Bruce Crandall Flyer Hydroplane

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
peter-curacao
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: Bruce Crandall Flyer Hydroplane

Post by peter-curacao » Sat Feb 22, 2020 8:13 pm

Rickk wrote:
Sat Feb 22, 2020 7:01 pm
In the original MC frame it was liquid cooled - any thoughts to how you're going to keep it cool? Ought to be bad ass though - 115hp.
Gonna try and use a heat exchanger with a separate raw water pump, that's the whole reason I choose this engine, well that and the sound 8)

peter-curacao

Post by peter-curacao » Sun Feb 23, 2020 2:56 pm

Start port side

For those who missed the start 3 years ago and/or are interested, here's a "short" video

Larry B
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Larry B » Mon Feb 24, 2020 7:35 am

peter-curacao wrote:
Sat Feb 22, 2020 12:33 pm
Larry I bought this package last week, Engine, Gas Fuel Injector Injectors, Gas Fuel Injector Rail 27662-01, Gas Fuel Injector Wire Wiring Harness, Exhaust Muffler Header Pipe, Front Exhaust Muffler Header Pipe, ECU ECM Computer Control Module 32544-01, Main Wiring Wire Harness Loom.
It all came from the same running 2002 Harley Davidson VROD with low miles, this was not a wrecked or salvaged bike
According to the seller only thing missing in this package is the throttle body, he sold that a week earlier and I have to source it from an other seller.
He told me I should be able to put all this together to a running package, no clue where to start, a shop manual would come in handy :doh: .

[/quote]

Peter, I would get a 2002 V-ROD Official Factory Service Manual. There will be a lot of information that you don't need about the bike itself but it will have lot's of info on the motor and the electrical system. IMO, get only the H-D Oem Manual.
This motor in your boat should be really cool, looking forward to seeing it.
Completed: FL14, OD18

peter-curacao

Post by peter-curacao » Mon Feb 24, 2020 8:44 am

Larry B wrote:
Mon Feb 24, 2020 7:35 am

Peter, I would get a 2002 V-ROD Official Factory Service Manual.
Yes i already bought the download version of that, manual says 2003 but selling ad said:
2002 to 2006 Harley-Davidson VRSCA V-Rod Full Service Manual Instant Digital Download,
So I hope it will be the right one

pee wee
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by pee wee » Mon Feb 24, 2020 9:11 am

Stupendous job on the video, Peter! Really shows the good, the bad and the ugly, (but you can't really see that last one). You're farther along than I thought you were, despite the two helpers you've got that don't seem to do much but lie around. :P

Love the . . more fairing . . more fairing . . . more fairing!
Hank

Larry B
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Larry B » Mon Feb 24, 2020 9:29 am

Peter, that should work. That is gonna be one cool ass boat :D
Completed: FL14, OD18

peter-curacao

Post by peter-curacao » Tue Mar 03, 2020 7:15 pm

Gluing one strip a day is like watching paint dry 8O So started to construct a breast hook from stainless to keep me busy, I don't think the way I constructed her (the boat) that she needs it in a structural way, but to stay in correct time I did it anyway, besides of that i think it looks cool.
Took me lots of try's so be nice, first 2 fails I forgot I needed to switch polarity's when using Argon,third fail the material was to thin so I was burning holes all over, fourth attempt I went to 2 mm stainless what did the trick, still have to start over sanding the sucker, because after polishing I still see deep sanding marks :help:

Sorry uploading and rotating/cropping pics is still a bitch in this coppermine forum album :oops:

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack » Wed Mar 04, 2020 9:45 am

peter-curacao wrote:
Sat Feb 22, 2020 8:13 pm
Gonna try and use a heat exchanger with a separate raw water pump, that's the whole reason I choose this engine, well that and the sound 8)
Very nice engine choice Peter. Will sound da goods.

Given its drive output geometry, it will be interesting to see how you resolve the transmission, thrust bearing, and drive chain challenges.

Rum Runner is going to be one very interesting boat. Go Peter! :D
Currently building Jacques Mertens ST21 "Skinnydip". Boating adventures: Splash testing and using 'Skinnydip, as a basis of further building refinement; Adams 44’ sailing sloop "Great Sandy" (cruising and maintaining); Iain Oughtred Feather Pram "Mini Dip" (building); Jacques Mertens R13 "Wood Duck" (built and due for maintenance).

piperdown
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by piperdown » Wed Mar 04, 2020 10:56 am

No criticism here! What you're doing with the stainless steel is way beyond what I could do :help:

Looking great and I think the breast hook looks killer on there!! :D
Eric (aka, piperdown)

"Give an Irishman lager for a month and he's a dead man. An Irishman's stomach is lined with copper, and the beer corrodes it. But whiskey polishes the copper and is the saving of him." --> Mark Twain

Dougster
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dougster » Wed Mar 04, 2020 11:05 am

Agree on breast hook. I'm amazed at all of your skills.

Shaking his head Dougster