PH18 Bass Boat

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
texasmechanic
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: PH18 Bass Boat

Post by texasmechanic » Fri Mar 10, 2017 8:08 pm

TomW1 wrote:
Fri Mar 10, 2017 1:18 am
texasmechanic wrote:
Wed Mar 08, 2017 9:21 pm

24x36 are a good size forget what that is called in printers terms. Them take all the measurements from the plans to the plywood. It is not difficult. Just check measurements a couple of times before cutting.
Architectural D are 24x36, I have a guy that runs a print shop that I totally forgot about that I have done favors on his vehicles. He printed me out some arch c prints (18x24) for me free of charge today.

texasmechanic
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by texasmechanic » Fri Mar 10, 2017 8:32 pm

I do have a few questions for you guys...

After scouring my blueprints several times, I can't find any measurements for the notches/slots that are cut into the stringers and the bulkheads. Am I missing something here? The slots I'm referring to are where the bulkheads slip into the stringers if that makes any sense.

Huntsabunch
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Huntsabunch » Sat Mar 11, 2017 8:11 pm

Often times measurements will be "typical" and only shone on one drawing to be assumed on similar drawings. However, the notches can be easily calculated by measuring the depth of the stringer at the point where they are located. the sum of depth of the stringer and bulkhead notch (add them together) should equal this measurement. In other words, if the stringer is 6" deep at the notch location you could notch both pcs 3" or one piece 4" and one 2". the result is for the stringer to sit flush with the top of the bulkhead or frame. Since everything will be glassed in solid I don't think the depth is critical.

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 » Sat Mar 11, 2017 11:16 pm

Huntsabunch wrote:
Sat Mar 11, 2017 8:11 pm
Often times measurements will be "typical" and only shone on one drawing to be assumed on similar drawings. However, the notches can be easily calculated by measuring the depth of the stringer at the point where they are located. the sum of depth of the stringer and bulkhead notch (add them together) should equal this measurement. In other words, if the stringer is 6" deep at the notch location you could notch both pcs 3" or one piece 4" and one 2". the result is for the stringer to sit flush with the top of the bulkhead or frame. Since everything will be glassed in solid I don't think the depth is critical.
Agree with Huntabunch or you can make the notches the height of stringers and not worry about notching the stringers if you have enough wood on the frames. Also only make them an 1/8" wider than the stringers 1/4 is to wide.
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses.

willg
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by willg » Sun Mar 12, 2017 12:11 pm

The notch process is addressed in a couple of places in the tutorials. Here's one link : http://bateau2.com/howto/notches.php

So as long as the bulkheads and stringers match up at the hull surface, notch dimensions don't matter. However, for the PH18 since bulkhead C is going to get cut down flush to the top of the stringer once the hull is flipped rightside up (to create the sole of the cockpit), you don't want to notch only the bulkhead, you want to notch both the bulkhead and stringer. Otherwise you won't end up with a continuous piece of ply for bulkhead C. Here's my bulkhead C before installation:

Keep the questions coming. Better to ask now...

texasmechanic
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by texasmechanic » Mon Mar 13, 2017 2:42 am

Everything is starting to make more & more sense now, thanks guys!

texasmechanic
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by texasmechanic » Tue Mar 14, 2017 11:31 pm

Safe to assume that my dims for my bottom pieces are based off of half sheet width? Studied them for a bit & that's what I came up with. Also, what does ptyp stand for in the drawings?

flyfishingmonk
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by flyfishingmonk » Fri Jun 09, 2017 12:41 am

How is the boat coming along?

Casey
Do not withhold good from those to whom it is due, when it is in your power to act. PR 3:27
Build Photos at Fly Fishing Monk's Phantom 18
Work Bio at Provision Retirement