FS 14 LS Measurement Question

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
George Costanza
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

FS 14 LS Measurement Question

Post by George Costanza » Tue Dec 20, 2016 3:34 pm

I started laying out the boat this morning and I have a question. The measurement for the edge of the plywood to the bow should be 72 5/8. My measurement is 74 3/8. I used TYP 12" for each of the 12 lines (stern to bow) except for bow where I used 14 3/8. What am I missing?
Attachments
Bow 3.jpg
(23.81 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Bow.jpg
Bow.jpg (63.57 KiB) Viewed 329 times
Bow 2.jpg
Bow 2.jpg (5.24 KiB) Viewed 329 times

seaslug
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: FS 14 LS Measurement Question

Post by seaslug » Tue Dec 20, 2016 3:57 pm

I don't recall seeing that when I did the lay out, but I didn't use the nesting diagram because I had some left over ply and used that first. Disregard that 72 5/8" on the nesting diagram, lay 2 sheets of ply end to end and lay out from hull plate A319/4, which it appears you've already done. Your 14 3/8" is correct. Also, do not cut the deck panels until after you've flipped the hull, installed the rub rail, this way you can custom fit the decks. Every hull will be a little different in its final shape. Mike

George Costanza
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by George Costanza » Tue Dec 20, 2016 4:28 pm

Mike, Thanks for the lightning fast response. What are your thoughts on cutting both bottom pieces (and sides) together. I have read that many builders cut them together but the tutorials recommend otherwise. Thoughts? Thanks Joe!

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm » Tue Dec 20, 2016 4:44 pm

I checked an it is correct.
The seam between the two parts is NOT on one of the Typical lines.
Start by marking that point, draw the vertical line at 14 something then all the Typical lines at 12".
We show it that way because it works with all sizes plywood sheets: some are 96" long, some 98-3/8 (Okume).

Even if you did cut it differently, the panel will be correct, just the splice or butt block will be in a different place. No big deal.

You can cut two sheets at the same time. I prefer not because I use a circular saw and can not make nice curves through 2 layers. It's a matter of personal preference.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://bateau.com

seaslug

Post by seaslug » Tue Dec 20, 2016 4:59 pm

Jacques I think if you look at the nesting diagram the dimension does show 72 5/8" which doesn't match the plan diagram. If the bottom panel is laid out from the transom every 12" with the last measurement at 14 3/8", as shown, the overall length of the bottom panel should be 158 3/8". At least that's the way I see it. Correct me if I'm wrong. I think the nesting diagram is either wrong, or I'm not looking at it correctly. Mike

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm » Tue Dec 20, 2016 5:10 pm

I edited the my reply several times, sorry for the confusion.
I checked several times and the nesting as well as the plate drawing match and are correct but, the seam between the two pieces is not on one of the typical 12" lines. It is offset by a couple inches, probably to line up with something else.
(I am home right now and don't have the model here, only the 2D drawing).
Even if your splice or butt block is offset by a few inches, the panel is still correct.

George Costanza
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by George Costanza » Tue Dec 20, 2016 7:32 pm

Jacques will you be able to respond with the exact measurements of the seam between the two pieces? Thank You, Joe
Attachments
Bow 4.jpg
(27.74 KiB) Not downloaded yet

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm » Wed Dec 21, 2016 9:39 am

I am afraid all this is getting unnecessarily complicated. You don't need that dimension but if you want, you have it.
It is simple, from your posts: the closest typical line is at 74-3/8 and the seam between the two sheets of plywood is at 72-5/8.
The difference is that distance: 1-3/4.

I don't want to scare anybody: it is not necessary to calculate anything like that to build the boat.
The plans show where the tip of the panel is on the nesting drawing and from there, you apply the dimensions shown on the plates drawing.
Even if you do not locate the panel where we show it, the panel will be correct and the boat will be fine. All what will happen is that the fiberglass splice will not be where the designer intended it, no big deal.

seaslug

Post by seaslug » Wed Dec 21, 2016 9:49 am

I didn't mean to confuse or upset anyone, but since I didn't follow the nesting diagram I probably never saw the 72 5/8" notation. All I'm saying is it can obviously confuse things, and if I would have seen that measurement during my lay out, may have questioned it myself. I was just recommending that dimensions should be taken off the plan diagram and not the nesting page. Mike

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm » Wed Dec 21, 2016 10:06 am

I may remove that dimension from the plans or write about it in the notes.
In most of our plans, we do not show dimensions on the nesting drawing, we let the builder find out.
Here, we wanted to help: in some cases, the nesting is tight and in other cases, we like to line up the splices with something.

I may add something to the building notes like: "If you locate the parts on the plywood as shown on the nesting drawing, please do not assume that the typical lines spaced every 12" line up with the edge of the plywood sheet".
I hesitate. That type of note make it sound complicated when it is not.
All this started because of the assumption that one of the vertical dimensions must line up with the edge of the sheet. No other builder made that assumption until now.
I"ll think about it but in the mean time, keep building, that plate is correct wherever you put it on the plywood.