FS 17 - Raised Sheer

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
joe2700
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: FS 17 - Raised Sheer

Post by joe2700 » Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:51 pm

First thing I did this weekend was pull some measurements off the boat I used to drive at work. It was a 17' Montauk and I really liked it's console and seat setup. It was ergonomic both sitting and standing with the swing back seat. I took many measurements off it before it's put away for the year and will use this as a starting point mocking up my console. I plan few inches taller and a bit narrowing for the FS 17. I'll leave under the seat empty for a cooler and 5 gallon buckets of random stuff since I'm going with a permanent fuel tank.
Imgur Album

I also faired, filleted and glassed the keel with 3 layers of biax tape. See the description under each pciture for details.
Imgur Album

It was nice to do some layup instead of just fairing. I am almost ready to start painting, Need to fair the keel in, sharpen the chines, and do a final sanding. Hoping by the end of the month I'll be primed and maybe bottom painted since I can only work about every other weekend.

joe2700
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by joe2700 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:28 pm

It's been a long time since I've been able to work on the boat for more than an hour or two at a time on sporadic weekends. In that time all I managed was fairing in the keel and some more general fairing all over. The past 2 weekends I was able to make some real progress again. Details in the description of each picture in the galleries.

First I sharpened the chines.
Imgur Album

Then I washed the boat and gave the garage a through vacuum and blow out to get rid of dust.
Imgur Album

Then I applied 2 coats of primer.
Imgur Album

I really liked this paint and the other silvertip products but I find the system three's documentation frustrating. The links to many products TDS on the website are duplicate links to the MSDS, and times like the pot life of the primer vary across the TDS, packaging, and product pages. They need a documentation cleanup.

After paint I just started on the cradle for a right side up boat before running out of time. Over the coming long weekend I hope to finish the cradle, sand the primer, fix the remaining pin holes or defects, and apply a final 2 coats of primer. If I can crank the heat up enough for the primer to cure in 24 hours I'll also get 2 coats of bottom paint on the very bottom where it will be hard to paint later. That might be pushing it, and I won't risk it if I'm not sure it's cured. If everything goes just right the boat will be ready to flip the second I'm back from traveling.

Excited to be making some progress again. I'll sign off with the question of what roller other people prefer for applying the yacht primer.

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm » Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:34 pm

Thank you for posting that sequence of pictures on how to finish the edges with a dam and then sand along a surface. Great pictures much better than when I try to explain it in my notes.

For the roller, I let other respond, I am not that good at fairing but it's only a primer. I use the yellow roller we sell here:
https://boatbuildercentral.com/proddeta ... est_covers
That primer is an epoxy.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://bateau.com

joe2700
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by joe2700 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 2:51 am

I wanted to build the cradle before the final primer coats so any small scratches caused wouldn't have to be fixed after they went on. So I started with that today. I made the aft most bunk(are they called that when going across the boat?), then put two 2x6 from there to the bow, using a laser level to level them. I wanted to have it level relative to the strong back so once the boat it right side up I can still use a level as a reference.

I filled in a bunk every few feet tapping it in until the 2x6 was up to the laser line. It's not stiff enough by itself, but I plan to flip the boat on to this, then remove the sawhorses and strongback from my current structure and pull this one up on to it and secure it. This way I can keep using my wheels and reuse a lot of the lumber.
Imgur Album

After that was done I moved the cradle outside and covered it with a tarp as snow is coming. Sanded the first 2 coats of primer with 180 grit, washed it again, and put a third coat of primer on. I need to get the 4th and final coat on before going to bed if I want to stay on my schedule for the weekend, so I currently have the heater and dehumidifier running full blast in the garage while it snows outside. Temp is 92 F and rising, humidity is 42% and falling. Should be able to get that last coat on soon, which I will thin 10% again.

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest » Sun Feb 18, 2018 6:39 am

Good looking hull. Liking the cradle you made too.

cape man
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by cape man » Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:10 am

I know you are trying to get it done as fast as possible, but while you can put on several coats of primer soon after each other, you need to wait awhile - about a week - before the top coat for that S3 product to fully cure.

Boat looks fantastic and I like the cradle.
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

joe2700
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by joe2700 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:46 pm

cape man wrote:
Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:10 am
I know you are trying to get it done as fast as possible, but while you can put on several coats of primer soon after each other, you need to wait awhile - about a week - before the top coat for that S3 product to fully cure.

Thanks cape man, according to the can you need 24 hours at 77 F and can test for cure by rubbing a wet finger on the paint and making sure you don't pick anything up. Have people found it actually takes longer? I was planning on giving it about 30 hours then relying on that test to decide if I should go ahead or wait until the next weekend. Hoping starting the cure off so hot will make it fully cure in the allotted time but we'll see.

joe2700
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by joe2700 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:14 pm

I did the test system three describes in their paint literature, where you rub a wet finger on the paint and see if any comes off. I got no transfer to my finger at all after some vigorous rubbing indicating it's cured. I'm going to give it the extra 12 hours to tomorrow and then go ahead with bottom paint. Here are a few pictures of the hull with final primer(when it was still wet), I've very happy with how it's looking. Also a better picture of the cradle as I added some carpet.
Imgur Album

Fair WX Pilot
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Fair WX Pilot » Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:02 am

joe2700 wrote:
Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:46 pm
cape man wrote:
Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:10 am

Thanks cape man, according to the can you need 24 hours at 77 F and can test for cure by rubbing a wet finger on the paint and making sure you don't pick anything up. Have people found it actually takes longer? I was planning on giving it about 30 hours then relying on that test to decide if I should go ahead or wait until the next weekend. Hoping starting the cure off so hot will make it fully cure in the allotted time but we'll see.
Hi, if it’s of any help I used the same primer on my build. I checked and checked the transom and thought it was dry as I was rushing to flip the hull. Unfortunately as soon as I started wet sanding it I virtually washed off all the paint as it was only the top surface that was cured. I have 9 coats on my hull and had no other problems with the previous coats which all cured for around a week before sanding. Your boat looks great by the way and really enjoying following your build.
Alan.

joe2700
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by joe2700 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:04 pm

Well I ignored everyones advice and it seems fine but time will tell! I think starting the cure at 90F+ and <40% humidity really gets you a full cure much faster than normal. I sanded the hull very lightly just to knock off bumps from dust. Then wiped the whole boat down with water and no primer came off. Then I wiped down with the noxious thinner for the bottom paint, still nothing came off. Taped off the bottom just where I can't get to later, not up to the actual waterline which I will mark when I float her.

Next I applied three coats of total boat spartan bottom paint. First coat I used the the 3/8 roller than came with the paint and it was a mistake, it didn't flatten out leaving way too much texture. The next two coats I thinned and applied with a foam roller. This reduced but didn't eliminate the texture overall. Since bottom paint wears away instead of being permanent, and since this paint will always be below the surface not just above, I'm not too worried about it. Still disappointing after making the primer so smooth, but that will pay off for the topside paint down the road.

You can see on the side I also glassed the outside of the two sheer panels with medium cloth while the bottom paint dried. Easier to get those smooth before attaching them to the boat.
Imgur Album