going to hurt.

Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://bateau.com

subbie95
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by subbie95 » Tue Dec 27, 2016 8:09 am

Just to clarify:

1. Grind down just the areas with the bubbles, putty them and cover those areas with another layer of tape....

OR

2. Grind down all the seams, create the radius and reapply two layers of new tape?

I just don't want to do needless extra work.

Thanks.

subbie95
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by subbie95 » Fri Dec 30, 2016 8:05 am

I'm grinding out the bubbles (the big ones at least), it provided a great excuse to buy a shiny new cordless angle grinder! I love my Makita brushless tool set, and this boat has lead to it's expansion considerably (a nice byproduct). I'm going to fill those areas with putty and apply a third layer of tape over the largest spots. This should be strong enough considering it still gets the wide fabric and the 10oz woven that I plan to finish with, just to get that extra tough hull (and because I bought it by mistake and it was far too expensive to return). I'm also going to cover every surface of the interior in the 10oz woven (except the interior side of the hull, that will get biax as specified).

Looking ahead, any feedback on the following:

1. Thoughts on doing the entire boat in Monstaliner? I'm hard on my stuff, and this product looks shiny and nice from a few feet away but should hold up well to the frequent beaching I do on sand/gravel in the northern Great Lakes.
a. I know from reading ton's of this forum that several guys have done this, I've reached out to some of them via PM to get their feedback as well.
2. Thoughts on installing a 115hp tiller motor? I like the Big Tiller's from Mercury with the hydro steering, I'm just not sure the tiller will be long enough on the Panga 25. This would also greatly cut down on the systems that need to be installed (although I'd still run all the conduits to the Console locations, just in case I change it in the future).

Between these two options I think it would cut numerous hours out of the build. The Monstaliner should cut down on the fairing considerably.

Love to hear the thoughts of those who've forgotten more about building a boat than I'll ever know!

subbie95
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by subbie95 » Tue Jun 13, 2017 12:42 pm

Haven't posted in a while but we've been making progress, slow but sure. The outside is glassed, the keel is on and glassed, the spray rails are spot welded on, just need to finish the filleting after more wood flour arrives today. Then it's on to fairing and painting the bottom....which leads to this post. I'm looking for opinions on paint, since the Stirling isn't currently available.

Awlgrip vs Interlux Perfection....does anyone have direct experience to provide real world pros and cons? I will be rolling and tipping. Easy of use, durability, etc.

PS - I'll get some progress photos up this weekend.

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 » Fri Jun 16, 2017 10:33 pm

Check the store here(Boat Building Supplies). They carry both Awlgrip and EMC paints. Lots of the guys have gone with the EMC paint. Check it out.
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses.

BarraMan
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by BarraMan » Sat Jun 17, 2017 12:28 am

Awlgrip vs Interlux Perfection....does anyone have direct experience to provide real world pros and cons? I will be rolling and tipping. Easy of use, durability, etc.
I can't offer any experience with Awlgrip but as a total novice I rolled and tipped my boat with Interlux Perfection. I am very happy with the finish and many have commented on it. Easy to work with and appears to be quite durable.

subbie95
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by subbie95 » Sat Jun 17, 2017 2:40 pm

Thanks for the feedback BarraMan, that's the kind of info I was looking for. From everything I've read, the Awlgrip appears to be slightly more durable but it's not repairable. I think for the cost, I'll go with the Perfection. It looks like it's a little simpler to mix/apply, and I've read a ton of great reviews on it. I've even read of several folks who've applied it without tipping at all and achieved great results (some of those did back roll it with a fresh roller instead of tipping with a brush). I'm going to use that on the bottom, but I may still use Awlgrip on the sides because I like some of the colors it offers more than what the Perfection comes in. As a note, my plan is to use Monstaliner from the rub rail throughout the interior. It's tough as nails, should save me a bunch of hours fairing the inside, and comes in several "off white" colors that should be pretty close to the Perfection color I'm going to use (Oyster White).

I'm lucky enough to get to spend my whole weekend at work, so the progress photos will have to wait until sometime next week.

Browndog
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Browndog » Sat Jun 17, 2017 4:24 pm

This week I am painting the FS 19 that I'm building for my Brother with Awlgrip in their Aquamist color after 4 coats of Silvertip Yacht Primer. I'm using 4 inch foam rollers and 2 inch brushes to tip it off to break the very small bubbles on the surface that the roller leaves behind. The key is to use their Awlcat #3 Brush Converter and then also use their Brush Reducer. The mix is 2 parts color base to 1 part Converter and then reduce by 10-33% with the Brush Reducer. I've been mixing 6 oz. of Color Base, 3 oz. of Converter and 2 oz. of Reducer. That amount allows me to coat both sides and the transom with little to no waste. I bought a Gallon of the color base, but in reality I will use only about 2 Quarts for 5 - 6 coats. Most likely I will use the remainder to paint the inside of the hatches on the boat

Dutch1
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Dutch1 » Sun Jun 18, 2017 4:27 pm

Browndog wrote:
Sat Jun 17, 2017 4:24 pm
This week I am painting the FS 19 that I'm building for my Brother with Awlgrip in their Aquamist color after 4 coats of Silvertip Yacht Primer. I'm using 4 inch foam rollers and 2 inch brushes to tip it off to break the very small bubbles on the surface that the roller leaves behind. The key is to use their Awlcat #3 Brush Converter and then also use their Brush Reducer. The mix is 2 parts color base to 1 part Converter and then reduce by 10-33% with the Brush Reducer. I've been mixing 6 oz. of Color Base, 3 oz. of Converter and 2 oz. of Reducer. That amount allows me to coat both sides and the transom with little to no waste. I bought a Gallon of the color base, but in reality I will use only about 2 Quarts for 5 - 6 coats. Most likely I will use the remainder to paint the inside of the hatches on the boat
Thank you for posting this. Good info to have!

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff » Sun Jun 18, 2017 5:00 pm

Excellent Awlgrip painting information Browndog!! Jeff