FS 19 build

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
cvincent
Active Poster
Active Poster

Re: FS 19 build

Post by cvincent » Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:56 am

Congratulations your boat is beautiful! I hope you feel better soon.

Completed D15, Building PH18

Martin R Milton
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Martin R Milton » Tue Apr 17, 2018 1:05 pm

Amen to that!!!
Our Prayers on are with you for your recovery.
Thanks,
Martin <><
Eph. 3:20

Browndog
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Browndog » Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:04 pm

Thanks guys for the get well quick thoughts. After three doses of antibiotics I am feeling a lot better already. Yesterday I was so weak I had to lean on the counter at the pharmacy to prevent myself from falling down. Very scary.

Reid,

Was hoping to get a lot of photos and performance numbers today. The hoist at the marina was being worked on, so we couldn’t get the boat back in the water. By the end of next weekend I should have lots of photos for you.

I did re plumb the washdown pump today. It looks like I had put a couple of hoses in the wrong place. Hopefully that will do the trick.

Discovered some more Kiwi Grip that is losing adhesion. Tom, Yes, I had sanded the surface to provide a mechanical key and then washed and wiped down all of the sanding residue. I did not use window cleaner however. Only water. That along with not giving enough time to cure before using and subjecting to immersion in water to soon I believe is the culprit. It was only the Kiwi Grip applied on the cockpit sole that has shown any sign of delamination. The last area to get finished. All other areas remain good.

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 » Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:39 pm

Browndog I am still not sure that Kiwi Grip is all that it is cracked up to be. Cracker Larry put it on his OD18 and I am going to have to replace it on the sole and gunnels. It just did not hold up after 9 years. I may just sand it off and go old style.as I am repainting the insides anyway.

Tom

PS: Get well quick. Deb had a tick bite her and she got rocky mountain fever. Took here a couple of weeks and some anti-biotics to kill it. Take care.

Tom''
Last edited by TomW1 on Wed Apr 18, 2018 12:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

cape man
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by cape man » Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:45 pm

I got typhus from a a tick in North Africa in the 80s. Worst I ever felt. Two days of antibiotics and I was good as gold. Hope the same for you.

Glad your fish fry and boat show went well.
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

Spokaloo

Post by Spokaloo » Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:39 pm

I have kiwigrip in all of my boats, and have yet to have a single inch of it peel up.

My suspicion is you didn't give it the requisite time to dry. We are in a dry climate here, and most of my applications spent a week drying out in humidities under 50% before they went in the water. Coating it, then getting it submerged or dampened sounds like the most likely culprit.

As an example, 5 years ago I put it in the bottom of my skiff. It has been in the water ever since, and more than half the time there's some amount of rain water in it (over a foot in it today, haven't drained it in a month of rainy days). Still down perfectly tight, and my prep work wasn't exactly stellar.

E

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz » Fri Apr 20, 2018 1:01 am

That is the big problem living in warm weather places. There way too many biting things that carry all sorts of bad stuff. The things we have that bite............well you know it when it happens :wink:
I too have had some peeling Kiwigrip but I am pretty sure my prep was lacking. I am going to give it another try and see how it does with better prep.

fourwinds
New Poster
New Poster

Post by fourwinds » Sat Apr 21, 2018 6:07 pm

Browndog, that is an absolutely beautiful boat. I hope to have the time (and skill) to someday pull off something half as nice as the boat you built. Your attention to detail is admirable. Strictly out of curiosity, would you feel comfortable taking that boat out to one of the closer artificial reefs (say under 10 miles) on good weather days? I've got in-laws in Brunswick and I've done some bottom fishing in a similar-sized Key West V hull boat on the artificial reefs on days with favorable forecasts. I was just curious if you felt this boat was up to occasional use in that fashion or if it would be inadvisable. I wish you a speedy recovery!

Browndog
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Browndog » Sat Apr 21, 2018 9:11 pm

Four winds,

Thanks for the kind words and the get well wishes. The antibiotics that I’m on have rapidly returned me to feeling better. Despite some lingering fatigue I would say I’m 95% recovered.

As far as the near shore reefs go, I would not hesitate to take this boat to the Near Shore Reefs. One that we go to fairly often is the KTK which is about 7 miles offshore. It would be a piece of cake in this boat. I would probably go even if it wasn’t dead calm. The boat can handle a chop. On a calm day, going to Gray’s Reeef which is 17 miles offshore would not be a stretch. The boat cruises very comfortably at about 30 MPH. It would not be a long ride on a calm day. It also can maintain plane down to about 12-14 MPH, so if it did get rough, you can make decent time without having to plow through the waves at displacement speeds.

What has impressed me the most about this boat in the few days we’ve had it out so far is the ride. Very comfortable, very predicatable, very efficient and very dry. I’ve been frustrated this week in not being able to go out more. For the last week and a half we’ve had small craft advisories and pretty high winds. Although I’m confident the boat could take it, none of my fishing partners have been willing to go out and I’m not one that likes to go out alone much. I was supposed to take our friend’s two boys out this weekend and we had to postpone due to the weather.

The boat looks and feels like a large bay boat. I feel safer in the FS 19 than I do in my Egret 189 flats skiff fishing offshore, and the Egret is renown for its great ride. You feel like you are inside the FS 19 as opposed to on top of the Egret. The Egret is faster but it doesn’t ride as well at idle speeds due to its deep V. It tends to wander at slow speeds. The FS 19 tracks beautifully at slow speeds. The Egret comes in to its own around 30MPH and the ride is amazing from there until it tops out at about 52 MPH, just skipping across the chop at that point. The FS 19 is topping out probably around 40- 42 MPH. Once I can get some more hours on the motor I will post full performance information.

fourwinds
New Poster
New Poster

Post by fourwinds » Sun Apr 22, 2018 9:23 am

Well I hope you get some decent weather headed your way soon. I appreciate your input on the boat's capabilities. It seems like a great multipurpose boat. I'd love to build one as I think it'd suit my needs nicely. But, I'm thinking my garage dimensions (20'x20') will necessitate building the smaller FS17 just for ease of movement during the build (don't plan on storing boat in garage). How deep is your garage? I noticed the bow of the boat was close to your garage door in some pictures, but it looked like you had room behind the boat.