FS 17 - Raised Sheer

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
joe2700
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: FS 17 - Raised Sheer

Post by joe2700 » Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:56 pm

Bogieman wrote:
Thu Apr 19, 2018 7:01 pm
Very nice work! Where do you find that roller looking tool you used on the wide fabric (black handle- looks like a screen printing roller) ? I'll be glassing out the inside of my AD16 pretty soon and have begun considering what to use besides a chip brush.

Bogie
That's a fiberglass laminating roller with grooves. Like this one: https://boatbuildercentral.com/proddeta ... _1%2F2_3in

I only use the chip brush for adding a tiny bit of epoxy to dry spots, popping bubbles, and pushing the cloth into corners. It's works much better at these things if you make it stiffer by cutting off about half the length of the fibers with scissors.

We found it easiest to do the vertical surfaces by taping the cloth on. Then a few feet at a time we lifted it up to prewet underneath with epoxy, and rolled epoxy on the top, both with a solvent safe 3/8 nap cigar roller. Foam rollers absorb too much epoxy and kick quickly. We then squeegeed out the excess.

For the horizontal surfaces we just pour a ton of epoxy on and spread it with a squeegee. Spread it too heavy at first, let it soak for a minute, then pull the extra away and work any dry spots.

That's all for the 12oz biaxial, for normal cloth its much easier.

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Fuzz » Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:07 pm

Great update. Your glass work looks very good. Being able to do that much all at one time is a huge time saver.

Bogieman
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Bogieman » Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:39 pm

[/quote]

That's a fiberglass laminating roller with grooves. Like this one: https://boatbuildercentral.com/proddeta ... _1%2F2_3in

[/quote]

Ok, thank you.

joe2700
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by joe2700 » Fri Apr 20, 2018 1:55 am

Put in an order for more epoxy and supplies, put the wrong shipping address so you guys have an email from me about 30 seconds after the order :roll:

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff » Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:39 am

Joe2700, Received your order and the email correcting the shipping address!! Thank you for both!! Your order will ship later today, Friday, April 20!! (I also sent you a response email) Thank you for your business and I hope it gets warmer for you guys up there!! Tough winter!! Jeff

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest » Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:13 am

Jeff wrote:
Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:39 am
Joe2700, Received your order and the email correcting the shipping address!! Thank you for both!! Your order will ship later today, Friday, April 20!! (I also sent you a response email) Thank you for your business and I hope it gets warmer for you guys up there!! Tough winter!! Jeff
When I seen Joe2700's post of sending you guys the wrong address and then sending an email with correct address I pictured a PIXAR animation of you opening the email and have a big red button by your monitor that you rush to push. It sounds an alarm in the shipping dept and little animated elves start scrambling to stop the packaging of Joe2700 order and they all start double checking it to make sure everything is correct. They report to the shipping manager that the correct address is on the package, which by this time you are in the shipping dept to make sure it is correct and both you and the shipping manager confirm it has the correct address. You then go back to your monitor and send the email confirming that Joe2700 will be getting his shipment to the corrected address and all the elves sign of relief as they go back to being busy and singing happy worker songs.

I'm pretty sure that is how it works, never a doubt!

OQ

joe2700
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by joe2700 » Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:19 am

I'm sure that's just about right OC, the only advantage I had was ordering in the middle of the night, gives you a bit of time to realize you were an idiot before your package is already packed up!