FS 19 build

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: FS 19 build

Post by Jeff » Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:09 am

Excellent Browndog!!! Jeff

Browndog
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Browndog » Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:34 pm

This morning I took the boat out of the garage for good. Installed the windshield and the PVC guide ons on the trailer.

After my brother got here, we took the boat to town to get gas and show the finished product to my friends at the golf course and at the boat yard that installed the motor.

We then put the boat in the water and idled for the first hour. The next hour we varied the RPMs and we also tried to do a little fishing for some whiting. The tide really wasn’t right for fishing, mainly we were just testing everything.

So here is what happened and what I learned. There is a very slight leak coming from the bottom of one of the seacocks. It probably took two hours to finally get enough water in the bilge for the bilge pump to work.

When the livewell and the baitwell are full it adds a lot of weight to the back of the boat and the scuppers had water coming up into the cockpit. Not a ton of water, but enough to get your feet wet if you step wrong. Once you start moving all of the water in the cockpit drains. That is even after raising the cockpit floor one inch. Perhaps my scupper drains are too low on the transom.

Something is wrong with the way I plumbed the washdown pump and hose, because I couldn’t get water to come out of it. In fact it seemed like there was a vacuum causing suction when I squeezed the trigger on the spray head on the washdown hose.

The boat would definitely benefit with more weight up front. In hindsight, I probably should have put either the batteries or the livewell & baitwell in the front casting deck. The only thing up front today was the anchor. When my brother fills the front hatches with tackle and other stuff I think it will help.

When you put the throttle forward the boat just goes faster. It is a very smooth transition from not planing to planing.

It was very windy today and fairly choppy on one section of the river we were on where the wind was blowing against the tide. The boat handled the chop easily. The spray rails are very effective. The boat is extremely dry riding.

We only got it up to wide open throttle for a very brief time. Not enough time to really get the trim tabs and the motor tilt dialed in but we were able to hit 40 MPH easily.

Tomorrow we will put the boat in the water again and go fishing for much of the day. I expect we will get some performance numbers at different RPMs and fuel flow before my brother leaves for home on Tuesday. So I’ll post those later.

The boat looks fantastic in the water and my brother is ecstatic. The Yamaha 115 four stroke is extremely quiet and powerful. The Raymarine Axiom 9 GPS/Sonar and the Standard Horizon VHF worked great. The Yamaha Digital gauges are also very easy to read even in bright sunlight.

Here is a picture of my brother with his boat at the dock before we took it out of the water

Martin R Milton
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Martin R Milton » Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:56 pm

Browndog,

Congratulations, she looks awesome both on the trailer and in the water!!!!!!!!!
Martin
Thanks,
Martin <><
Eph. 3:20

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest » Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:39 pm

Boat looks just awesome! And your brother is wearing a matching shirt!

Hope he gets it trimmed out with weight in the front. Do you think if more weight in the front it will help with the water coming in the scuppers?

cape man
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by cape man » Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:46 pm

Yeah baby!
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

narfi
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by narfi » Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:59 pm

Looks Great!!!
You will have to do a launched thread with LOTS of pictures on the water :)

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack » Fri Apr 13, 2018 3:37 am

Sweet as. 8) 8) 8)
Completed R13 two part nesting rowboat. ST 21 under construction .... where seeking perfection is recognized as the enemy of the good.

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff » Fri Apr 13, 2018 7:38 am

Really good stuff Browndog and the BOAT looks GREAT!!!!! Enjoy your day today on her and let us know how she does today!! Also, congrats to your brother as well, he is getting a GREAT, unique boat!! Jeff

silentneko
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by silentneko » Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:13 am

Good deal bud!

As far as water coming in the scuppers, look into the ping pong ball type seals. I know a few guys who have used them with good results on old hobie power skiffs that have the same wet foot issues.
Built: 15ft Skiff, 16ft Skiff, Modified Cheap Canoe.....FS17 coming soon!

pee wee
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by pee wee » Fri Apr 13, 2018 9:37 am

Wow! A thing of beauty! Congratulations on the splash and shake down, more pictures please! 8)

The sun is behind him so it's hard to see, is that a smile on your brother's face?
Hank