OD18 - NH

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Fuzz
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: OD18 - NH

Post by Fuzz » Thu Mar 09, 2017 10:58 pm

We posted at the same time :D Your work and glue up looks very good. Nice clean,precise work. This is going to be one nice dory :!:

Fair WX Pilot
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Fair WX Pilot » Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:44 pm

I've been doing more work than posting, so that's probably a good thing. I left the stringers to go completely off before attempting to remove the spreaders and clamps.

I went around and pulled out my stir stick spacers but found a couple of them had gotten glued in when I put the stringers down. To prevent these becoming hard spots I cleaned up under the stringers with a hack saw blade.

I know I have a lot of 6" tape to put down in this project so I made a gauge block to quickly draw my layout lines for the tape. The chamfer on the bottom is to clear any radius or fillet.

Using the gauge block it is now quite quick and accurate to layout for the tapes.

I used a piping bag to pump adhesive under the stringers where I had removed the spacers until it came out the other side so that I know there are no voids. My first fillets weren't that neat but here is a good chance to practice as none of these will be seen.

The tape went down with no problems. The chamfer on the butt blocks definitely helped keep the tape down as it transitioned back onto the base. I would be a little more aggressive with these edges next time as they still needed a little more off to make the job easy.
Alan.

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff » Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:05 pm

Nice clean work Fair WX Pilot!! Also, quite a nice work shop you have there!! Have a good weekend!! Jeff

Fair WX Pilot
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Fair WX Pilot » Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:47 pm

Mounted the molds on 2 x 4 uprights that will form legs when the boat is rolled over. I did this because I'm a bit worried about putting too much strain on the bow if it rests on the ground.

Mold 'D' and 'E' were quite simple as they are perpendicular to the base. I used corner clamping gauges to help align the uprights.

I screwed through the stringers with fender washers to protect the fiberglass and help prevent crushing.

Once the uprights were in place it was simple to fit the molds on the layout lines.

Molds 'B' and 'C' were a completely different story. The drawing shows the molds vertical so only 'D' and 'E' could be fitted square to the bottom panel. My garage floor like most others is sloping to give drainage as it's really only built to store cars in. To overcome this I jacked up the strong back to level and then fitted the forward uprights vertical. I drew the line at breaking out the inclinometer and used a spirit level as a couple of degrees won't hurt things that much here.

With the front and back molds in it was time to check to see if things were straight or if I would be permanently sailing in circles. I did this by trammeling across a center line.

I'm very happy that after all the layout work I was only the width of my pencil mark out. I must get a sharper pencil next time. :D

Starting to fill in the middle with molds 'C' and 'D'.

I trimmed all the legs level taking into account the curve of the bottom panel so that they will take equal load once it's all turned over.
Alan.

Fair WX Pilot
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Fair WX Pilot » Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:56 pm

I just wanted to give a quick "Shout Out" for the guys at Bateau. The gallery was down last week for maintenance and I idly sent a quick email to let them know. Within just a few minutes I had a response from Jamie and Jeff explaining the situation. I should also add that this was early Sunday Morning!

Thank you guys for such fantastic service. You really set the standard for other companies to achieve.
Alan.

willg
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by willg » Sat Mar 18, 2017 9:05 pm

Your work is very impressive and thought out. Thanks for the detailed posts. Inspiring!

Fair WX Pilot
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Fair WX Pilot » Sat Mar 18, 2017 9:16 pm

Thanks Willg. I'm trying to be good and update as I go so that I can have a diary of the build but you know how things like work get in the way.

With the rest of the boat progressing well I went back to the transom. I have done all the drilling I can on the parts while they were small and light, but it was now time to glue the clamping board to the transom. I used dowels to keep things aligned while I did the machining so it was no problem to prime both surfaces and then put them together with lots of glue.

The last drill job that I could do before fitting the transom was to drill for the motor well drains as I know where they should be.

This is getting quite thick now so I'm glad I didn't have to do this freehand. Even my pillar drill had to take this slowly.

My filleting is getting better. Good job as well as these will be seen inside the bilge. I filled the motor well drain holes with wood flour and milled fibers and sanded them after they cured.

Drilled them back out to 1" to eventually hold brass drain tubes.

The transom clamped in place. I put strapping supports on mold 'E' to help support the weight of the transom.

Temporary supports for the transom.
Alan.

Fair WX Pilot
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Fair WX Pilot » Sat Mar 18, 2017 9:25 pm

Moving right along, I fitted strapping to triangulate the mold supports. I did this because I don't know how many people may be available to help me turn it over and I may have to roll it! This way nothing should move and it didn't add any weight to do it.

I cut the cross braces for the mold supports so that they will fit into the strong back once upside down.

Replaced the clamp on the transom with the transom brace's. The angle of the transom is now set and quite firm.

At last, some side panels going on. It is starting to look like a boat.
Alan.

Fair WX Pilot
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Fair WX Pilot » Sat Mar 18, 2017 9:40 pm

This "Stitch and Glue" is a lot more painful than I expected it to be!

I was drilling stitch holes in the lower panel with a backing block held against the hole to prevent tear out, when I inadvertently drilled into my finger instead of the backing block. I say inadvertently like anybody does it on purpose. If you do, maybe you should be in a nice padded room being fed pudding.

The way I remember it, I calmly stepped back from the job, carefully placing my tools down and said "gosh darn it". In reality I probably mentioned somebody's mother and several other unprintable words. My wife is very organized and has organized every first aid box I have ever brought, to a place that I can never find. I have one tucked away where I know where it is . A butterfly stitch and a Band-Aid to keep the dirt out and its back to work. This is going to hurt in the morning.

Positive: It was a very sharp drill bit so nice clean hole.

Negative: Well its all negative, I just made up the positive to cheer myself up.

Alan.

Fair WX Pilot
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Fair WX Pilot » Sat Mar 18, 2017 9:45 pm

Now that I can say that I have put something of myself into the boat (blood) its on with attaching the side lower panels.

I have been trimming the panels here and there to get a nice even gap between them to avoid any hard spots.

At last its starting to look like a boat.
Alan.