GV15 Build

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Huntsabunch
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: GV15 Build

Post by Huntsabunch » Wed Feb 22, 2017 11:48 am

Had more company this past weekend (as well as a funeral) so progress has been a little slower than expected. My visitors also contributed to the death of many, many brain cells that will likely inhibit my progress for days to come but, from what I remember of it, it was worth it. :? I am now at a point where I have the bottom and transom laminated with the 12 oz biax and the sides with 8 oz cloth. I'm pretty happy with the results except for the problems noted in an earlier post where some areas just didn't seem to want to wet out completely. Here are a couple closeups of some of those areas.

As I started sanding in anticipation of fairing I noticed that there were also a few places where the fabric was not tight to the plywood at the chine. Since the glass on the sides was optional i cut these out and leveled them with quick fair.

I got everything looking pretty good and , after finding a can of West System 406 silica in my cabinet (from 25 years ago), I thickened up some resin and rolled a coat over the entire hull. I don't know if that helped structurally but it made for a better looking job. Like all the separate pcs of glass came together as one piece.

I think I am ready to start fairing but my biggest concern is blistering in the future. The larger areas of improper adhesion were easy to find and repair. But what about tiny ones? Or areas that might be stuck now but not well enough and might turn loose later? Anybody got any advice in this regard?

I hope to start filling the weave with fairing compound this evening. I'll start on the bottom near the transom since that is the place that will be least visible. Again, any input from the pros would be much appreciated about now. Also, if anyone sees anything else that looks suspicious, please let me know. There are additional pics in my gallery (huntsabunch).

Eric1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Eric1 » Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:07 pm

I'm kinda surprised with your fiberglass acting like that. I did have a couple of very small place not want to wet out but nothing like you have had. Plus, I would have thought the West being a 3:1 it would have wet out more easily. Ya know,as I think about it,maybe the thicker 2:1 Silvertip helps hold on the thicker fiberglass. I'm just speculating, I'm by no means a Pro. Anyway, I wish you a smooth and successful build.

Huntsabunch
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Huntsabunch » Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:15 am

I'm actually using Silvertip. I had an old can of West System silica left over from the 90's that I added to the Silvertip epoxy to put an additional coat over everything. It all looks good. I'm just a little worried that if there is any trapped air between the glass and the plywood that it will show up as a blister somewhere down the road. I'm sure I can get it looking good from where it is but I don't have the experience to know what areas might be a problem later. Worst case scenario is that next winters project will be boat repair instead of boat building. :)
Thanks for your post Eric.

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Fuzz » Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:27 am

Even with the pictures I can not tell if you have a problem or not :doh: It would be really nice if an experienced builders was close enough to go look at it. Sorry I am just a little too far away to do it :roll:

Eric1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Eric1 » Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:27 am

I've subscribed to your build. The GV15 is one of the boats I'm thinking I may build next. Keep the pictures coming!

Huntsabunch
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Huntsabunch » Thu Feb 23, 2017 2:00 pm

Fuzz wrote:
Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:27 am
Even with the pictures I can not tell if you have a problem or not :doh: It would be really nice if an experienced builders was close enough to go look at it. Sorry I am just a little too far away to do it :roll:
Fuzz,
Can you at least tell me the potential problem might be? What should I be looking for?

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Fuzz » Thu Feb 23, 2017 3:26 pm

Can you tell if the glass is just a little dry in spots or is it not stuck to the wood at all?
A little dry is maybe not such a big deal but so dry it did not stick to the wood is a big problem. That would need to be cut out and new glass laid. I really hope you receive other opinions on this.

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Fuzz » Thu Feb 23, 2017 3:30 pm

I think I could live with what I see in the first two pictures and maybe the last two. What I see in the third picture bothers me some.

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm » Thu Feb 23, 2017 4:53 pm

I agree that the glass looks too white. Do you use enough resin?
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://bateau.com

Huntsabunch
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Huntsabunch » Thu Feb 23, 2017 4:54 pm

Fuzz wrote:
Thu Feb 23, 2017 3:30 pm
I think I could live with what I see in the first two pictures and maybe the last two. What I see in the third picture bothers me some.
Third picture is where the 8 oz didn't stick to the 12 oz underneath. There is no problem that i could see with the biax tape that joins the side and bottom or the 50" biax over it that covers the bottom. These 2 layers make up the structural joint at the chine. The 8 oz material is over top of it. It wetted out just fine. I wouldn't have known there was a bubble if I hadn't pushed on it. I cut it out and sanded it back to where it was bonded with the 12 oz and them leveled it off with fairing compound. Since the 8 oz was optional, I didn't figure it was necessary to add back another layer of glass for that little area. Is there something else in that picture that bothers you? If I need to re-do something, I would rather do it now before I get any further along and would rather err on the side of caution. So, what would be the fix for what might be wrong?