Shelterlogic 18'x28' "Boat Factory"

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
narfi
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Shelterlogic 18'x28' "Boat Factory"

Post by narfi » Sun Jul 02, 2017 3:05 am

Opened up my "Ikea on steroids" package and started putting it together today.

20170701_103204.jpg

20170701_121137.jpg
20170701_204522.jpg

Ended up being a much larger project than I expected.
Started opening boxes around 10:30 and had some co workers scheduled to come help at 3.
By 3 I had about 80% of the frames pinned together and nuts finger tight on them.
One guy showed up at 3 and by 4.30 or so everything was ready to stand up. We left everything finger tight as we weren't sure how being tight would effect setup.

2 young yahoos walked by the path about that time and I drafted them to help set it all up.
It went pretty smooth. 2 men, 2 women, and 2 teen boys got it all up and pinned in place.

The boys needed to go home for dinner so I gave them a ride and bought them $10 milkshakes at the new food truck that was having it's grand opening today. (We have no stores or restaurants here. You would normally have to fly somewhere if you want a burger and shake you didn't make yourself)

Same time I was taking the boys home another coworker showed up to help.
My broad strokes "good enough for who it's for" leveling became glaringly obvious as the horizontal braces were VERY waves. Thankfully Chip (The last guy to show up) turned out to be my details guy and was huge help getting the first wall straight. Thankfully our front porch was turn down last week and so I had lots of scrap 2x6s. (We are getting a double decker arctic entry where the porch was)

I somehow didn't plan ahead enough to have a long tape measure so we will square up the second wall tomorow after church and lunch.
I will probably skip church and go through finish tightning all the connections and wrapping in duct tape to prevent chafing on the cover.
Hopefully finished pictures tomorow.

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: Shelterlogic 18'x28' "Boat Factory"

Post by Fuzz » Sun Jul 02, 2017 3:55 am

Those shelters seem to hold up pretty well. I hope yours works out for you.

Aripeka Angler

Post by Aripeka Angler » Sun Jul 02, 2017 4:37 am

We have one of those shelters in our hunting camp. It's been up for years and has survived some strong winds.
What boat will you be working on in the boat factory?
Richard
Completed boats...XF20 "Red Alert", Aripeka Angler's Strip Canoe, FS18 “Bare Bones”, GF12
Currently building...PY12 Kayak
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. - Loren Eiseley

Eric1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Eric1 » Sun Jul 02, 2017 4:49 am

The things a man will do to build a boat. Love the pictures, keep them coming.

narfi
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by narfi » Sun Jul 02, 2017 6:15 am

Will start with a hc14 and then see how far I can get on a fs17 this season.

blueflood
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by blueflood » Sun Jul 02, 2017 7:56 am

Hi narfie,
Those hold up like a tank. Good choice👍🏻

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff » Sun Jul 02, 2017 9:01 am

Nice boat building factory in Alaska!!! Build on Narfi!!! Jeff

narfi
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by narfi » Mon Jul 03, 2017 1:46 am

1 step forward 2 steps back.........

I tightened all the nuts down and wrapped everything possible with duct tape.
After lunch chip came over with a long tape measure and we squared it up and got all the legs secured down.

End pannels/doors went on easier than expected and looked great!
20170702_171627.jpg
The main cover comes folded like an accordion and we slid 3 poles through the edge and tied 3 ropes to them and threw over the peak. Just then a neighbor boys dad came walking through the yard looking for one of his boys shoes left here so we conscripted him to pull on one of the ropes. It was amazing how easy it was.... literally we just pulled on the 3 ropes and the cover slid over the top and into place.
Just as we tight end the ends down it started raining.
Thankfully we had a new cover to sit under while my wife brought out steaks and potatoes and huge glasses of water.
20170702_211817.jpg
After tightening down the ends we realized our problem.
We had squared off the entire frame and fastened down every leg, however the bottom of each wall has slots which poles slide through and fastened between each leg.
We had leveled each pole and got them perfectly aligned but we never measured them for 4ft between each. Pretty much every one was off .5 to 1 inch and we had to pry out all the nails and slide the legs around to get the wall bottom poles in place.

The next issue is the entire cover seems to want to be toward the back door several inches more than the front. It also seems like we couldn't get it really tight, neither of us wanted to tear anything ratcheting it down to far but both agreed it needs to be tighter.

We zipped it back closed and gave each corner a few more clicks on the ratchets and called it a night.
We need to go back and secure the legs at proper widths and in line. They spring a round a little towards the center when not secured.
We are hoping that time and a sunny day will let us stretch the cover tighter over the frame and get it all more comfy with where it's supposed to be.

I'm happy with the size, seems lime it will give me a good area to work in.
Because we blocked it up for leveling the end doors have an air gap at the bottom I will need to figure out a solution for.
The walls have extra flaps hanging down I need to figure out, I think I can cover them with dirt to make a good seal around the edges.

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack » Mon Jul 03, 2017 5:29 am

Nice going narfi. :D
Completed R13 two part nesting rowboat. ST 21 under construction .... where seeking perfection is recognized as the enemy of the good.

Eric1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Eric1 » Mon Jul 03, 2017 7:22 am

That looks like it will serve you well. I know you'll work out the details but all in all fine job. :D