OD18 - NH

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Browndog
Active Poster
Active Poster

Re: OD18 - NH

Post by Browndog » Tue Mar 07, 2017 8:11 pm

You have convinced me to get my router out for more than I had planned. Thank you.

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Fuzz » Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:10 pm

Well now I understand why your work looks like it does :D
What type of gunsmithing do you do? My father ran a gunshop and did gunsmithing for the last 30 years of his life. I have a number of custom guns he built for me over the years but a 35 Whelen he made for me about 40 years ago has been on all but one hunt since then.

Fair WX Pilot
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Fair WX Pilot » Thu Mar 09, 2017 1:04 pm

In between work and other distractions I managed to get a little more done.

I set up the clamping board on the mill to drill the engine mounting holes to BIA standard positions.

I squared the board to +/- 0.001" as my inexperience with outboard motor mounting means that I have no idea how close the tolerances are on an average motor so I aimed small to make sure I get close.

I drilled out 1 1/2" pockets for the wood flour / milled strand mix.

The general layout worked out well.

I try to mask where I can to help clean-up.

Holes filled with no problems or voids.

Re-mounted the board on the mill and drilled the holes to 0.484" instead of the 1/2" final size again based on my inexperience with boat building. This way I can ream the holes to final size once I get my motor. As professionals do this job free hand with a jig I am fairly sure I shouldn't be that far off.
Alan.

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen » Thu Mar 09, 2017 1:18 pm

I may find you have the opposite problem... you are TOO accurate :)

Looks great!

Fair WX Pilot
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Fair WX Pilot » Thu Mar 09, 2017 4:59 pm

Installed backing blocks for the bilge drain and for the trim tabs.

Drilling for the deck drain is much simpler on a drill press rather than by hand after assembly.

Holes drilled ready for potting.

Because I wanted to keep the bilge drain as flush with the bottom of the bilge as possible I had to build a dam to support the potting stage whilst it set. I did the same with the deck drain valve backing block.

Hole filling went well with no voids. I used wood flour and milled fibers for reinforcement as the holes were large.

Bilge drain and deck drain holes complete.

I cut a backing plate for the deck drain from a piece of 1/2" and filled the center with the would flour and fiber mix

Backing plate ready for bolts.
Alan.

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff » Thu Mar 09, 2017 7:22 pm

Wow, just wow, what a shop!! Jeff

narfi
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by narfi » Thu Mar 09, 2017 8:21 pm

Beautiful work already, I will enjoy watching as you progress.
Soaking up knowledge.

Fair WX Pilot
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Fair WX Pilot » Thu Mar 09, 2017 10:28 pm

After spending a long time putting sub-assemblies together it is very satisfying to start assembling something that looks vaguely like a boat.

Seems like I need a big bunch of crap at every stage of this build :D .

Primed all the surfaces prior to adding the adhesive.

All went down without a problem.

At last "boat shaped". I am starting to think I should have completed the bait well intake installation before I did this stage. It would have been much easier to do before the boards were joined but I couldn't work out all the hole locations until the bottom is complete.
Last edited by Fair WX Pilot on Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alan.

Fair WX Pilot
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Fair WX Pilot » Thu Mar 09, 2017 10:53 pm

I took the bottom panel off the strong-back once it was dry and built a form to support the panel with the correct curve to match the stringers.

I cut them out by allowing for the 1/2" ply bottom and 1/16" for a spacer between the stringers and panel.

I was amazed how easily the bottom panel took up the new shape. I had expected to have to use weight to get it to bend but it just laid straight down with no stress.

A quick symmetry check and everything still looked straight :D . Its starting to look like a giant surf board!

Dry fitting the stringers went very well and they just sat in with no clamping required.

The stringers fit so well that they even showed up a small blob of glue that I had missed when I cleaned up the bottom. Couldn't be happier with this as I was dreading having to use loads of weight to force things together.

I lifted the stringers off as one unit and primed both sides of the joint. I then let it all soak in for a couple of hours to get good penetration.

I had my Wife come and help with the gluing, She mixed the glue as I applied it. It was a big help as I'm still using fast hardener and the temperatures are much hotter here than I planned for. With both of us there it was easy to get it lifted back into place and clamped down with the usual pile of stuff.

We got a good amount of squeeze out along the whole length and the stir sticks were great to avoid any hard spots. Picked up the stir stick trick from CL in his FS18 thread. A very good one to read if you haven't built a boat before.
Alan.

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Fuzz » Thu Mar 09, 2017 10:55 pm

Now comes the part I like the best. In short order you will have a boat looking thing sitting in your shop.
I built myself a jig for my curricular saw like the one you showed. Man does that work nice. Do not know why I did not think of it years ago :doh: Learn something new every day :D