Bruce Crandall Flyer Hydroplane

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
blueflood
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: Bruce Crandall Flyer Hydroplane

Post by blueflood » Sun Oct 23, 2016 10:24 am

Way cool Peter 8)
Reminds me of these :D

Marc

blueflood
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by blueflood » Sun Oct 23, 2016 10:27 am

justin_dwyer wrote:Looking good Peter, will be an interesting build.

At the moment it looks like a whale skeleton like you'd see in a museum :lol:
The Petersaurus Rex :lol: :D

Marc

MrPaul
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by MrPaul » Mon Oct 24, 2016 10:57 pm

Peter, don't mean to get off the subject but I see your build video on YouTube is labeled cs25+3. Did you stretch it 3 feet? I'm interested in a cs for my next build after the xf20 I'm currently building but would rather build a 28 ft boat. The 110 gal fuel capacity on the 25 is just not enough for the Texas coast and its gotta have twins. A 28 ft boat could hold the extra fuel for long runs off shore.

BTW. This one looks like it's coming along great! You build a lot faster than I do.

bateau-webmaster

Post by bateau-webmaster » Tue Oct 25, 2016 9:59 am

Can't wait to see this one come together!

peter-curacao
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by peter-curacao » Tue Oct 25, 2016 5:39 pm

glossieblack wrote:Peter, I’ve had to learn my way through the choice maze for a 1:1 gearbox/transmission .................Hope this is of some help. :D
Thx Glossieblack this helps a lot, the intention is not to reinvent the wheel and stay with marine grade stuff only
Cracker Larry wrote:Looks great! And what Craig said, you are moving fast! Not building on island time :lol:
Thx Craig and Larry, yes Larry that Dutch mentality keeps following me :D but the start of a build always moves along quickly.
blueflood wrote:Way cool Peter 8)
Reminds me of these :D

Very cool pic Marc, Stylish car also
blueflood wrote: The Petersaurus Rex :lol: :D
Marc
That's funny :lol: :lol:
MrPaul wrote:Peter, don't mean to get off the subject but I see your build video on YouTube is labeled cs25+3. Did you stretch it 3 feet? I'm interested in a cs for my next build after the xf20 I'm currently building but would rather build a 28 ft boat. The 110 gal fuel capacity on the 25 is just not enough for the Texas coast and its gotta have twins. A 28 ft boat could hold the extra fuel for long runs off shore.

BTW. This one looks like it's coming along great! You build a lot faster than I do.
No worries, no I didn't stretch it, the 3" is the bracket/swim platform size, some or maybe all manufactures even include the anchor pulpit in the overall length, I don't think that's fair, that's why I labeled it 25+3 instead of 28. About fuel consumption I can troll a whole (long) day not even using 1 full thank (58 gallon) Don't know if by law you need 2 OB'S but if not I would go with a single and a kicker.
bateau-webmaster wrote:Can't wait to see this one come together!
Well here you have some more pics :P

Frames filleted and tabbed to the inner stringers, not the best work I have done but will do for now, decided to go for outer stringers also, I think/hope it's gonna be strong.
Nesting outer stringers
Gluing/laminating the outer stringers

MrPaul
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by MrPaul » Tue Oct 25, 2016 6:18 pm

Thanks for the info on the cs peter.

This one is coming along quickly! Can't wait to see some skin go on this hull. Looks like it's going to be a real nice boat.

Joe H
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Joe H » Tue Oct 25, 2016 7:15 pm

Peter,
This is one very cool boat, speaking of skin, how are you going to determine the size and shape of the plywood panels? (Sorry if u discussed this earlier in your thread)

Thx
Joe H
Completed: OD16, P19, FS14, V12 in progress

peter-curacao

Post by peter-curacao » Tue Oct 25, 2016 7:22 pm

Joe H wrote:Peter,
This is one very cool boat, speaking of skin, how are you going to determine the size and shape of the plywood panels? (Sorry if u discussed this earlier in your thread)

Thx
Joe H
No problem Joe I didn't discuss it anyway, I'm planning to put a sheet on like in the picture and then run a long dowel along the inner, outer chine and sheer then mark it.

Joe H
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Joe H » Tue Oct 25, 2016 8:41 pm

Good plan!
I was thinking I would have to draw everything up on CAD and unfold the panels then dimension them up, lots of hours of work, I like your idea better!

This may give me the incentive to design and build my own rum runner.

Thx
Joe H
Completed: OD16, P19, FS14, V12 in progress

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack » Tue Oct 25, 2016 9:30 pm

Peter, do you prefer a marinized petrol or diesel engine?
Currently building Jacques Mertens ST21 "Skinnydip". Boating adventures: Splash testing and using 'Skinnydip, as a basis of further building refinement; Adams 44’ sailing sloop "Great Sandy" (cruising and maintaining); Iain Oughtred Feather Pram "Mini Dip" (building); Jacques Mertens R13 "Wood Duck" (built and due for maintenance).